Load DataWidenersTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Man Eaters of Tsavo

Boolit Master

Man Eaters of Tsavo - What would you choose?

The movie Ghost and the Darkness has always been a favorite of mine and earlier this evening I finally got around to reading the primary source - 'The Man Eaters of Tsavo' (leaflet) written by the Colonel. Was a great, albiet short, read that I enjoyed immensely. It was certainly hunting at a level very few have ever experienced. Being hunted while hunting...

I posted this within this forum because one of the lions is put down with a lead bullet fired from a Martini. I dont know how much energy that round puts out and will have to look it up. He uses his 303 most of the time, which is a caliber I shoot often and have a fondness for. He does mention that the 303 did not have knockdown power against the big lion when he shot it. We all know a 303 with a properly placed shot will kill anything so please let us not debate his choice. He also shoots the lion from almost directly above with a shotgun loaded with a slug and gets minimal penetration. Curious as I would have thought it would be ideal for close range devastation.

I found myself both envious of his adventure and overjoyed not to be there. I myself only have two calibers that I would find preferable for such perilous hunting. A 45-70 (Handi) and a 35 Newton (based on a Mauser Action) that I am carving a stock for. The 35 Newton (cast bullet paper patched) and the multiple shots it offers wins the nod in my book though a single 500 gr boolit from a stoutly loaded 45-70 catrdge would certainly do the trick. What would you carry, currently in your collection and shooting cast, if faced with the same challenge as the Colonel? I say in your collection because he relays convincingly what happens when you borrow a rifle and he did not plan to hunt lions. A reliable and well tested 303 beats the unknown any day. His shots involved near pitch dark, shooting unsure of target location, alone, etc... All to save lives, which makes for a completly different environment than your run of the mill safari with a guide backup.

My original reason for posting was to share his story in pdf form. I uploaded it to my dropbox and am providing a link to the pdf file. Enjoy as I did (can be read in less than an hour).

Leaflet from the Field Museum (short read) https://www.dropbox.com/s/jk11qxrit8...tsavo.pdf?dl=0

Edit to add the full accounting (368 pages) https://ia600500.us.archive.org/21/i...00pattiala.pdf

Attachment 115956
    Last edited by Kevinakaq; 09-10-2014 at 10:14 AM.
    的 won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them." the duke

Boolit Grand Master

Very good read but I never cared for the Hollywood BS in the movie.

Boolit Master

Are those the lions in the Chicago Field museum. ?? I was there years ago to see the U-boat and the Stuka.

Boolit Master

Just more proof lead works and that hitting the mark is far and a way more important than any ballistic chart or formula or the latest wizz banger. I would need a clean pair of shorts but would not feel under gunned with a good old nagant and some 190 gr boolits. Also on the slugs; I've been surprised a few times buy hogs shot at close range with 12 gauge slugs all bit good very few pass throughs bit many of them.still had fight and flight left in them for a bit. Like long enough to gut a dog or run through a cattle fence. From paper seems a hunk of lead going at respectable fps would destroy and disrupt so much bone tissue organs and liquid that it would always be DRT if hit well.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Janoosh View Post
    Are those the lions in the Chicago Field museum. ?? I was there years ago to see the U-boat and the Stuka.
    the very same ones
    的 won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them." the duke

Banned
    Have the Patterson book in my collection. It is 320pgs & took me a lot longer than an hr.

From the platform a 10 or 12 ga. 1st shot 1 or 2 buck, 2 & 3 Breneke slugs, 4 & 5 buck.

On the ground 375 H&H.

Now on my part this is all a WAG, but it is what I used for big bears & I think it would be very comparable.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by tygar View Post
    Have the Patterson book in my collection. It is 320pgs & took me a lot longer than an hr. From the platform a 10 or 12 ga. 1st shot 1 or 2 buck, 2 & 3 Breneke slugs, 4 & 5 buck. On the ground 375 H&H. Now on my part this is all a WAG, but it is what I used for big bears & I think it would be very comparable.
    I should have checked on this as this is the leafleat that he wrote for the Field Muesuem. "This leaflet, prepared by Col. J. H. Patterson, recounts the main events of his remarkable experiences with man-eating lions previously told at greater length in his well-known book "The Man-Eaters of Tsavo." Thanks for pointing this out as I now have to find a PDF of the book or order it today!

EDIT: It didn't take long to find a PDF of the full book which is 368 pages long. Linked below and in the public domain.

https://ia600500.us.archive.org/21/i...00pattiala.pdf
    Last edited by Kevinakaq; 09-10-2014 at 10:27 AM.

I read the book and seen the movie. I think he wrote the 303 was the best at the time because it was a repeater. My best current repeater would be a 338-06 built on a mauser action. I think it can do 2500 FPS with a 250 grain. It's a good shooter with 200 grains at 2800 FPS. I had a CZ .458 Lott for a little while. I learned the thumb of my trigger hand can hit my nose during recoil if not properly shouldered.
    Oh great, another thread that makes me spend money.

Boolit Master

Thanks, that was a good read. I'm guessing that nothing more substantial was available and so he used what at hand and most comfortable with. I'm still guessing at the shotgun failure and what went wrong.

I have the book and it is an good read. The movie stank in my opinion.
    Patterson had a very interesting life and one incident he was involved in inspired Hemingway to write "The Short Happy Life of Francis Macomber".

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Janoosh View Post
    Thanks, that was a good read. I'm guessing that nothing more substantial was available and so he used what at hand and most comfortable with. I'm still guessing at the shotgun failure and what went wrong.
    I am as well. I just talked to my father to let him know I was sending him a used copy of the full book I found on Amazon for less than four bucks. Anyway, I mentioned to him about the slug and he was surprised by that as well as he prefers to hunt with slugs. Were the slugs then loaded with bp? What type of energy would he be getting?

Perma-Banned

The book was a good read but of course the movie made it out to be so much more.

Boolit Master

It's funny when you get a few guns you start forgetting some of the ones you have. I do have a Siamese Mauser in 45-70 that I would consider taking and would be a fine dangerous game rifle. Only problem with it is that it is a scope only rifle and doesn't have sights mounted on it. If it had a peep sight I think it would be my first choice, even above the 35 Newton (a fine dangerous game caliber as well). My 35 Newton still gets the nod though as it features a Lyman Receiver mounted peep sight which would be perfect for such hunting. I have read that a jacketed 35 Newton round can produce in excess of 5,000 ft. lbs of energy which is serious knock down power, but wonder what one could get a paper patched boolit to produce.
    Last edited by Kevinakaq; 09-10-2014 at 11:13 AM.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the PDF. I enjoyed the movie and would like to know more about the real story.
    "I don't want men who miss." -Capt. Leander H. McNelly

Boolit Master

Kevinakaq, as to the shotgun loads.
    I'm guessing that the 303 cartridge was cordite. But, the shotgun load would be black or.??. Given the climate, it's possible the powder charge degraded. If a paper shell, definitely. If a brass case, hmmmm.??
    Off work today and bored, so plenty of time to ponder.

Boolit Buddy
    Robt Ruark's wife killed a lioness intent on wrecking her bird hunt with a 20 bore double and birdshot. I'm guessing it was up close and personal, but shotguns put a lot of energy on their target. For me... a 10 bore S X S loaded with large buckshot. The idea being not so much as DRT, but 'Let's live 'til daylight and deal with a trackable beastie on MY terms..." Local orthodontist had one turn up in the midst of his party (The video of this event went viral... you may have seen it) where they formed a circular firing squad to see how fast they could shoot. A very near run thing. He got knocked down and was still shooting from the upside down prone. There's a reason that all dangerous game guns have control-feed.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus Krile View Post
    There's a reason that all dangerous game guns have control-feed.
    Excellent point indeed!

Janoosh,
    Still thinking on that shotgun blast? If it was a degraded charge perhaps he would have noticed it in the report of the firearm, but then again maybe not as I'm certain his adrenaline was slightly elevated at the time.

I have a Montana rifle company DGR chambered in 505 Gibbs that would be good lion medicine I'm sure as long as I did my part. A 600 grn flat nose wcww boolit at 2200 fps should fell any sort of critter. I would also be confident in using my Benelli M1 stuffed with home made 00 buck.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by CplOswald74 View Post
    I have a Montana rifle company DGR chambered in 505 Gibbs that would be good lion medicine I'm sure as long as I did my part. A 600 grn flat nose wcww boolit at 2200 fps should fell any sort of critter. I would also be confident in using my Benelli M1 stuffed with home made 00 buck.
    That 505 Gibs puts you in the 6000 ft. lbs. of energy neighborhood... A toe shot might be fatal!

Always wanted a Binelli...thought I had one on a good trade a few months back but it eluded me.

I read that a few months ago, a fine account. I keep reading Capsticks books as well, I'm on my 6th now I believe. And I just started reading Corbett as well. The dangerous game hunting stories is fascinating to me. I would use my 375 ruger with 300 grain cast boolits for such a task. 2100-2200fps through the boiler room will take down a lion.
    You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong.
    You cannot bring about prosperity by discouraging thrift.
    You cannot lift the wage earner up by pulling the wage payer down.
    You cannot further brotherhood of a man by inciting class hatred.
    You cannot build character and courage by taking away people痴 initiative and independence.
    You cannot help people permanently by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves.