WidenersLee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataRepackboxRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: which caliber for canada deer

Banned
    As for the OP, those are all good choices but I would lean to the 45-70.
    Inside of 100 yards (or for you Canadians, 91.44 meters) there is no advantage to any of those cartridges. The OP already has brass & molds for 45-70 and it's a great cartridge for deer.

Banned
    As for barrel porting, avoid it like the plague.

Boolit Master
    If you think the 45/70 is too slow, you must be using old trapdoor loads.
    Nope! don't even own one.

Or for that matter a 35 Rem. Frankly I'm not a fan of either. Realistically speaking 45-70 has escaped obsolescence so many times. 30-30 has also. I'm one of those fellows that would advise some other to shoot something in-between in a lever gun. {On this occasion. If these (3) calibers are my only choice 45-70// 30-30 //35 rem.} Why not the 35.

but I've never seen an African Hunter take on dangerous game with fast and light. Just sayin'.
    Good point Sir. Neither have I on TV.
    And I really have no intentions of going to Africa to see first hand anytime soon. (More like never now.)

FWIW: this is a not a dangerous game Hunt. Just a simple straight forward Canadian deer hunt with a simple straight forward lever rifle as suggested. But I have to give credit where credit is due. This OP is taking along a great back up rifle & caliber. (7mm Mag)
    Frankly: The cat is out of the bag so to speak.
    I am leaning strongly towards the 45-70. Now to decide if I want the 1895ss or the 1895G
    _So what I've commented is moot. But the main thing is I certainly hope this OP follows through with his plans of a Canadian trip. People up there are really nice folks and appreciate tourism from the States.

Boolit Master
    If you have the molds and such, .45-70. Me I am more partial to the .30-30

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by OverMax View Post
    I'm one of those fellows that would advise some other to shoot something in-between in a lever gun.
    What would you advise, zero interest in a 450, 444, 308 marlin express but not aware of more choices.

I don't mind odd calibers but not as much in my rifles. I have a 475 linebaugh which is the most odd I dare go.

Boolit Master
    After reading all this, I now have no idea what to recommend for those "Canadian" deer. They must require a whole different rifle, cartridge and bullet than those south of the border.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by goblism View Post
    but have itched for a 45-70 off and on.
    All three will get the job done. Life is to short not to get what you want.

Boolit Grand Master

Why not the 35.
    Ammo and brass for the 35 Remington is currently very hard to find.

http://www.ammo-sale.com/products.asp?cat=9893

http://www.midwayusa.com/find?dimensionids=9804

Cabelas is the only online dealer showing stock http://www.cabelas.com/product/Horna...h-All+Products

Boolit Master
    One dealer having is better than no dealer having. It appears the enduring so many prefer 45-70 and 450 are both on back order. But all those others mentioned by this OP (35 Rem 444 Rem 308 Rem Exp are ) <-all available. So it just goes to show ammo availability is not always as one thinks.
    http://www.cabelas.com/product/Horna...s#productChart

Boolit Grand Master

The OP already has molds and brass so loaded and available ammo is a moot point, IMHO.

I cant wait to get back out with my 45/70.

Small doe quartering away. At least 2-3 foot of penetration and out she went.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
    Last edited by osteodoc08; 09-12-2014 at 08:41 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

It appears the enduring so many prefer 45-70 and 450 are both on back order.
    The OP already has brass and molds and unlike 35 Rem. no shortage online .

http://ammoseek.com/ammo/45-70 151 found for 45/70

http://ammoseek.com/ammo/35-remington 1 found for 35
    Rem.

http://ammoseek.com/ammo/30-30-winchester 282 found for 30-30

I see 30-30 & 45-70 one the shelf all the time. I have been looking for 35 Rem for a year with no luck.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 09-10-2014 at 02:26 PM.

Boolit Master
    I've taken Canadian Whitetail Deer in Manitoba and Ontario with both calibers and up to 300 pounds with the guts still in. Both are good. Three deer with the 45-70 and two nice bucks with a 30-30. Live weights were I hunt tend to average around 150 to 200 pounds.

Vendor Sponsor

If I ever get to go hunting in Canada I will be taking my newly refurbished#4 Mk1. Hornaday makes really nice 174 gr Round Nose bullets and Woodleigh makes a 215 gr RN also.

The 314299's that I am casting for this gun would need HP treatment to be effective on game as otherwise I fear they would simply poke a 5/16" hole thru the critter and keep on going.

I think it is prudent to consider the origin of any game animal a pay special attention to what the proper traditional arm is to take said animal . Anything from a .243 up will do the job, and in some cases with smaller deer like Blacktail's even a .223 would be enough, however hunting in a Sportsman's context (as opposed to hunting for food) should include some local tradition as to the arm as well. Kind of like picking the right club from your golf bag.

When hunting the Queens Critters I feel a .303 is kind of mandatory for most of them. An Enfield is the obvious choice even though there are other guns which use this cartridge. In the US I feel the Traditional Hunter would use a Springfield or Levergun or a vintage M70 or Rem 700 or other earlier "obsolete" weapon.

Very few "new guns" interest me, and I'm sure others feel that way as well.

Just some things to ponder on your way to the grocery store.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    I think it is prudent to consider the origin of any game animal a pay special attention to what the proper traditional arm is to take said animal .
    Agreed -- Never really thought about it but I normally hunt big game with Trapdoor Springfield's, a 1946 vintage model 94 or a 1949 Model 70. I do have a nice longbranch that would love to go hunting in Canada. I just picked up a Savage 99 from the late 70's that needs to go deer hunting also.

Just watch for this kinda deer, they like blueberry muffins.

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master

Over many years, I killed scores of Canadian animals. Most were done-in with a .30'06, but the .303 was well-represented in the list as well.

Virtually all of my hunting loads, once I became a handloader in the mid-'60s, used Nosler Partitions (with perfect success.... never lost an animal, out of well over 100.)

Many of my moose were taken with the .303, using Canadian Industries' factory loads. Again, perfect performance. These loads also worked on bears on a few rather-urgent occasions.

A GOOD thirty-caliber bullet in the right place will kill cleanly. The only applications in North America where I really prefer heavier horsepower is on the big bears and bison, and this pinion is based on experience. I did carry a .303 as defense against polar bears, but had perfect confidence in the rifle and the load for this use... again based on experience. Defense at close range is quite different from the demands imposed by shots taken when hunting, perhaps at several hundred yards. The .303 at extreme close range WITH GOOD BULLETS is very capable.

Always, the great caveat is "with good bullets".

Randy, if I HAD to use a .303 with cast loads, you can bet your boots (or, your life?) that the bullets would be cast as softpoints. It's easy to do, and performance is far more consistent than hollowpoints.

Except for the previously-cited big bears and bison, I would happily hunt most of North America with a Lee Enfield .303..... or its near-twin cartridge, the .30-40 Krag.
    Regards from BruceB in Nevada

"The .30'06 is never a mistake." - Colonel Townsend Whelen

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I have an old Indian buddy who is a guide in northern Canada. He has lots of guns, but always uses his old .303 with slow round nosed bullets.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Vendor Sponsor

While we're on the subject I guess you should be wearing a Stormy Kromer Hat as well. Just sayin'

Be gone for a few days guys. See Ya Monday.

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 09-12-2014 at 03:26 AM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    While we're on the subject I guess you should be wearing a Stormy Kromer Hat as well. Just sayin'

Be gone for a few days guys. See Ya Monday.

Randy
    Never seen one of those up here, it isn't orange.

Boolit Grand Master

That hat is better than some brightly colored leotards. LOL