WidenersLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Snyders Jerky Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Largest Casting Session to Date

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post
    Lots of fun.....I tell the wife it keeps me out of the bars and warehouses! HA.......ha.

banger

Exactly what I tell my wife.

Quote Originally Posted by prs View Post
    Your sequence is close to right, just make sure you fill the first mould, open the spru plate and then sit it on wood. Repeat with second mould, then empty the first. Begin second cycle and so on.
    To me it seems like the only time savings there would be giving the mold several secs to cool before opening as you still are waiting for the sprue to harden before you cut.

Once you factor in the time to swap molds around I'm not sure. I guess if I saw a video it might make more sense. I'm a big visual person.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by McE1911 View Post
    Red333, what kind of mold is that? Seems like it gives you the option to produce HP & FP at the same time. is that right?
    It has 3 way to cast, small HP, large HP and solid, it is a Mihec 10mm - 200gr WFN / .40s&w - 180gr HP, 4-cavity, Brass mold.
    A group buy from the past, I like it so much I have 3 diff weights, 180, 170 and 160 gr.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...4-cavity-Brass
    We have 7 Glock 40S&W and all of them like it a lot.
    Je suis Charlie
    ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rednecks run the Brits out of this country years ago,
    I will defend this country from anyone or thing that tries to take it from me or mine
    I AM A REDNECK!!!
    "If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government,our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." Samuel Adams, 1776

Boolit Master

You got it together 1911KY. Got you some great looking refills. And I feel the same way...cast to reload and shoot more or shoot and reload to cast more???
    May all your bullets find the Bullseye.

I speckled a few of them with some DTPC last night.

"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."
    - Samuel Adams

COTEP CBOB0736

You definitely want that 4-20 and 6 banger. I did this last month on a nice evening after dinner
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P6294966_zpse3fe8948.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	77.7 KB 
ID:	115456

I made an even bigger pile last weekend in 2.5 hours of casting. 30 pounds of .40 cal bullets. I should have taken a picture of that, but I have already powder coated half of them and loaded and shot a bunch of those!

Boolit Grand Master

Nice work, that's an extremely small cull rate so you were doing everything right. Now get back to us when you produce a batch that numbers in the thousands

Boolit Buddy

I haven't cast any either as it has been near a hundred here during the day and only drops to the 80's in the evening, got to get cooler for me to before I heat the pot up.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 1911KY View Post
    I think a 20 lb pot and a couple 6 bangers are in my future! Now to scrounge some more lead...
    Good job! I ordered the TL version of that mould for a trial run, then bought the six banger and cast a REALLY big pile after I decided my Colts liked it. I pulled brass out of everywhere and in short order my 550 had come out of retirement and I had 2K rounds loaded. I don't generally mess with pistol ammo but after spending almost $50 for a short practice session with factory ammo I reached my limit.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master

I only do 250 -300 per session and it takes longer than a couple of hours too. Some are saying it's to hot but if the rain would stop then getting 'er done would be easy. Is what it is and can't do anything about the weather.
    Lead bullets Matter

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves. - Will Rodgers

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 1911KY View Post
    It would be a dance for sure! Pour the first, set it down, pour the second set it down, grab the first and dump and set it on the hot plate. Grab the second and dump and set it on the hot plate. Grab the first and repeat process!

20 lbs would go fast for sure...a hot plate is a must for that kind of process.
    It actually works pretty smooth, just have to establish the sequence and a rhythm. All you're doing is utilizing the downtime you'd spend waiting for the alloy to cool when running a single six-banger. I find it produces better boolits because I'd get impatient and overheat the mould when using a single six-banger.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Garyshome View Post
    Need to wait for it to get a bit cooler here in NC, It was 90 something today!
    I'm with you, I'm in need of a bunch of cast, not interested in doing it in my non-airconditioned man cave when it's this hot outside...