WidenersSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingLee PrecisionLoad Data
Titan Reloading Repackbox

Thread: MAS 49/56, need hard primers?

Boolit Man

MAS 49/56, need hard primers?

This afternoon I'll be picking up a MAS I won at auction. I still need to get some mag's for it but have been reading that it needs heavy primers or you have slam fires. Should I buy 7.5x54 Prvi ammo for it or just get brass to be safe?

I think , I read privi changed to mag primers for that reason. But if not you will get your brass emptied quick maybe somebody who has shot some will chime in soon.

Boolit Buddy
    You should buy a spare firing pin. I read that you take alittle off the tip. Making it alittle blunt. Spreading out the contact area.

Generous Donator

I use the milsurp spec CCI primers and Remington LR primers in mine to stop the slam fires. Of course if you can still find some milsurp 7.5 x 54 ammo buy it. They are berdan and are ring crimped so unless you are really patient they aren't easy to reload.

PRVI is fine, just be sure that you only chamber rounds from the magazine - and keep the weapon pointed in a safe direction! It definitely is a rifle prone to slam-fires. I had an AD with one after clearing a jam and single loading the loose cartridge. Fortunately I was observing rule number two and it found the berm. Still disconcerting!

Banned
    Never had any problems with my MAS 49/56.
    i used Winchester,CCI, etc standard LRP. No Slam fires

Boolit Master

My memory may be acting up again, but I seem to recall somebody making a titanium firing pin for the MAS49/56 to eliminate the slam fire problem.

I worked with a MAS49/56 a little bit and didn't have any problems with slam fire so its not a given that you'll have a problem. I used Swedish military primed cases opened up to .30 caliber. No problems at all.

Dutch

Banned
    Mine will slam fire about 30% of the time with anything but CCI #34 primers. When 49/56s were first imported, someone made an aftermarket firing pin spring so it wouldn't "float" and slamfires wouldn't occur. Never bothered, #34s solved the problem for me.

Boolit Man
    I have been doing searches and found an $88.00 titanium pin, but also found a $30.00 kit with a steel pin with a return spring. I e-mailed to ask if it is a drop in kit and if it's likely to solve problems with soft primers.
    http://murraysguns.com/cart.htm
    Kit is at bottom of page.