Snyders JerkyWidenersTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Load Data

Thread: Lyman 4500 broke

Boolit Buddy

Lyman 4500 broke

Well, this bolt snapped, no warning it was going to go.

Took me surprise, some choice expletives followed loudly. That was just lubing some 30-cals.

Wish they'd make them stronger, only had this from new a few months.

Boolit Master
    Prior to buying a 4500, I'd read, here, that the linkage bolts could break. As soon as I received it, I replaced the original bolts with Grade 8 and the nuts with Nylocks.

Boolit Master
    Same thing happened here. A quick visit to the hardware store when I was in town fixed the problem. Grab a couple of extras while you are at it. They're cheap, in the grand scheme of things. Check the lower hole on the handle as well. Mine elongated and broke out after a period of sizing down .458's to .452 for paper patching. Replaced the handle with one fabricated from tool steel, fitted to the press. Problem(s) solved.

Boolit Master

Mine let loose a few years ago. As mentioned quick trip to ACE hardware and back in business.
    Does take you by surprise, though!
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Master
    Grade 8 and lubing the pivot holes. Lube the luber. lol

prs

I would advise against the stronger bolts. I tried that and the damned linkage casting cracked. Perhaps that's why the bolts are deliberately made from cheese.

Boolit Master
    That linkage is the weak point and will break before the cheapo bolts do usually, at least it does for me!

Boolit Bub
    Same problem here.I upgraded to a better quality bolt but be careful of the linkage as another weak link. I also upgraded the linkage but I now am very careful of not over stressing the unit. I have also just picked up a RCBS unit. I think they may be better built. My experence around farm equip.-- there are stress bolts all over to break before a major gear box breaks.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by fred2892 View Post
    I would advise against the stronger bolts. I tried that and the damned linkage casting cracked. Perhaps that's why the bolts are deliberately made from cheese.
    Probably built in as a weak link on purpose. Lots of things are made that way. I would much rather break a cheap bolt I can find local than something more expensive I have to order.

Boolit Master DaveInFloweryBranchGA's Avatar
    Having owned one of those lymans and knowing the state of their customer service, my suggestion is to replace the bolt, sell it and get yourself a brand new Magma Star from Lathesmith on this forum. Get your dies from him as well, premium quality, much faster than the lyman and if you take care of it, no breakage issues.

Boolit Buddy
    Just to tidy this up, Lyman apologized and sending a new bolt direct.

Meantime, I fitted a titanium part-threaded bolt I got from car race-engine suppliers. Hardly any weight to these things, amazing material. Perfect fit and never had sizing/lubing feel so rock-solid, I think the original bolt was bent for a long time before it just snapped.

Dave - Magma' definately on my Christmas wish-list, I know that gear is the best.

titanium ... wears a bit quicker than steel but does offer different sheer characteristics
    Je suis Charlie

" To sit in judgment of those things which you perceive to be wrong or imperfect is to be one more person who is part of judgment, evil or imperfection."
    Wayne Dyer
    if it was easy would it be as worthy ? or as long of lasting impression ? the hardest of lessons are the best of teachers [shrugz]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLzFhOslZPM

Banned
    Change mine to grade 8 bolts after blogs failed.
    No issues for 10 years.