RepackboxRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationTitan ReloadingWideners
Lee Precision

Thread: Lyman Deerstalker .50

Boolit Bub

Lyman Deerstalker .50

I've always had a fascination with muzzle-loaders, particularly flintlock , but never really acted on it. Recently I've been doing a lot of reading about them and decided to just get it over with and buy one. I just want a muzzle-loader for that occasional (once a month or so) range trip, and I don't really need anything pretty, function is more important. I do plan on casting my own rb and my understanding is that 1:48 will work just fine for them. My experience with mls is limited to shooting a percussion ml 15 years ago that my father never shot in almost 3 decades.

Just wanted to get some input about the Deerstalker as a muzzle-loader to get started on.

Thanks.

Boolit Grand Master

Should be a good starter gun. Should also shoot small conicals reasonably well.
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Master
    I like mine. Though I see the recoil pad isn't necessary, and the fiber optic from sight is rather large. I'm thinking I'll replace them with standard sights.

Mine has done OK at 50 yds will a PRB, but very well with the Lee REALs of 320 grns when I used wads. I've yet to really work on an accurate load though, and barely got it broken in with ~200 shots. And I've also noticed just how poor my eyesight really is at 50 yds. I didn't think 20/60 was all that bad...

If you will only be shooting PRB's and only going to a range you may want to consider their Great Plains Rifle with the slower twist, which should be a bit more accurate.

Make sure you get the blued model if shooting pRB as the stainless has shallow grooves meant for conicals.

Boolit Bub
    I actually wanted the 1:48 so that I would have the ability to shoot other projectiles. I was considering getting the Lee rb/REAL dual mold.

There isn't much of a difference in terms of performance between the .50 and .54 cals, correct?
    Last edited by jiandawg; 08-23-2014 at 04:22 PM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jiandawg View Post
    There isn't much of a difference in terms of performance between the .50 and .54 cals, correct?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by jiandawg View Post
    I actually wanted the 1:48 so that I would have the ability to shoot other projectiles. I was considering getting the Lee rb/REAL dual mold.

54 gives you a slight edge over a 50 but either will do well. 54 should shoot conicals a little better being a larger caliber.
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Master
    50 cal. conicals shoot better for me than the 54's. and the 54 has a bit more recoil with heavier loads.

Boolit Master
    The 1-48 is a bit more versatile especially if you plan to hunt. more trial and error, but once you find that sweet load, you got it made.

Boolit Master
    Fun rifle. Just don't get to serious over its targeting right from the get go. This type of rifle takes a little getting use too so I was told when I got mine. Almost 30 years ago.

Boolit Bub
    I don't really plan on hunting any time soon. I was able to get most of that out of my system when I was a kid in Montana. Though it is nice to have that opton (another reason to get a ml that you don't have to worry about the finish on).

I'm not too worried about target shooting with this as much as just plinking at an 18in gong. If the muzzle loading bug develops into a full blown affliction I'll buy a nicer rifle.

Boolit Master
    A .54 will certainly have a little more wallop. And with a ball it has a little higher BC value so will buck the wind further down the line better.

A .50 uses a little less lead, and usually a little less powder. And it will usually have a little less arc in the trajectory. And there's more accessories and whatnot.

I chose the .50 because it was more popular, and thought I'd likely be shooting modern bullets in sabots. Now I view it as I can easily take any medium game with a PRB within 100 yds or so, and I can take large game by moving up to a conical.

Boolit Master
    I have the Deerstalker in 50 cal percussion and we've taken quite a few deer with it, all using patched ball. I keep it zeroed at 100 yards. Mine came with the folding rear open sight and a white bead front. I installed a Lyman aperture tang sight, which I like. Took my last deer with that setup. If I had it to do over I'd probably go for for the slightly longer Trade Gun, but the DS will certainly do the job.

Perma-Banned
    as I heard it put one time : "a 54 will do everything a 50 will but a 50 won't do everything a 54 will". but I doubt the margin either way is enough to worry about. luck & have a good'en, bubba.

Boolit Bub
    On a related note, I was about put together an order to go along with the rfile and was planning on getting some 3f powder (which I understand can be used for the load as well as the pan). Just wanted to make sure I didn't get my info confused. Also what is the expected number of firings I should get out of a single flint? I've read posts where people say anywhere from 30 to "I've had the same flint for years."
    Last edited by jiandawg; 08-24-2014 at 08:59 AM.

Boolit Bub
    I actually did look at the trade gun for the extra barrel length, but wasn't too enthused about the crescent butt. I've got a few rossi m92s and I'm not a fan of the metal on shoulder recoil, though that may have more to do with the ruger only 45 colt and 454 casull loads...

Boolit Master
    I intend on buying a few barrels for my DS, one of them being a Trade Rifle barrel which will drop right in, to have reamed smooth to 28 ga. I REALLY like the idea of several barrels making it something like a T/C Contender.

Boolit Master
    I've read the same thing about 3F working well in the pan.

Boolit Master
    As far as flint. That depends on the type of flint used. As far as what I know on the subject. Harder flint gives more use. But its also harder on your rifles frizzen. (wear) On the other-hand softer flint is the exact opposite. As I see it. If parts are available especially (frizzens) in this case. Use whatever flint. If parts are few. Look to a softer flint but no doubt you will be changing your flint more often.