Titan ReloadingWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionRepackbox
Load Data Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Show your setup! Pics and descriptions, please...

Boolit Bub

Show your setup! Pics and descriptions, please...

I am a casting virgin, hard to say I am a virgin at anything at 54 years old.

I am in the process of investigating setting up to cast in low volumes ( 100 or so at a run ) and I envision casting in 45-70, .30 rifle, and .38 revolver / pistol. Although I own guns in many calibers, these seem to be the candidates. I could add .40 pistol, but I digress.

Like many noobs I am contemplating Lee, Lyman, and RCBS smelters, but what I would like to see and hear about is how you are setup.

I live in South Florida, and casting in my garage would be in 90 F heat, not ideal. I might want to setup outside on the north end of my house. I have nothing really to start with, except guns, and ammo.

Please school me and the others that would like to see your bench.

D

I too, am new to casting, but I have begun to accumulate equipment and lead. Here is what I have acquired and how I plan to use it. I will get pics posted tomorrow.

I have a 110V Lee Production Pot, Lee ladle, Lyman thermometer, Aroma hot plate, 4 total bullet molds all Lee 2 cavities (2 for 45s, 1 for 9mm and 1 for .38s), Lee sizing dies for each caliber, flat aluminum pot catch pan and as much lead as I can find. I plan to cast in my garage on my work bench with a fan blowing to keep any fumes away. I will use the hot plate to bring my molds up to temp and keep them there if need be. I am thinking about mounting my pot to something with a little more weight to it as the pot frame is rather light.

For smelting I have a 60,000 btu Bayou propane burner from Home Depot, a cast iron skillet about 3" deep, 4 cast iron ingot molds (2 egg pans, 1 cornbread pan & 1 muffin pan), 1 aluminum muffin pan for ingots, long iron ladle for pouring ingots, welders gloves, face shield, NIOSH N95 particulate masks, stainless steel vented dross spoon, aluminum dross pans and I am accumulating sawdust for flux. I plan to smelt outside in my backyard as far away from the house as I can get. I will lay a towel in my wheel barrow to transport my cooled ingots back to my garage. Where I will be storing them in heavy duty plastic storage containers sitting on the Harbor Freight furniture movers so I can wheel them under my work bench with ease.

I also have a toaster oven that will come in handy when I go to bake on the Hi-Tek coating for my bullets. Still need to work out a drying rack, but I have a little time before I get to that phase of the process. Looking at some close knit metal mesh or kitchen draining screen.

Hope this gives you an idea of what you will need. Pics are forthcoming.
    "The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."
    - Samuel Adams

COTEP CBOB0736

Boolit Master

I'm moving into a larger house and will have a room all to my reloading, instead of a closet! Until my shop is built for my casting, I want to make my new room set-up for reloading as nice as possible. I am considering picking up some used kitchen cabinets from the local shops. I can refinsh them to my liking and store the heavy boolits in the lower cabinets.

Some overhead cabinets would be nice to for powder and gas check storage. Could also store brass there too, I believe, as it's not too heavy.

How is your set-up?
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

I fall you are going to cast is 100 don't bother, too much prep/setup time to mess with that. It will take 20 min to melt the lead. I use 2 bottom pour pots a #10 and #20 [This way there is little down time waiting for lead to melt ,way faster casting, Melting in 1 pot casting from the other. Depending on the mold I'll cast 2 different boolits [molds] at a time, I try to use 6 cavity molds if that is what I need to cast that day. I water drop everything so I can check for fill out constantly. I won't cast less then 3 or 400 per session usually more [400 is filling a 6 cavity mold around 70 times]. So you get 54 123 gr boolits out of #1 lead. It's hard work casting, I like to knock it out and get on to other things. Cast in the winter time & cast enough so you don't have to cast when it's 90 outside.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Garyshome View Post
    I fall you are going to cast is 100 don't bother, too much prep/setup time to mess with that. It will take 20 min to melt the lead. I use 2 bottom pour pots a #10 and #20 [This way there is little down time waiting for lead to melt ,way faster casting, Melting in 1 pot casting from the other. Depending on the mold I'll cast 2 different boolits [molds] at a time, I try to use 6 cavity molds if that is what I need to cast that day. I water drop everything so I can check for fill out constantly. I won't cast less then 3 or 400 per session usually more [400 is filling a 6 cavity mold around 70 times]. So you get 54 123 gr boolits out of #1 lead. It's hard work casting, I like to knock it out and get on to other things. Cast in the winter time & cast enough so you don't have to cast when it's 90 outside.
    If I get to this, I intend to cast 400 gr boolits, most likely 2 at a time or one at time, so it is a little different. They will be hard and have gas checks, too.

D

Boolit Master

Start with the two cavity Lee molds. They are cheap enough to be almost disposable.

If you decide you don't like it you are out less than 20 bucks.

If you do like it and want to cast/shoot more then you can graduate to more expensive tools.
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Second the 2 cavity molds.... If you don't know what you are doing (which still applies to me occasionally) the 6 cavity molds are a bit finicky. Also some cheap-o welding gloves would be in good order, I have a pair that comes up to my elbow.
    You better watch where you go and remember where you been
    That's the way I see it I'm a Simple Man. - Charlie Daniels
    For if you forgive other people when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive others their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins. -Matthew 6:14-15

Boolit Master
    Start with your 38 revolver.

Order a LEE mold for the 38. Also order a .358 sizing die with ALOX lube.
    Find some lead.

Have a Colman stove? Use that or an equivalent. Make a charcoal fire out side if you want.

Go to Goodwill or equivalent. Buy a steel sauce pan, Steel ladle, Steel spoon.

Your in business!!!!

Sort of... You need safety equipment. Leather gloves, face shield, long sleeve shirt ect.
    Last edited by A pause for the COZ; 08-12-2014 at 10:50 PM.

I'll give you my take on a year of casting. First, do what others say, get cheap lee mold. Pick what ever you want to use to test. Get a lee pot. I got a 4- 20 and it works well, few dollars more was worth it. I would get lead from one of the guys selling here. To easy to do and helps keep the guys here. Along with knowing what you are buying. Forget smelting, no reason to think about it. Especially smaller volumes. Yes gloves. I had a pair of cheap insulated driving gloves I had screwed-up changing a tire, they work well. My garage is usually below 90 when I cast, but it isn't that bad. I'd probably try to use w/of sizing, but search the site for help with the caliber you decide on. Enjoy

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by A pause for the COZ View Post

Find some lead.

Have a Colman stove? Use that or an equivalent. Make a charcoal fire out side if you want.

Your in business!!!!

Sort of... You need safety equipment. Leather gloves, face shield, long sleeve shirt ect.

THAT's good advice.
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Simple setupClick image for larger version. 

Name:	garage 011.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	51.3 KB 
ID:	113412

As promised...here is my pot and ladle and setup where I will probably cast from..

I did add some guides to the wood block to hold the pot in place.

Here is my smelting setup that will be used outside.

Gloves, face shield, dross pan and dross spoon.

What I plan to use for ingot molds.

"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."
    - Samuel Adams

COTEP CBOB0736

Boolit Grand Master

William's advice is sound and practical.
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Boolit Bub
    The only Lee double mould in 45-70 that has a gas check is 500 gr. That bullet does not get to more than about 1500 fps in the 1895 marlin and it is not really necessary. I need a mould in 300, 350, or 400 gr with a gas check.

Boolit Bub
    Looks good 1911KY... How about others?

Moderator Emeritus

I cast in a Upstairs room...the kitchen, as this house was setup as a duplex, but I live here alone. The Bench is a modified butcher block (real wood, not laminate on partical board) dining table, I bolted to the wall after I cut it down to size...$10 at a garage sale. I prefer to 'see' the silver stream, so I mounted the furnace atop a block, it is also bolted securely.

I smelt WW's on a coleman stove with a 4 QT SS Soup pot on the back of a trailer.

I pour the ingots on the back of another trailer. The trailers are parked next to each other.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Buddy
    I live in Palm Beach, i do all of my casting in the garage. i have a fan above it so the fumes rise and get sucked into fan and out garage away from me. i cast for 9mm, 40, 45, 45-70, 30 cal, 35 rem. for the 45-70 either the Lee 405GR mold or RCBS will serve you well. i chose the RCBS 405 FNGC and the Marlin GBL loves them. sub moa @ 100 yards. I use a lee 4-20 modified & a PID controller. I use a combination of lee push thru sizers and a RCBS LamII.

I am only 1-1/2 hours away if you ever are heading north and want to stop by and get a little more knowledge or a tutorial let me know

Ron

Boolit Grand Master

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by A pause for the COZ View Post

Find some lead.

Your in business!!!!

The Lee alox is good lube and easy to use but I find it very smokey especially for an indoor range. I am currently experimenting with some easy to make lube from here on site. Some are really good and cheap to make and so far work very well.

I second the safety equipment, especially protect your eyes." This aint no fun if you're blind"

Boolit Grand Master

This was all in the past. I have since gotten rid of all my reloading/casting equipment as well as all my evil firearms.

Processing

Casting
    You can see the sprue dump pan in the bottom right.

Sprue dump pan on the left. Bullet pan on the right w/ a towel in it to cushion the fall.

Bullet pan full of finished product.

More bullets

One w/ a mold posing
    Apparently I like taking pics of the bullet pan.

My elbow hurts just looking at this pic knowing all of them needed to be sized and lubed.