Snyders JerkyRepackboxRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionInline FabricationLoad Data
Titan Reloading Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: glock doesnt like lswc suggestions

glock doesnt like lswc suggestions

I have a gen 3 g30 which I swapped out to a kkm barrel so I could shoot my cast boolits. todays range test had no FTF using a lrn , but my lscw had 6 FTF this was from a total of 200 rounds fired. All re-fed manually so it puzzles me. the 200gr Lswc were originally loaded for my SF 1911 which ate everything. the LSWC col was 1.255 with 4.5gr of AA#2.
    the 200gr lrn col was 1.225. Im wondering to go longer of shorter with the lswc.
    "Make things as simple as possible, but no simpler" Albert Einstien

Boolit Master
    Glocks are notorious for not feeding SWC due to the angle of the rounds feeding from the magazine. The ejecting brass always seems to hang on the shoulder of the SWC at the top of the magazine. I have a 30SF myself and have resigned myself to only shooting RN or RNFP in it. I shoot the SWC in my 1911.

yes that was my original thinking as well. Just thought it would be great to have only one setup. What load data do you use with the lrn? C.O.L. mainly. ??

Love Life
    Have you tried the same load in the factory barrel? It won't blow your gun up...I promise.

Boolit Grand Master

I have a dickens of a time getting lswc to feed in my Kahr's too. I've pretty much given up on them and also switched to rnfp although I have been able to get the Lee 452-230 TC to work.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    I have a Lone Wolf barrel in my G30 SF. I get around 95% perfect function using the Lyman 452630 (200 gr SWC) in the G30 which works best for me at a COAL of 1.245. The G30 may go 50 rds without an FTF but I'm always expecting a problem with the SWC. My CZ 97B is a 100% tack driver with the 200 gr SWC. For dependability I keep the G30 loaded with Lyman 452374 (230 gr LRN).

Vendor Sponsor

jonp your Kahr probably has a .451" throat like mine does. No style of .452" boolit will plunk in this barrel unless it is set so deep in the case there is no shoulder at all in front of the case mouth.

I have been reaming tight barrels like these and they will take a 255-RF boolit sized to .452" when I get done with them. Just did a KKM for a Glock which had a .4525" or .453" freebore but just not far enough up the barrel to seat the 255-RF. It plunks them now!
    Last edited by DougGuy; 08-12-2014 at 08:38 PM.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

I tried a run of .451 lswc early on in the factory barrel , and yea these swc are .452 but the kkm barrel should handle that. And the lrn are .452 also,which made me think about COL. Maybe 1.245 would work on the lswc. hmmm

Banned
    I could never get my rcbs 45-201 swc to feed in either my g30 or g21. Might go a few rounds but would always get at least 1 every 2 mags...usually 2-3 every mag. Finally sold off the mold to someone here & now use strictly rn. Never a feed issue in either with stock barrels.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed_Shot View Post
    For dependability I keep the G30 loaded with Lyman 452374 (230 gr LRN).
    Great mold. It's all I use in my glock 45's.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by edadmartin View Post
    yes that was my original thinking as well. Just thought it would be great to have only one setup. What load data do you use with the lrn? C.O.L. mainly. ??
    Overall length depends on your individual chamber. Make up a dummy round and plunk test until you get down to the length that fits your particular chamber. Measure this against published minimums to make sure you are not too short and verify that it functions with your magazine. I think you will find that more times than not that it is the length the magazine will handle that is your governing factor.

Boolit Master
    Not a semi wadcutter, but my 19 eats a 356402 up as well as Lee's truncated cone.

Boolit Grand Master
    http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/b....php?entryID=4

A boolit like this may work better. The longer nose seems to help. Surprisingly, the LEE 125 gr. RF works very well in Glocks.
    only a rare failure to cycle.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Glocks & XD, not LSWC friendly. I would stick to RN or TCFP. I cast these 200gr for my XD & every other 45 I own. It's a Magma mold.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

I second the idea of seating them deeper. My 20 will eat anything if you set the COAL to what it likes. Thats out of the stock barrel.
    The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
    -Thomas Jefferson
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I haven't tried LSWC in a Glock yet, but I have 2 1911s. A Springfield TRP that loves LSWC bullets and a Para Ordinance with a ramped barrel that has yet to reliably cycle any of the LSWC bullets that I have tried.

colohunter my SA 1911 will fire lswc rn rnfp, its the Glock that doesn't. I think the 1.255 that I use on the springfield is to long for the Glock. Ill have to load a couple batches with different col maybe like 1.245 1.225 . As I seat deeper will I need to adjust the powder load to keep pressures correct? right now I load accurate #2 4.5gr

the magma mold tcfp sound like it might work on the glock as well as the 1911.

Boolit Master

I don't have a Glock 30, but have several (22 and 23) and they feed the 401-145 SWC just fine. I also run a 358-105 SWC in a Lone Wolf 9mm conversion barrel and it feeds fine.

I would think the 452-200 RF would feed fine and I'm tempted to pick up that mold. Mostly, I've been running a 450-200 1R when I want to run a 200 grain boolit in the 1911. Ya, that is the boolit mold for the 1858 Remington Percussion Copy and is tapered. The base is supposed to cast about .450 and the front band is about .453. I actually have 2 of that mold, one is a double cavity, the other is a single cavity HP mold. They haven't made that in a while.

The HP mold actually casts fat at about .4515 at the base and .454 at the front band. It sizes nicely to .452 and works great with a plain based gas check made from soda can. Lately, I've been skipping the gas check and just powder coating. I have noticed that the PB check does tighten the groups a bit which is a plus. Next time I'm back in the springs I might have to send you some. For now, I'm out west in Northern CA which is where I do most of my casting anyway.
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

Quote Originally Posted by edadmartin View Post
    colohunter my SA 1911 will fire lswc rn rnfp, its the Glock that doesn't. I think the 1.255 that I use on the springfield is to long for the Glock. Ill have to load a couple batches with different col maybe like 1.245 1.225 . As I seat deeper will I need to adjust the powder load to keep pressures correct? right now I load accurate #2 4.5gr
    I'm wondering if it has to do with the ramped barrel. My Para and the Glock share a ramped barrel, where as my Springfield 1911 has the traditional ramp on the frame. I think the ramped barrel has a steeper feed angle, which could contribute to the bullets not feeding properly. I'm planning on ordering a Lee 230 RN TL mold to see if it functions in the Para.