WidenersReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Inline FabricationRepackboxSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The viet nam moving wall

Boolit Grand Master

Where our governors, congressmen AND THEIR WIVES make our license plates

The viet nam moving wall

In case anyone in the Chicagoland area is interested.

The Moving Wall Vietnam Memorial will be in Proksa Park, Berwyn IL this week. It's a half sizes replica of the Vietnam Memorial, which is moved around the country for people to see. It will be in Berwyn from August 7th through the 11th. The park's in a nice part of town, and it's a free event as well.

http://movingwall.berwynparks.org/
    WE WON. WE BEAT THE MACHINE. WE HAVE CCW NOW.

Boolit Master
    The first time it came to a nearby town, I couldn't bring myself to get any closer than about 50-yards. A few years later, it came to my town and my wife and I spent a good while there. Though I don't know any of the names displayed, it was still a very moving experience.

I was in-country June '68/June '69.

Also, our Iraq and Afghanistan veterans deserve nothing less.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    It visits Hawthorne Nv almost every Armed Forces Day weekend. It is sobering.

The weekend before Memorial Day most years, Its Hawthornes big todo.
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 462 View Post
    The first time it came to a nearby town, I couldn't bring myself to get any closer than about 50-yards. A few years later, it came to my town and my wife and I spent a good while there. Though I don't know any of the names displayed, it was still a very moving experience.

I was in-country June '68/June '69.

Also, our Iraq and Afghanistan veterans deserve nothing less.
    I hear that. When I went to visit it when it came to Vancouver, Wa. some years back, I too couldn't get any closer than 50 yards. I just sat down and wept for a bit then walked away. Too many old friends from my time there until the evacuation.

Boolit Buddy
    I've visited the wall in DC and wept with no shame. Two names etched there were classmates and friends. The need to reach out to them, to let them know I will never forget them was overwhelming.

Boolit Buddy
    I have seen both. I actually was more moved by the portable one.

I found the real wall in DC to be packed shoulder to shoulder three people deep to see it. It really took away from the experience.

I would highly recommend anyone to go see it if they can.

Boolit Master

I viewed it a very long time ago a nice lady took me to the wall and I got some rubbings of some I knew including a cousin that I should of been the one that brought him home but we were in different branches of the military. It is supposed to be in idaho some time soon just might go see it again, no one to hold me up this time though. It is like for me those on the wall are there especially late in the day when the shadows start falling over the wall.
    Beware of a government that fears its citizens having the means to protect themselves.
    NRA Patron member
    Veteran

Boolit Grand Master

I and my sweetie have been honored to be allowed to stand guard at The Traveling Wall on several occasions. It is a good experience for everyone to go and see.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master

The LAST State to allow Conceal Carry -The new 5O
    They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
    Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
    At the going down of the sun and in the morning
    We will remember them.

For our tomorrow
    They gave their today
    Last edited by DCP; 08-08-2014 at 05:38 PM.
    LOYALTY ABOVE ALL ELSE, EXCEPT HONOR

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading." -- Thomas Jefferson

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
    Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

Boolit Master
    God bless them. Freedom isn't free
    "It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees" Looking for an RCBS Ammomaster and H&R shotgun barrels regardless of condition

Boolit Master

Been to the Wall in DC 2 times, never seen or had the chance to see the traveling wall. Good friends brother is on there. Fortunate not to know anyone in my unit that was KIA.
    10-x

NRA Endowment
    H.R.M.S.
    N.F.A.C.
    RVN Veteran
    VFW
    "The short memories of the American voters is what keeps our politicians in office"------Will Rogers

Boolit Master

Traveling wall is worth the visit. They have a good system. I had the name of four friends. They quickly found them on a computer and gave me the coordinates. Didn't leave dry eyed for a fact./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Banned

It's going to be here later this month. We already have commitments for my students to do a few color guards and some ushering duties. I've seen it before and also been to the one in D.C., very moving.

Boolit Master

Never been to Washington, twice to the traveling wall, wasn't quite up to it the last time it was local. I left two cigerattes in two different places.

Amen brothers
    Don't buy nuthing you can't take home

Joel 3:10

Boolit Buddy

it was here last year. there are a few names on it of local boys. very moving..

we should be doing this for the Iraq and Afghanistan veterans not protesting at the burials..
    What I hand-load; .380acp; 9mm/9mmR; 38/357mag; 45acp;
    223rem(5.56mm); 22-250rem; 243win; 6.5 Grendel; 270 win; 30-30win; 308win; 45-70gov.

on the list to start Loading; 30-06 springfield; 222 rem; 6.5x55 swedish

"You might be a gun nut if you load 45-70 on a progressive press" -HICKOK45<- was he talking about me!?!

---
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    _________________ ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Buddy
    My Dad took me to see it when I was 12 or 13. Its the only time I saw him cry. Vietnam Killed him, although he died in 95

Boolit Grand Master

I doubt Viet Nam was what killed your dad. If he was like most of us, especially those who actually saw the combat, what we were thought of when we came home and what we were made to think of ourselves was what killed him.........the BS from and of the protesters while not pleasant wasn't as bad as the "Silent Majority" being so silent......especially the scorn from the WWII vets and even many Korean War vets was.......well that's history now...........except for many of us........

May your father rest in peace now. He has my utmost respect.

Larry Gibson

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    I doubt Viet Nam was what killed your dad. If he was like most of us, especially those who actually saw the combat, what we were thought of when we came home and what we were made to think of ourselves was what killed him.........the BS from and of the protesters while not pleasant wasn't as bad as the "Silent Majority" being so silent......especially the scorn from the WWII vets and even many Korean War vets was.......well that's history now...........except for many of us........

May your father rest in peace now. He has my utmost respect.

Larry Gibson
    Larry ,
    well said .

It seems that our more recent vets share more of the .......... clinicaly, pschological issues (deep scars) of Viet Nam than those that came before. I've spent a good deal of time w/men of WWII and Korea more recently Viet Nam and forward. Even Korea was ''a gentlemans war'' IE; there was a defined enemy and by and large a defined goal. By Viet Nam there was no defined ,uniformed enemy ,the enemy that intended to kill our men was as likely to be a small child as an old woman as a uniformed soldier. In todays war there are no uniformed comabtants. Too much like Viet Nam every stone, branch,line and face is as likely a trap as the perimiter claymores. Of course I'm just looking in the fish bowl from a safe distance.

Apoligies for the Hijack from a Dad who watches helplessly a son bleed from the unseen wounds.
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

We visited the main one during my 8th grade class trip to DC. I found someone in the book with the same name as me. I still have that rubbing somewhere in the scrapbook assignment from the trip.

Although, the Korea one got to me more, but my granddad was a coreman there, and one of the people in the monument is a coreman. Not to take anything away from the Viet Nam people.

Boolit Master

Yes Larry everything you said was correct.
    what you left out was the garbage being freely thrown at our returning troops, being spit on by fellow Americans, and just standing there letting it happen because you were ordered to not respond. Must not forget being called baby killers also
    Yep a fun time to have been in uniform
    You did forget the VA and how some get treated even to this day for having been in service during Vietnam conflict
    Beware of a government that fears its citizens having the means to protect themselves.
    NRA Patron member
    Veteran