Inline FabricationLoad DataSnyders JerkyWideners
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pc bullets round nose. 9mm vs tc

Boolit Buddy

Pc bullets round nose. 9mm vs tc

Just started doing pc on my bullets and love it. My only issue with it is i use a round nose 9mm 124gr lee 6 cav mold and if i have to do an unload and show clear in a match the slide is extremely difficult to pull back. This is with my glock 19. If i use my glock 23 with lonewolf 9mm conversion barrel it's not a problem. Thinking of switching to a tc bullet but not sure how they feed in a glock. Anybody else tried the 124gr tc lee bullets in a glock. And yes i know glock says no lead bullets.

Boolit Buddy
    it sounds like you just have them seated to long
    take the barrel out and try the plunk test and make sure your OAL isnt wonkey

Quote Originally Posted by guncheese View Post
    it sounds like you just have them seated to long
    take the barrel out and try the plunk test and make sure your OAL isnt wonkey
    Yep. Plunking rocks. Wonkey doesn't.
    "The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." --H. L. Menchen

Boolit Buddy
    Oal is 1.10 and the manual calls for 1.125. Have gone as low as 1.08 with same results.

Boolit Buddy
    odd, i seat mine to 1.095" and don't have issues with them in my glock 17, although i haven't tried loading them and then removing them.

It is pretty simple to plunk test- drop a round into the chamber and listen for the 'plunk' when the case mouth bottoms out. If the boolit contacts the rifling it'll thud, not plunk. Seat boolits so they just clear the rifling for improved accuracy.

OAL tailored to your chamber is a good thing.
    "The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." --H. L. Menchen

Do you use a Lee full-length sizer after seating the boolit? That's what fixed my tight-in-the-chamber problems.

Boolit Buddy
    Mine seat and crimp in same step.

Boolit Buddy
    I know what you mean on the plunking. I do it with each round of ammo before a big match.

Boolit Buddy
    A buddy of mine is also using some of my bullets and they are sticking in his glock 17. He loads on a dillon. I use lee dies and he uses dillon. Bullets are sized to 358.

Boolit Master
    I have exactly the same problem in my glock 19 (S&W 5904 and CZ85 did same thing) with the same bullet. When the bullet is PCd you also add material to the ogive of the bullet. In my opinion this is what is giving this issue. Play with seating until it works. It may end up being alot deeper than you expected. Watch for pressure while doing this, in the 9mm pressure goes up quick with short seating. BTW my old taurus and star pistols ate up the longer seated ones w/o any issue.

Ebner

Boolit Buddy
    Yep believe your right. Thats the reason i was thinking of moving to the tc bullet. More pointed and less ogive area.

Boolit Master
    You may have said, but are you resizing after PC'ing?
    It almost sounds to me like your a bit oversize and the chamber is a bit small? I got a Dillon chamber gauge for 9mm (headspace as some call it)
    If it wont drop all the way in and fall out when I turn it over it does not pass. Since using this method I have no issues.
    Also 9mm is notorious for having issues because of the tapered case. I decap and resize all my brass. Then clean and tumble my brass. In the first station in my Lee Loadmaster I decap and resize again.
    I resize my boolits after casting, then PC, then resize again.
    I hope that helps....
    Last edited by Blanco; 08-03-2014 at 01:36 PM.
    Do, or do not.
    There is no try.
    Yoda

Boolit Buddy
    I pc and then size them.

Boolit Master
    I had a similiar problem with same bullet Powder coated in my Glock 35 with the lone wolf 9mm barrel. Near impossible to open the slide. I sized them to .357 after coating. No problem with this in my CX4 storm.

Now the Lee 120TC works great powder coated and also is more accurate for me.

Still not commented on very much is the probable need to use Lee's full length sizer after boolit seating. It reduces the finished cartridge outer diameter to factory specs. Its main purpose is to make rounds chamber properly. An argument against it is whether or not it reduces boolit diameter smaller than the barrel wants it to be. That's mostly from setting the crimp adjustment too far.

I had the chambering problem with 9 and 357, then got the FL die after learning about it. It does something else good in that it doesn't crimp while the boolit is still being seated as with the seat/crimp die. You adjust that die to not finish crimp, just seat.

Quote Originally Posted by ebner glocken View Post
    I have exactly the same problem in my glock 19 (S&W 5904 and CZ85 did same thing) with the same bullet. When the bullet is PCd you also add material to the ogive of the bullet. In my opinion this is what is giving this issue. Play with seating until it works. It may end up being alot deeper than you expected. Watch for pressure while doing this, in the 9mm pressure goes up quick with short seating. BTW my old taurus and star pistols ate up the longer seated ones w/o any issue.

Ebner
    +1

I found using a TC rather than a round nose was needed because I cast oversized boolits (.358" for 9mm's). Now, I cast smaller (.357" for 9mm's), but add PC, which brings it back to a larger size. Either change your boolit shape to something like the TC or seat your round nose deeper.

Quote Originally Posted by el34 View Post
    Still not commented on very much is the probable need to use Lee's full length sizer after boolit seating. It reduces the finished cartridge outer diameter to factory specs. Its main purpose is to make rounds chamber properly. An argument against it is whether or not it reduces boolit diameter smaller than the barrel wants it to be. That's mostly from setting the crimp adjustment too far.

I had the chambering problem with 9 and 357, then got the FL die after learning about it. It does something else good in that it doesn't crimp while the boolit is still being seated as with the seat/crimp die. You adjust that die to not finish crimp, just seat.
    The FCD probably wouldn't help in this situation. The problem is the ogive, which isn't touched by the FCD. The PC is essentially moving the boolit shoulder forward, causing it to contact the rifling.

Your RN bullets should be able to clear the throat if you are seating them deep enough so that the shoulder is below the rim of the case mouth. If it is exposed, it could be getting swaged into the throat and sticking which causes the slide to "lock".
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shoulder_zpse64daade.png 
Views:	311 
Size:	7.6 KB 
ID:	112906

The TC design has an even longer shoulder which will hang unless you ensure that you size the boolit to completely clear the throat before seating:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	356-120-TC_zpsf752815a.png 
Views:	309 
Size:	7.9 KB 
ID:	112907

If you don't have any feed problems with the RN, I'd stick with it and experiment with seating depth before buying a new mold. Try seating at different depth's with some empty cases and see if you can get reliable "unloadings" without the slide sticking.

Also be careful when full length resizing PC boolits with the Lee FCD. I've noticed when I pulled my 0.359" unsized bullets after FCD-ing that they were indeed swaged down to 0.356" which was not a problem for shooting, but I also noticed that I could pull some bullets out with my fingers! The combination of swaged down bullets plus reduced friction from the PC made it easy to pull out the bullets. No chance of setback because the case was smaller than the bullet, but there is a chance of bullets being pulled forward while sitting in the magazine during the recoil of the gun.

So now I do size my PC bullets before loading and I don't use the FCD any more except to "kiss" the top of the case rim to close the flare.
    Last edited by rsrocket1; 08-08-2014 at 09:26 AM.

Boolit Master

I believe you should be sizing your 9MM boolits to .355 or to .356. .356 is the traditional diameter for 9MM cast boolits and .355 is the traditional diameter for jacketed 9MM bullets. .354 sizing dies are pretty common and could be used prior to powder coating to have your boolits finish size in the .355 to .356 range.
    I have experienced inaccuracy issues from truncated cone (TC) boolits and I refuse to waste my time with them.