Lee PrecisionLoad DataInline FabricationWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRepackboxTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 32 winchester special

Cool 32 winchester special

just wondering if any one is making them or not winchester was the only one that i no of . if they made new ones i would buy one in a heart beat i just love that model ... what do you guys think of them ????? has anyone got this one new or old ????? thanks .hound13

Boolit Grand Master

I've got one made in 1979. Typical gun for the era, maybe a bit better. It likes the Ranch Dog 323-170 boolit. Several members here are 32 Special fans. I think Marlin and Savage chambered rifles for that cartridge but can't recall actually seeing one. Very CB-friendly cartridge but as far as I know it hasn't been a factory chambering for years. As far as brass I prefer proper headstamp but it's a seasonal run, not much out there now. Can be made from 30-30 brass but it always comes out short for me. I missed a nice 1930's 94 a few weeks ago. Keep your eyes open, one will come your way if you're patient.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Quote Originally Posted by TXGunNut View Post
    I've got one made in 1979. Typical gun for the era, maybe a bit better. It likes the Ranch Dog 323-170 boolit. Several members here are 32 Special fans. I think Marlin and Savage chambered rifles for that cartridge but can't recall actually seeing one. Very CB-friendly cartridge but as far as I know it hasn't been a factory chambering for years. As far as brass I prefer proper headstamp but it's a seasonal run, not much out there now. Can be made from 30-30 brass but it always comes out short for me. I missed a nice 1930's 94 a few weeks ago. Keep your eyes open, one will come your way if you're patient.
    ya im hoping it will happen thanks hound13

Boolit Master
    Savage made a .32-40, no .32 Special that I know of. Winchester and Marlin made quite a few, Winchester 1894 and 94, Marlin in the 36 and 336, maybe the 1893. Remington made a .32 Remington, which is essentially rimless .32 Special in their Model 14 pump gun. Maybe a few single shots were chambered for it. No factory bolt guns that I know of. If I had to make .32 Special cases, I would try .38-55, .375 Win and .32-40, in that order if available. 30-30 is the easiest to find and least expensive. Uniform length is more important than actual length, though the Lee crimp Die might require a certain length. Hornady has recently made .32 Special brass and cartridges. Factory ammo is available (in theory? ?). Marlins and Winchesters in .32 Special show up regularly on GunBroker.

Boolit Master

Here's a concurrent thread on the 32 Special.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ecial-any-good

It ought to wet your appetite for the old gal.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

The 32 Special has quite a following and one can really get a debate going over the advantages of a 30-30, 32 special or a 35 Remington. One writer one time stated that a a chimpmunk could not blow its nose over the power differences. Basically the 32 special can be laoded more easily to the advertised power in a 20" barreled carbine. Another way to look at it is that a 170 grain bullet out of a 32 special is driven about the same speed as a 30-30 150 grain. 30-30 ballistics are published out of 26" barrels. As one who uses the vastly superior 35 Remington I don't get into these small arguements Really, for some reason different calibers seem to work for us and we need to at least scratch the itch to satisfy our curiosity. Ammo costs more but is available in my area readily. I bought a few boxes of factory ammo and shot it up for the 35 which is at a similar price. Now can reload it.

DP

I found a marlin lever action a while back in lgs for 250.00 otd looked real good in 35 remington. found it needed a little TLC in working the lever. about $20.00 bucks of small parts from brownells looks and works like a new rifle. found some brass need to cast. load. & shoot. a re-barrel on a ruger # 3 in 32 special sounds interesting also. or maybe a 21" barrel for a G2. life is good. gd
    "The good sense of the people will always be found to be the best army.They may be led astray for a moment,but will soon correct themselves" - Thomas Jefferson

I wasn't Born in the south but I got there as soon as I could.
    I like this site. MOSTLY good people. good ideas.

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't!!
    "Either this man is dead or my watch has stopped." — Groucho Marx

"We are born naked, wet, and hungry. Then things get worse"

Boolit Grand Master

I stand corrected, Savage at one time manufactured 32 Special cartridges but did not chamber a rifle for it, as far as I can tell. The advantange of the 32 Special over the 30-30 is the slower twist commonly found in the 32 Spl, folks who cast boolits think that's a bit more than a chipmunk's hanky.
    I own rifles chambered for both cartridges but quite honestly with such a small sample size I see no difference. I like the 32, and the difference may be there, regardless of what a certain gunwriter says.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Buddy
    Hey Tex, good to see ya. Hound, I bought my 1949 '94 .32 Spec. just to use it as a CB shooter. Tried Ranch Dog, Lyman's Lovern design and Lee's 175 8mm with some luck, but was always running into the rifling. Finally purchased Accurate's 324 gc 165. Had a guy in Gooding cut the barrel to 16". Unlike Tex, I've found using 30/30 brass works great and I still find 30/30 brass on the ground from the nonreloading crowd. I do have to trim after each go round. Here's a 50 yd group I shot this summer...pretty good for a blind guy.

Boolit Master
    I think the 32 special is superior to the 30-30 in many ways!

Boolit Grand Master

Figured you'd drop by and help out on this thread, Sal. Good to see you too, even better to see that old rifle.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by izzyjoe View Post
    I think the 32 special is superior to the 30-30 in many ways!
    Ssssshhhhh! Can't say that around here, the thutty-thutty's will get their feelings hurt and the 32 already knows she's Special.

no doubt they are accurate they will go a long way >>>> hound13

Boolit Master
    I got one or two here. All Winny's. Just range rifles they are. As far as which caliber I prefer. Depends on what day of the week it is. {kidding}
    I kind'a like my 30-30 better than the 32. It's a little more accurate for me than the 32 is when using open barrel sights only. Shoot quite a bit of cast thru both. As they are collector grade rifles. Unlike my 270. Little winny's are fun to shoot at my cub range. Reduced loads for targeting I primarily shoot. (cheap) entertainment. If you ever get the chance to purchase a decent pre-64 94 in 30-30 or 32. Buy it. Their worthy of a space in anyone's safe or closet.

Boolit Buddy
    Yep, She's a beaut Tex. Finally settled on 5744 with the Accurate bullet, getting slightly less than 1700fps with the 16" barrel, according to my handy dandy chronograph. Wish I had better eye sight.

Boolit Buddy
    I have four .32 Winchester Specials.

A 1968 Win 94, a 1949 Win 94, a 1957 Marlin 336SC, and a 1951 Marlin 336SC. All are fine cast bullet shooters.

First target is five shots from my 1957 Marlin 336SC using the Ranch Dog 323-175 FNGC with Alliant 2400 powder @ 1744 fps. Second target is with the 1957 Marlin 336SC also using the old RCBS 08-170 FNGC with LVR powder @ 2300 fps. Both bullets weigh in at 182 grains lubed and gas checked.

Gotta love those .32 Specials and lead bullets.

358 Win

Boolit Master
    I have a 24", M64 Winchester in 32 Special which I just love. I've been using the NEI mould with good results and just received an NOE copy of the Ranch Dog (same dimensions, but with standard lube grooves) which looks good. Just need time to try it out.
    I have fire formed full length 32-40 brass with no problem and no trimming. It comes out a bit longer than 32 Special brass, but most chambers handle the extra length just fine.
    I also re-barreled a Ruger #3 to 32 Special and it shoots 5/8 to 3/4" groups at 100yds all day long using the Saeco 091, 8mm bullet! GREAT CARTRIDGE.
    Last edited by Irascible; 07-30-2014 at 11:08 AM.
    "There's a Fine Line Between Hobby and Mental Illness"!

Boolit Buddy
    Went to the range today with my pre64 Win94 and tried out some rcbs 32-170-FN w/14.0gr A2400 @ 2.520".
    It's a shooter @ 100 Yds (longest distance at my range) with my 2X Scout scope. Chrono-ed these at a rough
    average of 1550 FPS in a re-formed 30-30 case. Sizing to .324" in a .322" barrel. Might crank it up a notch
    in the future but it shoots this so nice I hate to change.

Boolit Grand Master

There's a link on the "375 Brass" thread to a company that has some hard to find brass, including 32 Special.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by TXGunNut View Post
    There's a link on the "375 Brass" thread to a company that has some hard to find brass, including 32 Special.
    36.34/50 = .7268/case. In a crunch, yes, but with some effort, getting once fired is a much more frugal path.