RepackboxSnyders JerkyWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Load Data

Thread: 1899 Smith & Wesson 38 spl

1899 Smith & Wesson 38 spl

Some time back I rescued a couple of old Smith wheel guns from a buddy's parts bin. Both were in about as sorry shape as an old Smith can get, out of time lots of endshake and pitted bores. You know the kind of junk a gunsmith keeps around just for parts.
    Decided to work on the first one a few months ago. It's a model 1899 m&p 38 hand ejector... or was. I started by pulling the barrel only to find the threads are not what you would expect to find on a "K" frame .500 X 36 tpi. So turn out a barrel from a blank time. I also discovered the lock work is unique to this model. I made a new hand, cylinder stop, sear and all springs. Would up with a nice clean 2.25 lb Sa trigger and 3.5lb da pull. Well lock work done new barrel fitted cylinder bushed and gap set at .0015.
    I installed an old set of target grips and some sights off a muzzle loader barrel I had laying on the shelf and set off to find a load that it likes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20140711_125645.jpg  

Loaded up some RP once fired brass with a Lee 125 fp tumble lubed with 45-45-10 over 4.0 grns of Old Green Dot with a Rem spp. The results were good. I have tried several other combos with decent results but this shows the most promising.
    Fired off hand at 15 yards... As far as I can go out in my backyard and have a good back stop.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20140729_194038.jpg  

I think I have a new favorite sixshooter. The business card was what I had handy.
    Should work nice at our clubs monthly poker shoot I think.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Wow, lookin' good!! Love those old .38's.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Very nice and beautiful job on her! Nothing like an old Smith! Nice to see someone cared enough to save it from the parts bin and give her new life. Enjoy!