Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionLoad DataReloading EverythingRepackbox
Wideners RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: here's a stoopid question about flake powder.

Boolit Master

here's a stoopid question about flake powder.

700x.... blue dot ....red dot ....and many others

all meter like trying to run corn flakes thru the powder measure.

does size of the flakes determine burn rate?

if you could invent a grinding machine...say like a coffee grinder or a blender that could reduce the particulate
    size of the flakes.....run it thru a sifter.

a. would it meter better?
    b. would anything change burn rate wise?
    c. am i nuts
    d. just change to a better metering powder and ferget this non-sense!

Banned

All powder burn rate is adjusted by flake size, thickness, etc. Or coatings. Stick powders the same and some have a hole through the center. Many powders are the exact same formula and only size and shape determine rate.
    Cutting a few flakes does no harm.
    Buy a Redding BR measure, comes with a small charge fitting and you will not even feel flake powder go through.
    Leave your powder alone.

Boolit Master

No, you're not nuts. Yes, it would change EVERYTHING. The only one I really won't meter is Unique. Red Dot for whatever reason, isn't quite as bad. I know, they're very similar in size and shape, etc. I have used a lot of SR (IMR) 7625 in place of Unique. Meters great and has a very similar burn rate. So, of course, they're threatening to stop making 7625. I used the little scoops last week for Unique. It wasn't so bad.
    When I say grinding it up would change everything - I don't really know that for a fact. Maybe with flake powder it wouldn't change all that much. Certainly would with stick powders. I'm not gonna be grinding mine up anyway. Just my .02. Mike
    Politicians are a lot like diapers. They should be changed frequently, and for the same reason. Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Man
    Mozeppa,
    My thoughts are,
    A. yes it would meter better due to finer particle size
    B. Yes the burn rate would change, imaging the difference between throwing a whole tree vs that same tree turned into saw dust into a campfire. Both of the fuels were from the exact same source but will burn in very different fashions.
    C. As I am not a psychologist I am not qualified to answer this question but I do believe every member here is a little nuts, for cast boolits.
    D. I see three options, as you stated change to different powder, hand measure each charge, or keep this powder and live with the slight variances in the load weight.

Landers

Boolit Master

Granule or flake size is definitely a factor in burn rate. Think of black powder, it is sold in several granulations from cannon, Fg, FFg, FFFg for different uses in different size applications. It is made of the same materials in all cases.

Boolit Grand Master

Yeah, yer nuts! You're a reloader ain't ya? (JK). Good answers above about powder characteristics and burn speed. Charge variations are something all us reloaders that use a powder measures just live with. My C-H is very accurate/repeatable with most powders, and surprisingly, my Lee PPM will hold less than .1 grain variations with powders it likes (W231 is remarkable).

If the variations yer getting with the powder your using gets to you, makes reloading a chore, then the option to choose a different powder with better metering qualities is open. Personally, I believe there are "tricks" or methods that will lessen the variations and that'll work with many powders, but I've just come to live with it. I now choose powder by how it works in my guns, not my powder measure...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Buddy
    I have a lot of Lee products, I have a lot of RCBS products, I also have a lot of Lyman products, but when it comes to powder measures I have three and they all say Redding on them. Spend the extra and you will never regret purchasing the Redding powder measure.

Boolit Master
    Red Dot is a thorn in my side. I love how it performs in my .45acp and .44spl, but it doesn't meter worth a dern! I use it 80% of the time, and I've learned that patience and powder tricklers are divine.

I use RedDot for my 9, 357sig and 45acp, because I found 8lb of it.. Years ago I made a baffle and put in my RCBS measurer and I have never looked back.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bill in Ky View Post
    I use RedDot for my 9, 357sig and 45acp, because I found 8lb of it.. Years ago I made a baffle and put in my RCBS measurer and I have never looked back.
    I use Red Dot in nearly all my reloads. 38spl, 45acp, reduced loads in many rifle calibers. I load on a Dillon 550B and red dot measures just fine. I check weigh every tenth round and the loads are ALWAYS right on the money.
    Marty-hiding out in the hills.

Boolit Master
    For those of you complaining about the Dot powders and Unique I only have one thing to say:

800-X
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Boolit Master

Unique!

One of my favorite powders.

It doesn't meter as accurately as a ball powder but I have never had any real problem with it.

See test 1 at this page;

http://reloadingtips.com/reviews/hor...er-measure.htm

Note that in testing .38 special factory wad cutters with a charge weight of less than three grains, I have found a variation of four tenths grain.
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Elkins45 View Post
    For those of you complaining about the Dot powders and Unique I only have one thing to say:

800-X

that don't meter like corn flakes!........................................... more like tater chips!

Banned

800-x is nothing compared to steel.
    with 800-x you just get variations, with steel you get load development you didn't want.

speaking of 800-x, it's make-up is the same as 700-x, the difference is in flake size and burn de-terrent coating

With regard to the OP's original question about the state of his mental health
    1. You work with lead, known to cause both mental illness and birth defects
    2. For whatever reason, you've decided it is a good thing to work with gunpowder and primers
    3. You post on this forum
    4. Shooting ammunition YOU made is preferable to that which comes in a box
    5. You engage in politically incorrect activities
    Must be one of the sanest men around!
    All government without the consent of the governed is the very definition of slavery - Jonathan Swift
    You have enemies? Good, it means you've done something with your life - Winston Churchill

Boolit Master

I was cussing 800-x in my Dillon. I tried changing to the large charge bar for just something to try. What do you know, it metered well! Don't know if you are using a Dillon but thought I would relate my experience.

Jay

Boolit Master

I'm not sure a blender would be something that you would want to use. Perhaps a "ball mill" instead.

I've wondered whether the M6 artillery propellant could be used for firearms if it was ground down to a smaller size. Back during the worst of the powder shortage, there was a company up in northern Louisiana that had 6M pounds of it that they had removed from artillery shells, but did not have a buyer for yet.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...n_2229479.html

Moderator Emeritus

Lyman DPS1200 is your friend. it is even accurate with surplus #7 which resembles hockey pucks with square corners.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by retread View Post
    I was cussing 800-x in my Dillon. I tried changing to the large charge bar for just something to try. What do you know, it metered well! Don't know if you are using a Dillon but thought I would relate my experience.

Jay

this is exactly what i did ....and it does meter somewhat better.

Boolit Grand Master

As a Licensed Clinical Psychologist I can tell you that you are NOT nuts for thinking about it. Doing it - yeah, you are NUTS!
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!