RepackboxRotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingLee Precision
Load Data Inline Fabrication

Thread: >30-40 Krag brass from .303 British brass

>30-40 Krag brass from .303 British brass

Other than being about .125 inches short, the reformed .303 cases shoot well out of my 1896 Krag Carbine. Is their anyone out there that have done this beside me?
    Listen! Do you hear it. The roar of cannons, the screams of the dying! Ahh! Music to my ears!

Me, when I couldn't find any Krag brass at one time. I only did a few and the rest of the 100 .303 cases are sitting around, an excuse to get a .303 if one comes up at the right price, or to use as a basis for the 6mm/30-40AI Krag I plan on building. The reamer will be held short, the length of the chamber will be the same as the .303 so I guess it'll be 6mm/.303AI on a Krag action. Round tuit.
    "If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson

Read about it, never have done it. My conclusion was that it is a mixed bag of success. Some reported it works well enough, some reported a big thumbs down.
    What concerned me was the throat of a Krag typically is quite long, and having a shortened case would exaggerate it.

Check out ET Brass for 30-40 Krag brass. I have been having good luck with that outfit.
    http://www.etbrass.com/Rifle_Brass.html

Boolit Master
    I have 50 pcs of .303 formed into .30-40 Improved. Short neck, but it doesn't seem to matter unless I use a short bullet. I could see where a long throat would be aggravated by the short neck with my testing of shorter bullets if you don't leave OAL the same.

Boolit Master

I have as well. Never really noticed a difference either. If you look at the cartridge conversion books on the market, the .303 British is the cartridge suggested for conversion to 30-40 Krag.
    Proud member in the basket of deplorables.

I've got the itch, but don't got the scratch.

Boolit Master

At the time I acquired my Krag sporter - right after the '08 elections - brass was impossible to find and factory ammo at the LGS was going for something like $44 a box but I had a good supply of .303 Brit stuff. Reformed a few Privi .303s to .30-40 with good results so formed up some more to get enough to make a trip to the range worthwhile. Short necks didn't cause any issue but I was shooting the Lee 309-200, sized to .310-.311 and seated with the GC even right at the top of the shoulder to obtain pretty close to factory OAL. Worked fine for me and, once I got my hands on some 'real' 30-40 brass, I (re)formed those cases back to .303 Brit...and I'm certain I'm still shooting some of them.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"