RotoMetals2WidenersReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Repackbox Snyders Jerky
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: dillon powder measure

Boolit Buddy
    Hoping all is well and you are healed up by now.
    I regained a lot of respect for the processes we may take for granted having seen your accident. I and I am sure many others would like to know just what set it off, so this type of accident does not have the chance of duplicating itself.
    Thanks for the post.
    Silver Hand

I imagine the primer in the powder measure idea is likely the correct answer in the end, however in the OPs original post a few years ago...

While doing this i noticed the slide was stuck about halfway..I tried moving the linkage but wouldnt move..I took the unit out to the garage and put it into the vise ..Gave the slide a few taps with a wooded dowel that i use for making boolet and pow.
    You can find the answer. You shouldn't force things reloading.

Boolit Buddy
    There is another thread covering primers. seems a reloader folded a primer tube, when the tube folded primer were crushed, primers made an exit out the top and bottom and blew out the side of the tube at the bold. My opinion he dropped the tube then made a mad grab for it.

Blame game, static electricity. He received damage to his hand while his hand was at the fold of the tube. I believe that thread went for 6 pages. No one knew what caused the problem, they all decided it could not have been caused by a Ki-rack chop to the primer tube. And no one wanted to line up tubes of primers and fold them with the back of their hands.

There was an old movie about WW11, seems a line in the movie by a British officer on the beach saying something about mechanical things, "If it is mechanical and does not work it deserves a good whack". Then there is "If it does not go don't force it". I have tried to set off primers, for my efforts I managed to set off one, not in a lee auto hand primer system but in an RCBS hand primer.

F. Guffey

What kind of primer tube folds or did he bend an aluminum tube in a mishap?

I remember crushing a few primers completely flat in a bench vise back when I first heard about setting them off reloading. Nothing happened; however, I do know that it can be done.

I was over at a friends house working on something and he went to load on a different machine and was having problems. I could tell he was getting frustrated and was going to suggest he stop and find the problem, then fix it. Less than a minute later he lit off an entire tube of primers.

There was an old movie about WW11, seems a line in the movie by a British officer on the beach saying something about mechanical things, "If it is mechanical and does not work it deserves a good whack".
    Don't know about WW11, but "The Longest Day" (D-Day, WWII) had such a line.

Quote Originally Posted by fguffey View Post
    I had used my primer pick up tube to grab about fifty primers and had it in my left hand, placed it at the top of the 550 primer magazine, and with my right hand started to pull the pin. Kaboom!
    That doesn't sound like anything out of the ordinary, except for the kaboom part. Too bad he took his photos down.

Boolit Buddy
    [QUOTE][ I couldn't believe that after being mashed almost flat that it hadn't popped before then./QUOTE]

A shooter purchased a new Ruger rifle and 2 boxes of R-P ammo. Out of the first box he had 5 fail to fire, volunteers with 30/06 rifles offered to help by attempting 3 addition attempts at busting the primers, nothing but click. that afternoon a shooter at the range brought the 20 cases to me, the 15 that fired and the 5 that didn't. I was impressed with the 15 that fired, according to my chamber gages the 15 cases would chamber in any 30/06 I have.

We pulled down the the cases that failed to fire to check the components, again I was impressed with the weight of the bullets, powder and case, we removed the primers then installed them back into the case they were removed from. I chambered the cases without powder or bullet in one of my M1917s, all five primers busted off. The primers had been struck at least 7 times each but only once with a killer firing pin.

F. Guffey

Boolit Buddy
    I had used my primer pick up tube to grab about fifty primers and had it in my left hand, placed it at the top of the 550 primer magazine, and with my right hand started to pull the pin. Kaboom! That doesn't sound like anything out of the ordinary, except for the kaboom part. Too bad he took his photos down.
    50 primers, primers blew out the side of the tube. and primers exited out the top, side and bottom. If we are reading the same story static electricity was blamed. I did not believe that story, I am not the fan of jerking the steering wheel when something runs out in fount of me, jerking the wheel can get the driver hurt. If I should drop a tube of primers, same thing, duck, cover, the last thing I want to do is grab for the tube. There is a chance I could fold that little tube up and crush a few primers. That could cause the primers to exit the side, top and bottom if there were enough primers above the crush.

F. Guffey

It didn't seem like he dropped it from what I read. I don't see how static electricity would do it because you are already holding the thing with two hands before you start pulling the pin. One hand on the tube the other on the pin.

Besides I have never been charged with static elec and shocked myself or anything metallic I was already holding.