Inline FabricationLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyWideners
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything Load Data
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Craziest thing you have witnessed on the range.

Not crazy, just funny.

I'm at the range one day and this guy pulls up in a brand new Mercedes. He unloads a bunch of stuff onto a couple of benches. Out of one case he pulls a very high end spotting scope tripod. Out of another a Swarovski spotting scope. Out of yet another a complex bench rest rifle setup. Then a few boxes of match grade .308. By this time he has the attention of everone else at the range, wondering what's going to appear next. Finally, he puts his rifle case on the bench, theatrically flips open the latches, pauses for dramatic effect, and opens the lid. Revealing an empty case.

In the disappointed silence that followed, he packed everything up and left without a word. I still wonder what extremely expensive rifle I missed seeing that day.

David
    Cats are fun and magical when you can't smell their poop! Fresh Step!

JPFO; NCOWS; NRA (Life); NYSRPA (Life); SAF, SASS

I'm looking for a shooter grade Smith & Wesson Victory model in .38 Special.

Boolit Master
    Gun shops, that reminds me of another one, 'bout a year ago, my nephew took me to a gunshop in the big city (St.L.) while there , a guy walks out with his brand new purchase.........no big deal right? Well about 3 minuets later, he comes back in, claiming the "gun won't work." The counter guy takes the gun, and promptly shoots a hole in the floor!! Decided to leave after my hearing came back.
    of course I did mention the guy, that all guns are loaded......".well he just bought it!" I stated, "it left your sight, what did you think was going to happen?"
    The rules of the range are simple at best, Should you venture in that habitat, Don't cuss a man's dog, be good to the cook, And don't mess with a cowboy's hat. ~ Baxter Black

Boolit Master
    We don't have ROs at our public ranges. At least I have not been to one that does. One of the crazyest things I've seen is the guy standing 25 yards to the right of his buddies target so he could check it after each shot to see where the bullet hole was. I'm pretty sure he had a beer in his hand too.

We just waited until they left before we got started.

Another time a guy showed up with a bunch of people, 4 or 5, some of them women. After a "range cold" time out we did a range check and went back hot. This guy loaded a handgun and set it on the bench very near the end of the "cold time out" but aparently was not aware we went hot and verbely attacked me and my son when we fired. He informs me he was not aware the range was hot. I told him he had a loaded handgun on the line so the range must have been hot. He didn't know what to say, then accused us of having our rifle loaded during the cease fire which of course was not true.

Motor

Boolit Grand Master

Junker car, but still able to run, towed onto range and started up. 50 Beowulf rounds fired at it until it ceased to run. Well actually a lot more shots were fired after it ceased to run. I shot out one of the windows but was at the pistol range when they disabled the engine. I just didn't want to be near that one. Car was towed away at the end of the day and range cleaned up if you hadn't been there you would never know it had happened.

Oh the horror of that story. I can only imagine what range officers would make of it. People standing beyond an imaginary line and firing at a running vehicle.

Boolit Master
    Sounds like training for LAPD

Boolit Buddy
    Range I used to belong to in Ohio has machine gun shoots. here's one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzMe1t8fNvA

Pretty crazy stuff.

WP
    NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor in Pistol, Advanced Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, PP In/Outside the Home, Metallic and Shotshell Reloading, Chief RSO

Banned
    Ok, this is really embarrassing being a Marine but in Vietnam, we had just got M16s & were going to FAM fire them when Major Ebbitt(will always remember him) was going to go. He was handed the rifle & was fumbling around & couldn't get it to fire when he turned around to ask the armorer what to do & as he turned the rifle went off on full auto & he lost control & it emptied the mag over the top of us standing behind him. Luckily he had it at a hi 45 degree so it went over our heads. There was a lot of brown stained utilities around him.

Really a nice guy but dumber than a sled track.

Quote Originally Posted by willie_pete View Post
    Range I used to belong to in Ohio has machine gun shoots. here's one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzMe1t8fNvA

Pretty crazy stuff.

WP
    That is normal for a machine gun shoot. Crazy? Not at all.
    If we are going to spend all that money on machine guns, and all that money on ammo, we are going to get the most from it. Tannerite is our friend!
    But safety always rules everything.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by FISH4BUGS View Post
    That is normal for a machine gun shoot. Crazy? Not at all.
    If we are going to spend all that money on machine guns, and all that money on ammo, we are going to get the most from it. Tannerite is our friend!
    But safety always rules everything.

Bowling ball cannon = crazy. BTW that wasn't Tannerite.

WP
    NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor in Pistol, Advanced Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, PP In/Outside the Home, Metallic and Shotshell Reloading, Chief RSO

Boolit Master

Craziest thing you have witnessed on the range.

One time at the range I had the place to myself and was practicing with my CC piece. With my ear plugs in I hear some "heavy bass" music blaring and turn around to see a low rider Cadillac pulling up to the handgun range with me. I think to myself this must be another group of wannabe gang bangers. To my surprise a mid 40s early 50s woman gets out and starts gearing up with a full size 1911. She sets up a target with the 1911 locked and cocked in the small of her back. (Or range allows practicing with concealed carry guns so this wasn't a rule violation.) She walks away and about 7-10 yards from the target, stops wheels around, draws and empties her gun. She then launches off on a self abusive rant, yelling and screaming advice and pointing out how she always pulls to the right. I watched her empty 2 or 3 more mags in a similar manner. Each time while reloading she was yelling criticisms at herself. Her handling and marksman ship with the 1911 seemed reasonably good, but her vehicle and verbal ranting seemed very odd to me.
    Last edited by 2ndAmendmentNut; 07-14-2014 at 11:46 AM.
    "I don't want men who miss." -Capt. Leander H. McNelly

This won't win any awards or honorable mentions but here goes. Many years ago a petite elderly lady stepped up to the line with a 50 caliber Desert Eagle. She carefully gripped it with both hands, turned her head to the side, closed both eyes, made a grimace like she was expecting a gut punch and fired one shot. Then she put it away and left.

Quote Originally Posted by willie_pete View Post
    Bowling ball cannon = crazy. BTW that wasn't Tannerite.

WP
    ....only because we can't get HE rounds for cannons!
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dsbock View Post
    Not crazy, just funny.

I'm at the range one day and this guy pulls up in a brand new Mercedes. He unloads a bunch of stuff onto a couple of benches. Out of one case he pulls a very high end spotting scope tripod. Out of another a Swarovski spotting scope. Out of yet another a complex bench rest rifle setup. Then a few boxes of match grade .308. By this time he has the attention of everone else at the range, wondering what's going to appear next. Finally, he puts his rifle case on the bench, theatrically flips open the latches, pauses for dramatic effect, and opens the lid. Revealing an empty case.

In the disappointed silence that followed, he packed everything up and left without a word. I still wonder what extremely expensive rifle I missed seeing that day.

David
    That isn't funny at all.

I've gotten to the range (A 45-minute drive) and discovered that while I brought the intended rifle, my M-1A, the ammo and accessory bag was the one for my M-1 Garand. You can't push the bolt handle hard enough to get that thing to chamber a .30-06 round.

Fortunately I bring several guns when I go to the range, so I did have something else to shoot.

dale in Louisiana

Boolit Master
    Fairbanks has the cushman st public range. Fellow next to me was rocking a Uzi on the pistol range. It stopped, he turned it sideways and started whacking it. I was looking down the little hole. I backed up. Shoulda shot'em. Din't. Asked him the Alaskan "what's goin on"
    "Jammed"
    So I went over to the right side of him, kept on.
    every time I go there is the craziest thing I have ever seen on the range
    What is this RSO thing you speak of?
    Is usually quite responsible, but sometimes, you need pictures

Does this count.. 75 mm field gun. Lots of fun
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screenshot_2014-06-21-16-41-09.jpg  

Or how about my 13 year old with a mini gun... she had the giggles all the way home.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20140621_160347.jpg  

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by autofix4u View Post
    Or how about my 13 year old with a mini gun... she had the giggles all the way home.
    As would I...
    "When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat." - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Grand Master

Her handling and marksman ship with the 1911 seemed reasonably good, but her vehicle and verbal ranting seemed very odd to me.-2ANut

Sounds like one of my old girlfriends. I don't teach them to shoot any more.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Years ago I was at a local range shooting a rolling block in 45-70 loaded with Black Powder. Having a fun time!

Well after about 30 or so minuets a Range officer came over to me and advised me to stop shooting and put the gun away. I was a little confused and asked him why?
    His response: Son your ammo appears to have been loaded to hot, it should not smoke like that and you might get blown up!

Took me a while to explain to him about Black powder, it's supposed to smoke!

Boolit Master

willie pete - There was a Dillon mini-gun at the Fort Harmar machine gun shoot this spring - Awesome!!!
    Chuck