Inline FabricationLoad DataWidenersSnyders Jerky
RepackboxRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Testing two bullets and three loads for the 32-20 (photos)

Boolit Master

Testing two bullets and three loads for the 32-20 (photos)

Went back to the range today to try out two different bullets and three different loads. This is a follow up from my earlier post a few days ago. Quite a few of the cast bullets are not perfect, with some of the lube bands not completely filled out, so for the two cast bullet targets, I've deducted one flyer from each. I am just narrowing down the options. For my final testing, each bullet will be hand picked for perfection. Here is a report (apologies for the blurry photos, handheld the camera in low light tonight and no time to do a decent job):

All shooting was done resting the forearm on a rest and cradling the buttstock with my left fist.

First Test:

I began with a clean bore
    Bullet: Accurate #31-112M (plain base, 115 grain)
    Load: 5.5 grains of Unique
    Range: 100 yards
    Results: This load appears to be very accurate with the standard Lyman 311048 cast bullet, but it does not do so well with this particular bullet. The first three rounds already gave a 3" group. I then went back and fired the remaining 7 rounds. Ignoring the high flyer, 9 shots went into 3 & 3/8" at 100 yards. I am thinking that this particular bullet likes a bit slower start into the bore so the slower powders do better. Here is the target ...

Second Test:

I decided to 'clean' the bore by shooting 5 jacketed bullets. I figured any slight leading which may or may not be there from the previous test would not significantly affect the jacketed bullets. An assumption, I know, but reasonable.
    Bullet: Remington 100 grain JSP
    Load: 11 grains 5744
    Results: I only used five rounds since I'm trying to ration out my limited supply. The five rounds made a classic vertical string that was 3/16" wide by 3 & 5/16" high. Is this due to the harmonics of a slightly undersize (someone said .310) jacketed bullet coupled with a 1,333 fps velocity? Here is a photo of the target ....

Third Test:

Having 'cleaned' the bore by firing 5 jacketed bullet through it (I know, not recommended, but I was in a rush trying to get this done over my lunch hour. I figured the results with an actual clean bore would be better than what I get using this method, but just wanted to see what would happen), I then fired the next 10 rounds of a new load.
    Bullet: Accurate #31-112M (115 grain, plain base)
    Load: 9 grains 5744
    Results: After the first three rounds, I went down to see what things looked like. All three bullets had gone into one irregular shaped hole (the one furthest to the left; it was blown open bigger when I arrived and there was no where else the third bullet could have gone. The remaining 7 bullets shifted to the right slightly.). I wasn't born yesterday; this just goes to show that if one shoots long enough, flukes happen. There is no way I could do this even with a super accurate load with iron sights. I didn't put much weight on it, but I did fire two more rounds to get a five shot group and then went down to take a look. The group had widened to 2", not bad for a five shot group at 100 yards. I then took five more shots. Ignoring the one high flyer, 9 shots went into 2 & 3/8". Not bad for a questionable 'clean' bore. This load should do at least this well with a clean bore. Here is a photo of the target ...

Next step: I would really like something closer to 1,150 fps, so I'll be trying out 8 grains of 5744.

Boolit Grand Master

Very interesting, good shooting!
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master

A comment about "Cleaning the bore"

This would be called fouling shots.

I have found that when using cast bullets, If I change powders, the first one to three shots will always fall out of the group.
    Now, I always fire a three shot group with the new powder before I start shooting for measuring.
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Boolit Master
    If you had some AA1680, you could give that a try with about 14.0 grains. I had real good luck with that load and a 311316 Gas Check boolit.

Boolit Buddy
    I also use 1680 with GC bullets and have gotten outstanding accuracy using slightly more powder. I have also started using my revolver load of a PB 115gr 3118 type bullet sized to .314 and 3.5 grs of 231, an accurate and fun cartridge.

I believe I get such good cast bullet accuracy with this rifle, a modern Marlin 94, is because I clean the snot out my barrel after shooting jacketed bullets and size to .314