Load DataLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Repackbox

Thread: 40 lbs masterpot vs master caster

Boolit Buddy

40 lbs masterpot vs master caster

I've been casting about two years now and lately I've had great luck with using two 6 cav moulds in pairs when casting. This prevents the mould from overheating and is fast! The problem is it drains my 20lbs Lee pot too fast and the warm up time is slow. Since i got my Star I scroll around on Magma's web site and lately I've been thinking about ordering the 40lbs magma pot to take care of my needs for flowing lead.

Then I got thinking about the manuell Master Caster. It's twice the price of the pot, but what would you advice me to do? With 500 to 800 boolits an hour I'm guessing it to be about the same speed or a tad slower than my tandem operation with the 6 cavs in tandem. I guess, what I'm asking, is what your experiences on the matter, can guide me to do.

Thanks!

Boolit Buddy
    thw pot is the same just a different base. I have both bases for my pot and use it as a pot much more lately than the mastercaster. I have have fallen back in love with my 8 and 10 cav molds and the pot really keeps up with my pace which is very very fast.
    that said I'm not crazy about their pot basr and feel it wasn't worth the money I paid...base not the pot. it would be very easy for anyone whop has the master caster to make their own base for it and use it as a bottom pour pot.

Boolit Buddy Nocturnal Stumblebutt's Avatar
    Or for $50 you could get the lee magnum melter to pre-melt lead that could then be ladled into your 4-20

ADMIN

You need to also factor in that with the additional cost of the Master Caster, you will need to purchase additional molds as well.

Something you haven't thought of is what about just buying a second Lee Pro4-20 pot. Have 2 pots going at one time.
    That way your down time isn't that bad and your overall cost isn't that bad either.
    You are talking $70 US (if you were in the US also) for a Lee Pro4-20
    Beats the heck out of the $575 you are talking for a MasterPot.

Just my thoughts...
    Don't like being hammered by the Cast Boolits Staff, then don't be a nail.
    The rules are simple to follow.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Nocturnal Stumblebutt View Post
    Or for $50 you could get the lee magnum melter to pre-melt lead that could then be ladled into your 4-20

This is what I did also

Boolit Buddy
    Actually, another pot is a thought that has crossed my mind, believe it or not . The quality of the Star made me believe that all the Magma equipment was like that, I guess, of superior quality. It is therefore especially useful for me to share your knowledge regarding the master pot. The price is stiff so if another Lee would make me happy, nothing is better.

In my thoughtless head the Master Caster seemed like a bargin regarding to the pot. If the moulds were included, that is, which I learned they are not . So much for that….. Thanks for your advice. Once again it has been very helpful!

Maybe I’ll wait for the Lyman pot……any news on that one? It seems sweet!

Boolit Master

Nice problem to have.
    "If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month."
    Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Master
    if you check out Bruce B's speed casting method, he preheats ingots on top of the pot. This allows him to add them as he casts, never running the pot out of lead. It works for me.

Boolit Master

I have a Magma 40 lb pot, and I say, go for it! You just can't out run it. Buying another LEE pot and ladling will work, I did that for a while. But it still wastes time and throws off your cadence, ESPECIALLY if you run 2 moulds like you do and I have done in the past. Remember, the Magma is not just larger, it also has 1500 watts. PLUS you have the option of running 2 pour spouts at a time, a real time saver with 4-6 cavity moulds. Plus the spouts just remove with 2 allen head screws in case you get some stuff in the spouts. PLUS the spouts can be removed while the pot is full of molten lead as the spigot actually works off a different hole. Pretty cool. I run mostly LEE 6 cavs and I have no problem doing 8-900 an hour, depending on on how large the bullet is due to the amount of cooling time. I have quite a few custom made moulds that would not work on a Master caster also, with the 40 lb pot I can run anything. I also have an RCBS that I use for all my pure lead casting like balls for C&B pistols. I have been tempted to buy another Magma pot but just haven't had the extra cash. You really get spoiled after using the Magma pot. FYI, I can use 2.5 lb ingots preheated on the top of the pot and it never freezes up unlike the LEE and the RCBS. Makes ingot selection easier, you don't have to stick to 1 pounders. I have run my pot pretty hard, do a few thousand bullets every week for the last 8 years. I replaced the thermostat and that has been it. Don't even need that anymore as I now run a PID, another wonderful device that makes life easier.
    Last edited by Springfield; 07-13-2014 at 01:48 PM.

May Liberty Increase!
    Springfield gave me the same advice when I was shopping for a pot. I don't have any experience with anything else, but I've been VERY happy with the Master Pot.
    WANTED: CH AutoChamp Mark IV, V, or Va - PM me if you've got one you'd like to part with.