Titan ReloadingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
RepackboxSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication Wideners
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mould for 35 Whelen

If that Remington has a 1 in 16 twist, it probably won't stabilize boolits over 250gr.
    Sorry for the late response. I just got out of the hospital a couple hours ago..been t here since early yesterday morning. It does have a 1:16 twist for all I've read.

Djones-Thanks for that offer. It sounds like one I can't refuse.

Hodgdon at one time, and not so long ago, also has data for cast boolits but that doesn't seem to be the case anymore.
    NRA Patron Member

Kids Are For People That Can't Have Dogs

I wrote Tom of Accurate Moulds since I had ordered several of his moulds in the past and was well pleased with them, and asked what he had for the Whelen. This was one of his own modified that looks most promising.

http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail.php?bullet=36-210B-D.png

Or this one for hunting...

http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...=36-210A-D.png
    NRA Patron Member

If you get an Accurate mold I would highly suggest getting a couple different bullet types in the same mold. It's only $15 or $20 more for a different bullet type, well worth it.

In 358win I've had great luck with the 36-230D up to 2209fps. The 36-245S (Saeco #352 clone), and also the 36-280B (356009 clone) shoot quite well...still working up loads with them both, but they both show a lot of promise.
    You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong.
    You cannot bring about prosperity by discouraging thrift.
    You cannot lift the wage earner up by pulling the wage payer down.
    You cannot further brotherhood of a man by inciting class hatred.
    You cannot build character and courage by taking away people’s initiative and independence.
    You cannot help people permanently by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves.

Tom will work with you on anything you want, anyway you want it and that's a good suggestion I didn't think about.
    NRA Patron Member

Boolit Grand Master

For some reason I like the 210B myself, probably because the profile looks like it's more likely to feed in my rifle. Not sure if a blunt boolit will feed in your Remington.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

I like the 210B myself and if I get that style it probably will be from Tom.
    NRA Patron Member

If you go with Tom, as stated above the option of different boolits in one mould is neat. Such as a 3 cavity with a couple different gc weights and one pb and have all bases covered in one mould....just a thought.

I've used quite a few moulds for pistols/revolvers but other than BPCR's, I haven't used cast for a rifle such as the 35 Whelen and don't know if the GC would be beneficial or not. I'm not a great fan of them for pistols. I'm not sure at what velocity they would hold their own. I doubt I try for more than 1900-2100 fps. If the alloy is hard enough and you fit the bullet to the bore properly, I see little benefit of a GC.
    NRA Patron Member

Two weeks after I last posted here I ended up in the hospital for five days having a vein bypass. They stripped out a vein in my leg to use as a bypass around a blockage in the main femoral artery. Two weeks later back in the hospital again due to an infection in the incision. I just got back a few days ago. It's not been a good summer.

I did get Tom to make me a mould with the 36-210B on one side and 36-245S on the other. One of those shoot really well, I'd say. I received the mould the day I got out of the hospital the first time but haven't had the capability of casting any as I can't stand on both feet yet...hurts my leg too bad. There will be brighter days ahead.
    NRA Patron Member

Boolit Master

Hoping you get better soon! Keep on casting for rehab!

Thanks, I can't stand long and my casting area and bench require standing. I have managed to swap out the mounts on my 35 Whelen but I did most of it sitting. The rifle's ready to go when I am but that may be a couple weeks yet.
    NRA Patron Member

Boolit Buddy
    Hands down, my favorite mold. Bullets jump out of it. 36-210, 36-250 and 36-280.

That's a beauty. My 36-210B and 36-245S are aluminum. I have a couple of Tom's brass moulds and they're a work of art.
    NRA Patron Member

I couldnt take looking at that fine mould and decided to see how long I could stand casting. Cleaned her up and fired up the Lee Pot and managed to cast close to 200 before my foot and leg gave out. I padi the price later with the foot/lower leg swelling a bit but at least now I know how they look and I need to get out and do a little shooting. It's been too long.

The one on the left is the 36-210B and the right the 36-245S. I've got an order in for the GC's so I'll be ready to go. The way things are looking that could be two weeks yet.

NRA Patron Member

Boolit Master
    Very nice! The one on the right looks like my cherished grain Saeco!!!

Boolit Grand Master

Sorry to hear you had such a rough time of it, hope you get better soon. Casting can be therapeutic, just take it in small doses at first.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

I'm ready for a healing. It's been a month now. I knew once I started casting it was going to take a while but standing was hard. For a short while I forgot about the leg until it started getting tight and achy. Better times are just down the road. It's just too slow going. I got some nice shiny boolits out of it today, nevertheless.
    NRA Patron Member

Boolit Grand Master

I like the looks of that 210B, hope you get a chance to shoot them soon.

Well, darn your just having too much fun with that leg - Both cavities look good - let's see some pictures after you poke some holes.

And feel better
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master

ColColt I really like the looks of your boolits from your new mold. Looks like you have your casting technique down pretty good. I pray your healing will be swift and complete without complications. I have a Ruger M77 in the Whelen and I am also wanting to do some shooting with it. I have a few molds for it so no excuse for not doing it. I am planning to take it on a Spring black bear hunt so I need to get busy with load work up. Good luck on yours.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."