Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyInline FabricationRepackbox
Wideners Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beretta 92 9mm leading

Beretta 92 9mm leading

Need help!

I haven't ever had an issue with leading until now!

I have been developing a load in 9mm for my Beretta 92. I use air cooled sorted clip-on wheel weights for all of my casting using Magma Hard Lube in my Star sizer. I am dropping from a Lee 120gr TC mold boolits that are unsized at .3575".

I first tried .356" sized boolits and I got leading at my intial 4.7 grains of WIN 231 (yes, these were way too hot and I deserved a leaded bore.) The leading was all down the barrel and I had strings hanging from the lands.

I honed out my Star die and they size now to .3565" and dropped the load to 4.1 grains of WIN 231. The chrony is showing around 1029 fps, but my leading has toned down to the throat area and some creeping down the grooves.

(I haven't slugged the bore based on a bad experience I once had doing so...)

I was thinking of dropping the load and increasing the size to .357? Am I on the right path?

(I have shout thousands thru this gun using 4.5 -4.7 grains of WIN 231 using 115 gr FMJ and Hp's with never any issues.)

Boolit Buddy
    Without slugging the bore I would say so. You may possibly even find that .358 works better yet. I shoot that same bullet sized to .358 in all my 9mm's.

Boolit Master
    I am thinking that a softer lube like 50/50 would be better for you.

I may try some 358's. I already have a .358 Star die but my boolits drop .3575" It may not size them anymore, but just lube them. Be worth a shot!
    I was thinking I am undersized with the leading in the throat area where the lands start.

I do have a Lyman 450 (but no proper sizer die, only .355 and .358") filled with Lar's Red Carnauba that i use in my .357 mag/ 223/ and .308 loads. Good stuff but I like Hard Lube for pistol for storage...I may have to get another Star!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by cheese1566 View Post
    I may try some 358's. I already have a .358 Star die but my boolits drop .3575" It may not size them anymore, but just lube them. Be worth a shot!

I was thinking I am undersized with the leading in the throat area where the lands start.
    I'd give it a shot. Mine drop just right at .358 as well and sizing them in a .358 just cleans them up a little here and there and lubes them. Been working great so far in several different 9's.

I have 2 9mm pistols with Beretta 92 barrels in them. One slugs at .3573 the other at .3575. I found I had to size my boolits at .357 minimum to stop leading. When I sized my boolits to .356 I got the leading you describe in both barrels. I now size to .358. I tumble lube my boolits with White Label 45-45-10 and get no leading whatsoever.
    I just this evening finished a 400 round run through one of the pistols using all cast boolits sized and lubed as described. The barrel is still free of lead with only powder residue.
    I also have the Lee 120 tc mold and it drops right at the size yours does. For the most part, I load that boolit unsized and tumble lubed and it shoots great.
    I am currently casting from indoor range scrap.
    Last edited by tazman; 12-30-2014 at 04:16 AM. Reason: correcting a typo

Boolit Master
    Did you do the plunk test to set oal? I have to seat that bullet at 1.033 to avoid hitting the rifling. I also lube with Lyman NRA Alox lube in my 4500. Its soft and I store my boolits sized/lubed, so some of it comes off in storage. I just relube as needed as I go.

Boolit Master

I first started casting for a Taurus 92AF with the same mold. I found that this pistol made in Brazil on Berretta tooling preferred .358 sized bullets to stay clear of lead fouling.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/145...ProductFinding
    I bought this mold. It drops at .360 in my WW-based mixed alloy at around 128gr. With lube it gets close to 130gr. It works in my FEG High-Power as well as my RIA 1911 in 9mm as well as my Taurus 65 in 357Magnum.

I size them at .358 for the 9mm pistols and size them at .359 for my revolver. Its a well-used mold on my shelf.

Bruce
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

I used to have a 358-125-RF in a 6-banger. I should have kept it!

Boolit Master
    Have you pulled a loaded boolit to see if it is sizing down when loaded?

Boolit Grand Master

I'd say guessing will get you the same results you're getting now; poor. Without facts, measuring, it's all a WAG. You can keep on trying different diameters, but without slugging the barrel, you'll have to get lucky and hit on one that works...

I have two 9mm pistols and neither have "9mm" barrels; one is .356" and the other is .3575"...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master

I always start at .357 in 9mm.

Doug

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cheese1566 View Post
    Good stuff but I like Hard Lube for pistol for storage...I may have to get another Star!
    I would much prefer to use hard lube for everything because it is easier to work with, doesn't get sticky, is easier to store and all kinds of things but sometimes it doesn't work as well and you have to sacrifice all these things for performance.

Boolit Master

My Beretta bore is .358 and I run .359 in all my 9mm. .357 resulted in leading, .358 was better, and .359 worked the best although not perfect. 9mm cast is frustrating in my experience. I use a custom .358 case expander to open the case just to the base of the particular 9mm design I am using, and bell the case at another station with a standard lee die.
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

Boolit Grand Master

I size boolits for my 9mm's .357. Taurus PT92 and Walther P-38.
    Stopped using hard lube when I found it still in the lube groove of recovered boolits. It's not doing it's job if it stays in the groove. Only use lubes that do not require heat. No leading.
    Worth trying....gary

Boolit Master

My M92 mikes .3565" groove diameter. I size to .358" and no leading with Lee 358-125 RF.
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Boolit Master

My 92FS slugged at 0.358+. The Lee 358-125-RF powder coated and sized to 0.358 worked with minor leading. Anything smaller leaded like crazy. I stuck an aluminum gas check on with the 0.358 sizer and leading disappeared. I set the Lee seating/taper crimp die for crimp so the round just barely fits in the 92FS chamber. My 92FS has worst of both worlds with a maximum groove diameter and minimum chamber diameter so its real picky.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Old Caster View Post
    I am thinking that a softer lube like 50/50 would be better for you.
    I also suggest the change of lube.

I also suggest you add 2% tin to your COWWs for a better alloy.

I've shot many Lee 120 TCs through numerous M9s (had 84 of them in my arms vault and an indoor range right next to it). I shot a lot of the above alloyed 356-120-TC bullets sized .356 and .357 lubed with Javelina (a soft NRA formula 50/50 lube) over 4 gr Bullseye w/o any leading what so ever.

Many of the harder lubes are great for commercial bullet casters and faster velocities but fall short of doing their job with loads like yours.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Master
    I would try a softer lubne and size at .358 that is what works in my 92 with the lee 125gr
    See Some of My Holster Work Here:
    www.whitetigerleatherworks.com

Another vote for the softer lube. I also quit using bevel base bullets in my 9mm.