WidenersTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Repackbox
Inline FabricationLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything Lee Precision

Thread: Lifespan of molds? Al, brass, steel?

Boolit Buddy

Lifespan of molds? Al, brass, steel?

How long do molds last? 10,000 casts? 20,000 casts?

assume you treat it well. Also compare different materials. Aluminum, steel, brass...

if they're cared for, indefinitely. I have and old Lee hollow base semi wad cutter muzzle loader bullet mold from 1972 and it's still kicking. I'd opt for steel if you want to leave it to the great grand kids.

Boolit Grand Master

I've been preferring brass lately, but all of them will outlive you if cared for properly.

I'd imagine Aluminum would be the least forgiving, at least as far as galling. Obviously it can corrode but not rust.

Banned

I have 2 molds I had to lap out to get them back to the correct diameter.
    they are both steel [mehanite] molds I have had for about 20 years.
    I sold so many of those two boolits I paid for three stars, two master casters, 25+ molds and the lead/tin to make more boolits than that...

I doubt either an aluminum or brass mold would have held out that long.

Boolit Master

... until you drop them.

Vendor Sponsor

All depends on the care. Simple as that. The more you use a mould, or anything else for that matter, the more chances there are for it to get messed up. Simply dropping a mould off a bench will kill it. That's not that hard to do.

I have Lee Aluminum Moulds from 1976 that are still producing perfect boolits. I have one Lyman Steel .38 cal. mould that I have never gotten a good boolit out of. I have other steel moulds I have gotten nothing but perfect boolits from. I have a brass mould that has produced perfect boolits since the second pour. I like the brass ones as the brass holds the heat better than aluminum does. Steel works well also and isn't very finicky when it gets to temp. Pluses and minuses for all types, obviously all of them work or they wouldn't exist..

If you are talking about wearing one out, then obviously the brass or aluminum moulds will wear out first simply because the metal is softer. However if you take care of them and don't ding them or abuse them in any way, they should last indefinitely as well.

We are talking "lifetimes" for the average user here. Commercial users probably will see changes.

You have to get up pretty early in the morning to wear out a mould, but a moment of carelessness can end it's useful life in a second.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master

They'll last as long as a 1966 GTO will.
    But, it depends on who's driving the Goat.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Grand Master

As others have said here care is and handling is actually harder on molds than using them is. Improper handling or storage will kill a mold fast. Rough use slaming it, using a steel object to tap on it, dropping it, or heating to hot all shorten the life. Carefull handling pre alighnining on a flat plate to colse, using soft tools to tap, keeping at the proper temps and raising slowly all extend the life of the mold. I have seen more molds ruined with improper storage than use.

I have an RCBS round nose 45 ACP mold that I bought in about 1978. I am pretty sure I have made 300,000 bullets with it, and it still drops good bullets.
    NRA Life Member

Commercial casters get about 1 million per steel block i heard before they are worn out.Most of the time is the alignment holes and top from sprue plate damage.
    Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelt of elderberries

Boolit Master
    Used to know a fellow in Florida that inherited a Sharps "Big 50"from his Grand father.Had a leather covered wood storage case with a bunch of accesories including the bullet mold.As of 1985 when we moved to Tn,it was still going strong.At that point IIRC the mold was appx 100 years old.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFrox View Post
    ... until you drop them.
    ...or get the brass one to hot and warp it.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Master
    I have been using the same aluminum custom fishing jig molds for my business for 35 years and they are still going strong with no changes. I even bought backup custom molds back then in case they originals wore out and those extras were never used. Who knows how many thousand jigs those molds have produced.

Boolit Grand Master

A lifetime and then some if treated properly. My idiot brother-in law can ruin one in 15 minutes.
    Don't use them to drive nails with.
    Gary

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    A lifetime and then some if treated properly. My idiot brother-in law can ruin one in 15 minutes.
    Don't use them to drive nails with.
    Gary
    Huh?? Someone had to be told this???

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Hickory View Post
    They'll last as long as a 1966 GTO will.
    But, it depends on who's driving the Goat.
    my '67 goat only lasted about a year until someone stole it a week before xmas. I loved that car with the his/her automatic.