RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingLoad DataRepackboxWideners
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision

Thread: simple Hi-Tek coating

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by HI-TEK View Post
    Ausglock and BMac
    The trouble is, when not wearing reading glasses, all is a blur. (coated with Hi Tek) lol lol
    I did not even check spelling before posting.
    Most slack lol lol
    That happens to old, senile people.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Liberty'sSon View Post
    Rich22, I had a similar problem using the Lee push thru dies. I solved it by polishing the inside of the die with some 600 grit sandpaper inserted into a slit on the end of a dowel. It opened the die about 5 ten thousandths but that is actually what I wanted to happen. You could probably slick up the inside of the die without opening it up a measurable amount if you tried.
    After measuring several bullets it looks like I have a situation I have to fix first. I am casting out of round big time. By about 5 or 6 thousandths. I had one range from .353 to .358 and one from .3565 to .363 and I will measure a few more later, obviously I am screwing up something big time but I have no idea what it is.

Boolit Man
    If it's out of round from one side of the seam of the bullet to the other your alignment pins are either dirty or out of alignment. If it's .353 on the seam and .358 measuring 90 degrees from the seam, you probably have some debris on the face of the mold not allowing it to close all the way.

Boolit Master

Hardline,

Cast a little the other day with the 115 gr No Lube Groove 4 cavity, they were nice!

I have not used the 230 gr as of yet.

I DID NOT WASH THE MOLD WITH SOAPY WATER, I did just as AUSGLOCK said to do,

WIPE OFF WITH A PAPER TOWEL, SPRAY WITH "HI-TEK SUPER 500 MOLD RELEASE"

THEN START CASTING.

It worked for me.

Thanks to HARDLINE for a Great Mold and AUSGLOCK for Great advise on how to clean and cast with it.

MOONMAN

Boolit Master
    I have contacted Hardline regards lengthening their 130gn 9mm to 135.
    I would love a 5 or 6 cavity with the smaller Dia. bullets.
    The 45 RN is fine in 4 cavity.
    The mold blocks could use going on a diet too as they are bloody heavy for hand casting.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardline View Post
    If it's out of round from one side of the seam of the bullet to the other your alignment pins are either dirty or out of alignment. If it's .353 on the seam and .358 measuring 90 degrees from the seam, you probably have some debris on the face of the mold not allowing it to close all the way.

It is larger along the groove , smaller 90 degrees from the seam larger with the seam

Hardline in 147 .357, joy to work with, makes pretty projectiles.

Quote Originally Posted by BMac View Post

Hardline in 147 .357, joy to work with, makes pretty projectiles.
    They look brilliant, well done sir....
    Don't worry about life, no-one gets out alive.

Boolit Master
    Well. it's been a busy week.
    Bloody HI-TEK Joe has been slave driving me to get the DRY-TEK tested.
    7 test samples later and they are all good to go.
    The DRY-TEK coatings tested:
    Red/copper, Brown/Copper (this one I'm calling Copperhead), Shiny Black, Fast red, Maroon, Zombie Green and Texas Tea (black/gold).
    The Zombie green was tested with 3 extreme catalyst in the powder, rather than the standard catalyst.
    The bullets sized easy, just like the liquid coating with 3 extreme catalyst.

I imagine this is going to be very popular in the USA.

My mix ratio is 20gms of DRY-TEK to 100mls or Acetone. this coats just like 5-1-7 of the liquid mix.

Shelf life of the mixed coating seems to be great. I have had 3 different colours mixed and sitting on my bench for over 2 weeks. I used these to coat today and all coated fine. All passed the smash and wipe test with flying colours. They are getting fired tomorrow.
    So. if you want to try the DRY-TEK coatings, you better get onto Donnie at Bayou Bullets or Byron at Gateway Bullets.
    I better get ready to test more.
    I have so many different samples here, I can see some more weeds getting killed. time to tip more coatings out.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master
    boolit with dark green two coats 200 grain .452 after hitting bowling pin.

Last edited by zomby woof; 05-24-2014 at 10:04 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ausglock View Post
    The Zombie green was tested with 3 extreme catalyst in the powder, rather than the standard catalyst.
    We got a lot of zombies here in the states that need it!
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Buddy
    Red/copper, Brown/Copper (this one I'm calling Copperhead), Shiny Black, Fast red, Maroon, Zombie Green and Texas Tea (black/gold).

My mix ratio is 20gms of DRY-TEK to 100mls or Acetone. this coats just like 5-1-7 of the liquid mix.

Shelf life of the mixed coating seems to be great. I have had 3 different colours mixed and sitting on my bench for over 2 weeks. I used these to coat today and all coated fine. All passed the smash and wipe test with flying colours. They are getting fired tomorrow.
    So. if you want to try the DRY-TEK coatings, you better get onto Donnie at Bayou Bullets or Byron at Gateway Bullets.
    I have so many different samples here, I can see some more weeds getting killed. time to tip more coatings out.

Trevor you better not have "tested" to much of my powder! If my shipment comes up short I'll know where to start looking!!!! Lol
    Gatewaybullets.com

Boolit Master
    You will love the copperhead. It is very nice.
    The Zombie Green still needs tweeking. It is OK, but not great. A bit more green and it will be fantastic.
    All the samples I have tested either get melted down or given a coat of kryptonite Green or the Maroon as a third coat. these cover the not so good colours and make the bullets usable.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master

Ausglock,
    You have a photo of the COPPERHEAD?

Boolit Master
    Not yet. But I'll go take a few shortly.
    Imagine red/copper only lighter and brighter.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master

I'd be more than happy to try some out for you,I'm working on a 100mtr 357 load and always shoot 303's. Pat

Boolit Master
    Pat.
    PM sent.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Buddy
    It's getting close guys! Here is what it will look like and will be packed with 5 packs inside, and each pack will weigh 20 grams. All you will have to do is pour the contents of one pack into a container and add 100ml of your favorite solvent.

Give me another week or so to get all of the CORRECT labels from the printer (as it is nonflammable now and the catalyst is in the powder) and other misc items and we should be good to go!

Pricing will be around the same cost as the solvent base. The savings will be on shipping! No more hazmat!

Here are the colors that will be available.

Black
    Zombie Green
    Brown Copper
    Red Copper
    Texas Tea
    Water Based PTFE

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	32.2 KB 
ID:	106332
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	44.7 KB 
ID:	106333
    Last edited by Gateway Bullets; 05-28-2014 at 08:16 AM.
    Gatewaybullets.com

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Gateway Bullets View Post
    It's getting close guys! Here is what it will look like and will be packed with 5 packs inside, and each pack will weigh 20 grams. All you will have to do is pour the contents of one pack into a container and add 100ml of your favorite solvent.

Here are the colors that will be available.
    Black
    Zombie Green
    Brown Copper
    Red Copper
    Texas Tea
    Water Based PTFE
    Gateway,
    Why not sell in small containers and someone can open up a screw top lid, take out what they want and close the container back up? The larger container would be easier on you as far as packaging goes. Some guys will want to make small batches, others very large batches, this would make it easier on the end user also.

I thought PTFE was bad as a bullet coating because of the temperatures involved? That is why we all started using HiTek coating.

Which color is most like copper jacketed bullets... Red copper or Brown Copper?

Last question, will you offer multiple colors inside one pack? If you stick with the small package size and not a container, you could throw in packages of different colors, red copper, green, black all in the same package. This would be great for the guys that don't want to buy 4 or 5 liters of the coating, but would like to try 4 or 5 colors.

-Steve
    -Wildcat

Love Life
    1 tbs powder to 6 TBS acetone is about perfect for coverage with 2 coats. No leading in 45 acp, 38 special, 357 mag, and 10mm. 5ML of mixture sqirted on 3 handfulls of boolits, swirl/tumble, dump and bake.