Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Load DataReloading EverythingWidenersSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision Repackbox

Thread: Please Help Me Put a Value on This Winchester

Please Help Me Put a Value on This Winchester

I got this gun as part of a buyout from an older gentlemen. From what research I have done, I think I have something pretty nice here. It looks to be a Winchester model 52 target rifle, heavy barrel with a Unertl scope. It also looks like it has a custom stock and the trigger has been very worked. Literally a hair trigger.

I am looking to offload this in some sort of trade to get myself in a good trap gun. I would like opinions on what you guys think this is worth. Thanks in advance.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Winchester52 001.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	46.8 KB 
ID:	106269Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Winchester52 002.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	49.5 KB 
ID:	106270Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Winchester52 003.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	42.6 KB 
ID:	106271Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Winchester52 004.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	46.5 KB 
ID:	106272Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Winchester52 005.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	48.0 KB 
ID:	106273Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Winchester52 007.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	46.9 KB 
ID:	106274Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Winchester52 008.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	40.8 KB 
ID:	106275

Boolit Master

Unertl scope alone sold by itself will be in the $700 - $900 range depending upon the power and what style reticle. Looks like you have a 52C if I see the photo's correctly. Also looks as if the barrel may have been set back due to an eroded spot just in front of the chamber. I suspect that because of how close the barrel lettering is to the receiver. I have not looked at the price on these rifles lately. Mine is a 52B with an original stock configuration. I do not believe yours is original stock configuration so could be worth less or more depending on the market and what an individual shooter wants. Believe an original configuration 52B target is somewhere in the neighborhood of $700 in excellent condition. Look at some on gunbroker. They are tough to sell where I live because all of the smallbore leagues have dried up - Not many shooters. There's a start for you.
    Being human is not for sissies.

You are correct..the barrel is set back, but I was unable to determine why. Seems like you answered that mystery. It is some sort of aftermarket stock which I know will lower the value. I did check on gunbroker and the prices are all over the map. Thanks for your opinion!

What power is the Unertl?

eBay is a better indicator of scope price. The higher power's bring more $.

The "Programmer" Unertls are the most pricy. A 36X Programmer can bring up to $2,500.00!

Winchester 52 prices are, as you've noted variable. I have five 52's. Un-modified 52's bring big $. There are 2 types of 52 owners, collectors and shooters. A collector would have no interest in your 52, but a shooter would.

Shooter-grade guns do bring less. Your rifle must have had throat/leade wear. This happens from either improper cleaning or erosion @ 6:00 o'clock from extensive firing. Shortening a barrel @ the breach and rechambering is common to restore accuracy.

Can you post close up pics of the trigger from the side and from underneath?

Some rifles have been retrofitted w/ aftermarket, rare and very valuable triggers.

Boolit Master

You didn't mention iron sights. They affect price also. As mentioned trigger, scope,stock,condition affect price.