Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRepackboxInline Fabrication
WidenersLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: new Rossi 92 357 magnum

Sure Bob, bring it along. And bring a case of a nice IPA or some other nice Ale as well....

I've finally reached Nirvana with my own Rossi 92. It had me running in circles the last few meets but I never found time to look at it. I just lived with the stickiness that came and went. This led me to playing with taper crimping my loads done using .357Mag brass and lead boolits. I used a Lee 9mm factory crimp die to do this. And while it turned out to not be the actual issue I still recommend it to anyone looking for the positively slickest and fastest cycling if you need that sort of thing. It really aids in letting the rounds slip into the chamber with that little extra smoothness as the boolits turn the corner to rise up into place.

But it STILL would get sticky at times. I finally broke the gun down to deep clean it hoping that would help. And what did I find...........

The darn pin on the elevator that holds the detent button in place was walking out and in. And that pin is in EXACTLY the right spot to foul the rim as the bolt pushes it forward. And when that happens it bumps the elevator down and lets the bolt drive the nose of the bullet into the lower lip of the chamber. NO WONDER I HAD TO RATTLE THE LEVER AROUND ! ! ! ! Yet because it was moving in and out easily I never saw it during my previous inspections. I just got LUCKY is all....

That dastardly pin now has the edges of the hole on BOTH sides lightly swaged with a small center punch mark to ensure I can get it out if I'm serious but that it won't walk out on it's own ever again.

I then went on to use my tuned up Rossi for a weekend of cowboy action. It operated smooth as a fresh caught fish on a wet cutting board. Well enough for me to win in the Senior Duelist category for our big annual shoot.
    Witty saying to be plagarized shortly.....

Good to hear. Do they have a slow and crotchety and hard of hearing division. If so I am in. If I bring it down I will leave it with Kim and let you know. I will in Seattle for a week or so (He says begging).

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Boolit Grand Master

Congrats and thanks for the range report. Sounds like you have done well. A 92 in .38 has been on my want list for some time. Still waiting on the pics.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1401143071.676839.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	65.8 KB 
ID:	106160Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1401143082.500138.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	53.6 KB 
ID:	106161Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1401143092.875218.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	56.0 KB 
ID:	106162Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1401143106.239212.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	48.4 KB 
ID:	106163

Ok here are pictures !
    These are pics after i refinished the stock with walnut stain and Tru oil. I was really nervous about reattatching the forarm and barrel band but it went on real easy with no file or drill work.
    I did have to open the bolt hole in the stock a little to line up the screw properly.
    Stock is quite shiney, i may use Stock sheen to knock it down a little.
    I used water and a 220 sanding sponge to remove the original mud and it came off real easy.

Just ordered Steve Gunz peep sight that goes in the safty hole.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1401143724.075168.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	73.5 KB 
ID:	106175Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1401143740.362974.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	57.9 KB 
ID:	106176

Close up of stock and forearm.

That is so much better. Great work.

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

looking real nice - good work
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Welcome to the wonderful world of the Rossi 92. I love mine and like a post upstream will chamber everything I'v tried so far. I have not Smithed it up yet because mine was right good out of the box i will however do something to the wood. lol I like this lever so well that like many others have done here, will start looking serious at the .44 Mag. It will at least boil down to one of them or a good deal in a Used Ruger .44 Mag semi. Enjoy and keep shooting.
    Last edited by Hooker53; 06-08-2014 at 10:52 PM. Reason: More words

Quote Originally Posted by robertbank View Post
    .....If I bring it down I will leave it with Kim and let you know......

Bob
    You might want to bring along Guido as a collection agency when it's time to get it back. She's seriously lusting after her own '92 after getting to try mine out. You might need to have Guido bust a kneecap or two to get the rifle back out of her clutches......

Jimbo, that looks great. It might even be a little TOO shiney for my tastes.

I've found that the least sheen buildup comes from raw linseed oil. But it stays oily feeling for literally months before it cures hard. Next up is boiled linseed oil which builds to a low lustre sheen with a few coats applied a week or so apart. Next is treated tung oil which builds to a harder and glossier shine. But even that isn't as shiny as your Tru Oil job appears to be. So that's the one I'd put highest on the "shiny sheen list".
    Witty saying to be plagarized shortly.....