Snyders JerkyWidenersReloading EverythingLoad Data
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2

Thread: What do you gents think?

Boolit Master

What do you gents think?

I've got a family member that's interested in making a large purchase of these projectiles and was concerned that the rounded nose would be a turn off. These are weighing in at at 54 gns plus or minus a tenth. He's planing on buying about 350,000 of these to resell.

Any input would be helpful!!

"The right of the people to keep and bear...arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country..." (James Madison, I Annals of Congress 434 [June 8, 1789])

Once the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.
    Benjamin Franklin

May Liberty Increase!
    I guess a lot depends on price. I'm assuming they're 224 bullets from the weight. For plinkers at the right price, I wouldn't care.

It also depends on what audience he's trying to obtain customers from. I doubt they'd sell well on some less pragmatic forums and/or general public for the very reasons you stated. How soon does he want his money out of them? That could affect the pricing/purchase as well.

I bought a bunch of rough looking mechanically pulled 224 55gr bullets a couple years ago for short range work/plinking. I just looked it up and those cost me $0.05/each. I'm not saying that's all I'd pay for the ones you show, just providing a data point.

Hornady 55gr BT-FMJ are selling for $0.14/each and appear pretty rounded in the Grafs website photo (below).

The Hornady website shows a sharper point. Maybe older ones were more rounded.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails hrn2267.jpg  
    Last edited by Guardian; 05-21-2014 at 05:37 PM.
    WANTED: CH AutoChamp Mark IV, V, or Va - PM me if you've got one you'd like to part with.

Those might work in a tube magazine, like maybe a 30/30

Boolit Master

1720 miles East of Wall Drug, North of Cooperstown, NY
    depending on price by the K or 10K I would be interested. lead or steel core either way, what are they dia. wise.

Ken
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Je suis Charlie
    Remember Lavoy!
    I'll cling to my God and my guns, and you can keep the "Change".

Boolit Master

Lead and copper are hot commotities right now especially in that form. If he can get them cheap enough to make a profit, and still sell them cheap he will do well.
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

Boolit Master

Good input. I'll be putting these up against some Hornady's this weekend if the weather permits. I'm thinking if they shoot straight and compare with the more well know stuff, I'd buy them.
    "The right of the people to keep and bear...arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country..." (James Madison, I Annals of Congress 434 [June 8, 1789])

Once the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.
    Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Buddy
    performance will go a long way, and Hornady is the one to beat. Youre on the right track.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Guardian View Post
    Hornady 55gr BT-FMJ are selling for $0.14/each.
    I see them pop up pretty often online for $0.09 each.

Boolit Buddy
    The key will be the price. I load a fair amount of .223 (Like others, I'm guessing these are .224 projectiles due to the weight). However, even for plinking I load bulk soft point slugs. Purchased in bulk, I can buy soft points for close to the same money as FMJ's. If I want to hunt with the SP's I can. Just the $.02 of an old and poor shooter.

Boolit Master

Just to confirm. These are 224's. Guess I forgot to mention that little tidbit.

Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Master

if the price is right ...... as bob barker said come on down. Sure i'd buy some of em.

Love Life
    If the price is right AND they can hang with the Hornady FMJ then I would be in for at least 1,000 and possibly 10,000 if there is a price break.

Boolit Buddy

Good bullet, or low grade 'blaster', the rounded nose doesn't bother me. Most reloaders that I know wouldn't care about it, either.

Whether or not they'd be profitable depends on the price point and the history. If they're known to be Armscor bullets, for example, more people would be interested than if they were just labeled as a generic 55 gr FMJBTs.

I no longer buy FMJs at all, but even during the first Barackalypse, I was able to fill my regular Hornady 55 gr FMJ order at a little over $0.06 apiece and an additional order at $0.0593 apiece ($593.00 per 10k). Obviously, prices are a little different now; but the old prices are still fresh in peoples' minds and plenty of bullets are shipping now.
    And... I would avoid competing directly with the Hornady bullets, unless these bullets perform just as well. In my opinion, the Hornady 55 gr FMJs are the best 'non-match' .224" FMJs on the market.
    The best bet, in a mass market setting, is to take on a low grade piece of trash like the Winchester Power Point.
    Proud winner of February 2012's "Ugliest Gun" contest.

I bought some bullets at a gun show years ago that looked just like that. No idea who made them, but they shot just fine for plinking.

Boolit Master

Well. Shot the slugs against hornady's. No comparison. I got a .610 inch group with 748 powder and R&P brass and Hndy slugs. The unnamed ones were 3.997 inch group. 5 shots. Not pretty.

Benjamin Franklin

Frosted Boolits

Yikes! I can't really tell from the picture but it looks like they have very little bearing surface???
    My Feedback : http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...iscoyotehunter

An armed society is a polite society.

the BB knows

Boolit Master

That's about the same results I get with "mil spec" vs. quality bullets. Not surprising. IMO, that's plenty good for the kind of load you might want a lot of in the event of societal collapse.

David
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

I think they need to be 30 cal, some have given up or never bothered with pop guns
    I have sworn on the altar of GOD eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
    Thomas Jefferson

" Any law that is NOT constitutional is not a law" James Madison

Boolit Master

If the price is right, these might be considered a core and jacket, in need of swaging.
    Have you run one into you point form die to see if if it can be fixed?
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper