Load DataSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxTitan ReloadingInline FabricationReloading Everything
Wideners RotoMetals2

Thread: Copper plated buck shot

Banned

Copper plated buck shot

I have access to a bunch of copper plated buck shot. If I use this to harden pure I'm guessing the plated will not melt in with the mix?
    I can get it @ .50 lb, there is a 55 gallon barrel of it with non plated mixed in.
    I was thinking that if the plating would mix in I would have tougher boolits.

Boolit Buddy
    Fastfire, I would try casting with a handful before I bought the whole lot. Theirs precious little copper on those balls I don't think it will hamper the casting properties and can likely be skimmed off. The hardness comes from the lead alloy the copper wash just makes them look cute and adds lubricity. Frank C.

I'd try it. The Cu wash should add just enough to make tougher boolits. I've melted plated pennies and the Cu disappears.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    I'd try it. The Cu wash should add just enough to make tougher boolits. I've melted plated pennies and the Cu disappears.
    OK but what about the zinc???
    Lead bullets Matter

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves. - Will Rodgers

Boolit Buddy
    Buckshot especially plated is pretty pricey.
    I would not be surprised if you could triple your investment by listing it for sale on some of the reloading forums.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by baogongmeo View Post
    I would not be surprised if you could triple your investment by listing it for sale on some of the reloading forums.
    Thought about that too.

Put some soldering paste on it to help the copper dissolve into the lead? When adding copper to lead I first melt it into solder (60% tin) After that it's just put it in with the lead. 10% tin 1% copper is about 18 BHN IIRC. Some tough alloy. Could probly perform like a modern always expand, never fragment if HPed, and cross cut.
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!

Boolit Master

Worth more as buckshot. Trade for lino or wheel weights.

Boolit Buddy
    +1 the above

What size buckshot is it?

Boolit Master

Worth way more that melting it by a long shot... You sell that stuff and buy all the alloys you want shipped to your door and have cash left over...
    Can you separate the copper plated from the NON? If not don't worry about sell as is.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Leslie Sapp View Post
    +1 the above

What size buckshot is it?

Mixed but they will separate to what I want.

Boolit Buddy
    This is unfired, usable copper plated buckshot?

I'd be interested in some #1, if available.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by fastfire View Post
    I have access to a bunch of copper plated buck shot. If I use this to harden pure I'm guessing the plated will not melt in with the mix?
    I can get it @ .50 lb, there is a 55 gallon barrel of it with non plated mixed in.
    I was thinking that if the plating would mix in I would have tougher boolits.
    I bet that is one heavy **** barrel!

As noted, worth more in its current state. If they will seperate, you're evern further ahead. I'd buy as much as you could and sell it to buy more to sell if possible. It is a capital expense initially, but you'll make up plenty on your returns. Heck, I'd be interested in a few pounds of it just for trial's sake.

Boolit Grand Master

If unfired @ .50 lb I would buy it all and anymore that came up. Check the prices on 5 and 10 lb bags of buckshot. Even if it's fired or rejects that still a very good price.

Boolit Buddy
    If it's all sizes of buck mixed up you could screen it with 1/4" hardware cloth and have two piles...#4 buck and smaller and the other #3 buck and larger.
    You could probably find something else to separate it even more...maybe a piece of expanded steel.

Boolit Master

Copper plated buck shot

Quote Originally Posted by baogongmeo View Post
    +1 in that idea. Or swap for some alloy.

If fired, I wonder where that much plated buck came from. Maybe a police range?

If you end up using it, beneath that copper is almost surely magnum shot, which has some antimony.
    Last edited by Jtarm; 05-15-2014 at 01:40 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    +1 on buying it all
    "Failure to prepare is preparing to fail" - Benjamin Franklin