MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
RepackboxRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLoad Data
Wideners Lee Precision
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: Have you ever noticed how much...

Boolit Master
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	god-is-great-beer-is-good-people-are-crazy-77673241.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	19.8 KB 
ID:	104493

Boolit Master
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	benjamin-franklin-beer-is-proof-god-loves-us-art-print-poster.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	44.1 KB 
ID:	104494

Boolit Master

Whitespider,

No; never noticed. Never tried it. I don't have time to do ANYTHING else when casting. I'm sorry for you that you thought your original post was appropriate. I ran your numbers through a blood alcohol calculator starting at 175 pounds, 4-1/2 hours and 17 beers at a conservative 3.5% alcohol. That would equate to being legally drunk in all 50 states whether or not you thought so. I started upping the weight and even at 300 pounds you would be leglly drunk in all 50 states based on those parameters. It didn' give a BAC beyond .08%.

Another calculator gave this based on standard 4.5% alcohol at 200 pounds:

■Your estimated BAC (4.5 hours after ingestion):

0.238%
    ■You can legally drive (BAC < 0.08%) in 7.9 hours
    ■You will be completely sober in 11.9 hours

WOW. You considered yourself unaffected. Just WOW.

I fully support your choice to do things most of us wouldn't. I support the prerogative of anyone to do anything that doesn't put ANYONE else at risk as long as it isn't illegal. I don't condone bragging about it in a forum of Gentlemen and Gentlewomen. Fire retardant clothing donned.

David
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    Probably does, but why take the chance?
    Also we weren't moving the lead much once we got it into the pots. We just used fixtures to hold the steel in the heated lead.
    The lead pot held approximately 1000lbs of pure lead.
    It made great sinkers and musket balls.
    Because we could end up in paralysis over risk analysis. By all means, we should evaluate risks and take necessary precautions, but there is a reason we do not cast with a supplied air respirator or SCBA. Because when someone said "just use the SCBA, why take a chance?" someone else said "because the risk analysis does not suggest that the hazards present warrant SCBA as a PPE selection for preventative measures".

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    One of the few times working in the trade ( tool and die maker) I came very close to loosing body parts was after a coworkers 3 drink lunch hour. I was working in the coining blanking die set making an adjustment ( my Do not operate tag was on the control panel start switch) I had tag as was making a small adjustment hadnt reapplied ti lock. He came back I was wrist deep in the die set when I heard the warning horn sound start. I did get out. The inebreated coworker IGNORED the do noty operate tag and started the machine. I will admiot He avoided me for close to a month after this.
    I do not understand why the coworker did not avoid you PERMANENTLY after this incident due to no longer being a coworker.

Boolit Grand Master

I didnt report it but probably should have. In most shops it is considered an illness or something similar and rehab is the recomendation.

Quote Originally Posted by btroj View Post
    Look on this site for posts about people who tested the hood over their pot for lead residue. It is all over the place. Between small bits from splashes, dust, and residue from fluxing the lead gets all over everything around the lead pot. That includes your beer. Think about that.
    OK... so how close to the pot does my beer sit?? Do you know?? Have you asked??
    How far away is safe?? Three feet?? Five feet?? More??
    OK... If there's that much dust and residue allover the place, wouldn't that mean I'm breathing more of it than I could ever get form the can top?? Think about that.
    If the pot is to the left of where I'm standing (which it is), and the beer can is to my right at arms reach (which it is), than any lead dust or residue getting to the can would necessarily drift directly through the very air I'm breathing... that's the only way it could get to the can, by drifting past my nose‼ I'm standing half-way between the pot and the can (actually closer to the pot)... every breath I take would be putting more lead in my system than could ever be introduced from the can top. Think about that.

I believe you are over reacting to an issue that either does not exist, or does not add consequence.
    It's common sense man... I don't put my hands in my mouth, I don't put my hands on the part of the can that touches my mouth, and I set the can as far from the pot as is convenient (about 4-5 feet or so). If'n I was gonna' worry... I'd be shopin' respirators before frettin' over a beer can.

Besides... my beer cans get emptied faster than dust can settle

Boolit Grand Master
    Common sense isn't that common, you have proved that.

Do what you want, I don't care.
    You will learn far more at the casting, loading, and shooting bench than you ever will at a computer bench.

Do what you want, I don't care.
    Of course you care... otherwise you wouldn't have stayed with this as long as you have.

Boolit Grand Master
    So much better. Why didn't I listen to Recluse earlier and give Frank company.
    You will learn far more at the casting, loading, and shooting bench than you ever will at a computer bench.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    Can you shoot a boolit designed for gas checks, without gas checks?
    That really is a good point.

Boolit Master
    Or about anything else for that matter.
    I haven't really counted but the OP seems to have the most posts on this subject, and seems to be in a Pi--ing contest to see how long he can keep this thing going. As for good posters the OP has penned some pretty good stuff concerning loading and casting. I am quite sure he will be very happy if this debate turns out to be the longest post ever done on this web site. No malice intended. This is my last post concerning it. Yehhhhh!

Boolit Master

Who is Frank? I was off of the forum during that time period.

Boolit Grand Master
    Frank was, before he got banned, the poster boy for the ignore list.

Actually.... I kind of miss Frank... I thought his post were..... shall we say interesting? Or maybe entertaining might be a better word...
    Experience is the source of all knowledge.

Bottom line is.... bad acts are usually self correcting errors ... Hey Y'all, watch this !
    Experience is the source of all knowledge.

Boolit Mold
    My only question... Did you drink them 17 beers with aplomb?

Aplomb??
    Are you asking if I maintained my imperturbable self-possession, or are you asking if I maintained my perpendicular orientation??
    No matter I reckon, either way the answer is yes... I always do.