Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationWidenersRepackboxLoad Data
Lee Precision RotoMetals2
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need help, Ohio just opening rifle for deer...

Boolit Master
    Living and hunting in Ohio for several decades, I was happy to hear the news allowing certain rifle cartridges to be used for deer hunting. I may have to carry my 50-70 next season. However, I have used a handgun for a couple of decades for Ohio white tailed deer and found in fine. I first started with a 44 Magnum but eventually settled on the 45 long Colt witha 260 grain boolit and a full load of black powder. If I do my part, the ammunition will do fine.

I understand the allure of the -70 cartridges, but in reality, a handgun cartridge from a handgun does fine. I would imagine a 45 long Colt froma rifle or carbine would be good also. Or the 44. I am not sure how I would be able to handle a 45-70 from a wheelchair, so I would recommend something with less recoil.

If you are in NE Ohio, I would be happy to lend you a rifle to see how it would work for you. Let me know.
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks again to everyone. Sorry if I haven't replied to each person individually, I am a poor typist, but I assure you I have read every single post. I am not dead set on a 45-70 but am definitely leaning in that direction, due to my past experience, and sentimental reasons, although I would love to fire one from the chair and be able to maneuver with one through the woods in the chair to see how they work out. I wish there were more organizations that helped disabled hunters and sportsmen with things like this in my area. I was told by someone a sturdy shooting stick type bipod, along with a long eye relief pistol or shotgun scope mounted far towards the forward end of the front grip would be very helpful with this setup, and easier for me to use and acquire targets, without having to bear the full weight of the rifle. Anyone have any experience shooting from a similar platform with this caliber? How is the recoil? How fast to reacquire target?

I was really impressed by the http://www.wildwestgunsak.com/the-al...ilot-rifle.php , although it is way more expensive than I can probably ever afford. I have seen some in stainless that are nearly too fine to shoot. Ah well, that's a dream, back down to the sad reality. lol

In Remembrance
    In reality the co-pilot would have no gain over a guide gun in the field, except maybe lightening your wallet. lol
    The 45/70 at trap door levels has real light recoil. As far as holding one up, only you know how you will be able to handle that. I would think getting around in a wheel chair with a rifle will be much easier than getting a deer out of the field with one, so I am presuming you will have a hunting partner.

Boolit Grand Master

A set of cross sticks or a mono pod will be a great aid in supporting the rifle and give a big increase in accuracy able to be obtained from the wheel chair. The draw back is most are slow to get hieght adjustments made. Another issue is as rifle wieght goes down felt recoil goes up. Not sure where in Ohio you are located bu would also offer the chance to test a couple rifles if your in Northwest Ohio. I am also disabled I dont hunt but shoot bpcr shilloettes. Perhaps a rest made to mount right on the wheelchair? Chair could be adjusted for left right and a simple adjustable set up for hieght. It could be made removeable also.

Another vote for the 38-55/375 win. Modern guns can be loaded to give you a decent trajectory to 200 yrds.
    Plus less recoil than the 45-70 and bigger.

Boolit Master
    Since you have a soft spot for the .45-70, that may be your best choice. And especially if you load your own, you can load one somewhat light, say 1100-1200fps, and have a rifle that will take any deer out there with very little recoil. The downside will be the trajectory beyond 100-125yds or so will make your 200yd range a bit questionable.
    I passed my last psych eval, how bout you?

In Remembrance
    Personally I think keeping recoil down will make 200 yard shots tough in any of the caliber choices given. I think it will require quite a bit of practice with any of them. 200 yards is my personal limit with any rifle, most of the choices I hold the limit down to 150 and under, but that is just my preference.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    A set of cross sticks or a mono pod will be a great aid in supporting the rifle and give a big increase in accuracy able to be obtained from the wheel chair. The draw back is most are slow to get hieght adjustments made. Another issue is as rifle wieght goes down felt recoil goes up. Not sure where in Ohio you are located bu would also offer the chance to test a couple rifles if your in Northwest Ohio. I am also disabled I dont hunt but shoot bpcr shilloettes. Perhaps a rest made to mount right on the wheelchair? Chair could be adjusted for left right and a simple adjustable set up for hieght. It could be made removeable also.
    Thanks I really appreciate the offer. I am however in the furthest possible corner of sw ohio hanging on for dear life lol. I looked at the mono pod stick things, a good idea I might have to try one out. Just for a little more information, it is not a regular hospital type wheelchair, but a big honking electric model with substantial tires and frame that probably weighs 300 lbs itself. (it's not going to flip over when I shoot anything for sure) it's modified to hit around 12mph on the street, but that really eats up the batteries. Normal use gets me 4-5mph (maybe 8) with about a 15-20 mile range per full charge on both batteries (independent for each tire) depending on terrain and elevation. I don't know if it would take any kind of removable mount, but its something to look in to. Thanks.

I don't know if they do down there but the izaak Walton league up here put paved trails for accesbility in.

Boolit Grand Master

This is very interesting. With your 200yrd parameter I would say 45-70. If closer I would go with a 454 Casull only because you can use 45Colt in it.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    The .45-70 is one of the easiest cartridges to load. Even the soft cowboy type boolits are very effective and you can use darn near any powder in it. A 300 grain slug at 1400 fps is easy to shoot and more effective than most .44 Magnum loads. As of last week my local shop had a New Haven made 1895 on the shelf still with the tags hanging for $600.00 as I remember. They are happy to ship, let me know if you're interested.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Grand Master

Deriust, HAndle a few if possible at LGS or gun shows. I believe midways have several diffrent mono pods as does cabellas. You mau have to order it mail order or online. For test purposes a long solid dowel will give an idea of if it will help. It may need to be around 6 feet tall or long.A 2x2 5-6 feet long with a series of 1/2" holes drilled down one side every 3/4" to 1" with a light sanding and sharp edges broke would give a idea of how it works for you and of the hieght you will need. Im a firm believer in trying testing before hitting the hunting fields with new equipment. A 4" steel spike or maybe a little longer on the bottom will aide support and stability also. I have been researching the all terrain chairs also for awhile as Im only a few years from one with the effects of Multiple Schlrocsis.

Boolit Mold
    I read somewhere that more deer are killed by automobiles than hunters. May I suggest a 1976 Chevy half-ton pickup. Use an old one and you won't care about the dent.

I am,
    reddnekked

Boolit Bub
    One thing to consider with guns shooting cartridges that have rainbow trajectories is the distance limit to be ethical. Most hunters in the know,and good experienced ones at that, will often admit to a self imposed limit of 150 yards due to the difficulty in judging distance closely. Off by a few yards and a crippled animal can be made. You know,like with a 45/70 or the like. Being able to have a 200 yard where you can aim right at what you want to hit with no hold over and be a lil high aiming right at the bread basket at a distance of ,say, 75 yards may take a 45/70 that was sorta HOT.

I'd recommend a self imposed limit of 150 or less yards with any of the allowed calibers. Personnally a limit of 100 yards would be better. I'd rather shoot a FOR SURE quick clean kill shot than chance a wounded wasted painful death shot.

Of course practice and the use of a range finder would be invaluable as would the use of a scoped rifle to go longer range. Being on a platform in a chair with a clear view would give some time forstationary shots and time fer usin a range finder and all. That would extend the range to 200 and possibly further with an Hombre that takes the time(and pleasure) to practice and use the equipment needed.

Besides rainbow trajectory the often not mentioned fact of FT/LBS of energy and bullet construction should be considered with any of the calibers listed.

I've read on many occaision and believe that a minimum ft/lbs from the bullet of 500ft/lbs at any distance is needed fer deer. More is better.

Leave any round nose bullets fer the target range. Pick a caliber that likes a nice big flat nose metplat on the bullets. Cast bullets that is. Jacketed would be nice jacketed soft points.

The calibers listed have some bad choices unless the hunter knows his stuff. One is the 45 S&W (Scholfield). It is not always able to be loaded in very strong guns unless they are 45 Colt chambered and.....the 45 Colt would be better.

The 357's and the 44 mags and the 45 Colts loaded hot can take deer out a bit further than most might expect but.....they gotta be sorta HOT loaded with the right bullet.
    Some Hombre may not like the sound of ahot 357 mag or 44 mag orhot 45 Colt when not wearing ear protection. The noise of the shot should be considerd with a caliber pick.

I thunk ifin it were me in a chair I'd use a single shot lever gun like a Sharps or a Winchester type High Wall fer the accuracy that is usually better than with a repeater unless the recoil was too much.

I like the advise someone gave bout trying some rifles out by borrowing before buying.
    Of course.....any rifle can be made to be comfortable if an Hombre is a reloader and a bullet caster.

Ifin it were me at a platform I'd practice from it with whatever rifle I picked and.....probably use lil survey flags(orange/pink) to mark some range set out like radius from the platform.

I thunk the recoil if heavy could be handled by an Hombre in a chair since he would know not to have his shoulder back against something too solid like hunters know not to shoot with their shoulder back against a tree or post or whatever is too solid and not moveable.

I'd leave a 38 Special at home unless it could shoot +P loads and keep the range conservative. I wouldn't pick 45 S&W unless it was to be used like a bow hunter would hunt. CLOSE.

I'd remember the 500 ft/lbs minimum fer energy also and the bullet type to be used.

Sure less ft/lbs could be used on deer but....why take the chance on a wounded animal gettin into the brush and being wasted to all but the coyote and the buzzards.

I know the brush and the deer in Ohio very well. I live in Coshocton County Ohio.

Baiting is allowed in Ohio now from what I'm told. Using apples(over ripe cider too)and molasses and "corn" cracked would make fer an easy rifle pick.Bring them in close. Put a stuffed dummie in a chair where the hunter would be and rippen it with some doe-in-heat scent from time totime so the deer wouldn't be scared of it when the hunter was there.

Just some suggestions that might make fer an easier rifle caliber pick.

I have a 357 mag. carbine,45 Colt rifle, and an 1886 Winchester 45/70 type(Miroko) and I would use any of them within the limits of them.

I'd want my platform fer my chair right in the thick stuff where the deer end up fairly quick opening day. Thick stuff on one side and open grown up field on the other.

I'm gettin up there in years and it's harder and harder to still hunt the brush now-a-days sos......I'd be using a lever gun that was good fer shorter range anyhow since I would be standing still a lot. A heavy gun might cramp my style too much now-a-days. A carbine bout the weight of a nice Model 94 Winchester would be just about right. A Model 92 in 357 mag, 44 mag. 45 Colt would do the job out to a hundrd with the right loads and bullet.

Groo here
    Fellow Buckeye .
    My dad is 80 and we got him to hunt by using a 4x4 and a scoped pistol. [our farm]
    If you have your HC tag for the car I think its ok for you to.
    Given the conditions I would get a Contender.
    In a car use as pistol [you can move it around.
    In the open use with 16+in barrel and stock.
    I have one dad wants to use that is 16 1/2in Thumbhole in 357 max.
    It can be loaded up to 35rem spec and in a single shot ,use pointed bullets for longer ranges.

Groo here
    Fellow Buckeye .
    My dad is 80 and we got him to hunt by using a 4x4 and a scoped pistol. [our farm]
    If you have your HC tag for the car I think its ok for you to.
    Given the conditions I would get a Contender.
    In a car use as pistol [you can move it around.
    In the open use with 16+in barrel and stock.
    I have one dad wants to use that is 16 1/2in Thumbhole in 357 max.
    It can be loaded up to 35rem spec and in a single shot ,use pointed bullets for longer ranges.
    PS Last year Dad got a nice doe with a S&W TRR8 5in 357 and Leverevolution ammo about 35yds one shot.

Boolit Master
    I'm confused by the list myself. A smart-butt with a chip on his shoulder and a massive inferiority complex COULD chamber a Ruger #1 in 50-110 and stoke it up running, say a 750g Hornady A-max but I'd be in violation using my .308.

Boolit Grand Master

I still believe who is using the rifle is more important than whats being used. Ive helped bitcher and see some pretty big animals (stears and pigs) put down with a little 22 long rifle. Accurate shot placement is critical disrupt the vitals and it over. ANy on the list are capable of doing that with good shot placement. Im not advocating using a 22 but we seem toforget the accuracy needed to cleanly dispatch an animal. An basic understanding of the animals make up and where organs are in relation to diffrent angles of the shot. As the ranges get farther seeing these angles and line of bullets path gets harder to do. As hunters our job is to cleanly and humanely dispath the game we are hunting. That means the basic knowledge of the animal, using enough gun, and practicing to be profient enough to place the shot. I see alot of hunters that practice from a bench or supported position in the offseason then take the shots offhand having never practiced from standing offhand. A good rifle in an appropriate caliber with a hunter that practices honestly will put alot of venison on the table over the years. I understand the issues handicapped hunters face as I am handicapped disabled now. Stand hunting and picking the shots goes along ways to succsess.

Quote Originally Posted by pworley1 View Post
    A 405g 45 70 cast from a Ruger #1 or 1885 Winchester will take anything you might want to shoot.
    If you intend to use a single shot, might just as well use a 50 caliber muzzleloader with 40 caliber sabots. You can get up to 35 Remington velocity with those. 44 and 357 magnum are going to be the rounds you'll find most available, with the 44 being the most effective of the two.
    "If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson

Deriust-
    You just achieved both starting a riot and a controversial thread. This thread will go on for days, and will inevitably pit .44s vs .45s and maybe a little rossi vs marlin too. Sounds like your best bet is a .45-70 because of the ease of obtaining rounds, and the availability of guns. I like how they list a .45acp, unless it's allowed for pistol too.

Most importantly, welcome to the site! Sit back an watch the ensuing discussion.
    Last edited by .45Cole; 05-11-2014 at 12:24 AM.