Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyRepackbox
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lee 2 cavity for 45 colt which mold?

Lee 2 cavity for 45 colt which mold?

Do I go for the lighter weight and get tumble lube design or the 250+ grain without TL grooves. Will be tumble lubed with 45/45/10 lube. Most of my ammo (store bought) is 250 grain RN bullet.

• TL452-230-2R
    • TL452-230TC
    • 452-255-RF
    • 452-252-SWC

I understand the 230 gr. will tend to shoot low in my SA vaquero unless powder load is adjusted. So I'm leaning toward the 255 gr. RF or 252 gr. SWC design. Just wonder if I'm setting myself up for failure using standard lube grooves with tumble lube.

Know there are some higher quality molds but at this point they don't fit my budget, Lee molds do. Also that COWW based lead may impact weight/size that the mold throws.

Perma-Banned

Standard lube grooves work fine tumble lubed...but they will have to be sized...based on my experience.

Just get a Lee push thru sizer and you will be set for the 255 or 252 bullets.

I would opt for the 6 cavity mold if buying Lee as they seem to align better than the 2 cavity.

Boolit Master

My BH loves any bullet 250 grs or more. The RNFP shoots well and tumble lubing should be no problem and it has a crimp groove where as the 230's you mentioned don't.

Boolit Master

I use the 452-255-RF in my NM Vaqueros with 8 gr of Unique, shoots to point of aim, and has same velocity as Factory Remington .45 Colt 255 lead ammo.
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Thanks all for sharing your advice and experience. 452-255-RF seems a clear winner. I am tempted to purchase the 6 cavity but for now I will be using a ladle not bottom pour, not sure I can use a 6 cavity with a ladle. From Titan the 6 cavity is only $18 more so if I can use it with a ladle it seems like a good deal.

I use a ladle for all my 6 cav's, works fine.
    Charlie

"The fool has said in his heart, There is no God" Psalm 53:1

Quote Originally Posted by boatworks View Post
    I use a ladle for all my 6 cav's, works fine.
    No problems with sprue being soft at one end while getting too hard at the other? What size ladle do you use?
    If I did the math right 6 bullets at 255 grains is just over 1/4 lb. so I wondered what size ladle would be plenty of lead without being a pain to work with. I'm guessing the Lee $5 soup spoon won't be enough.

Lyman makes a decent ladle with an adequate capacity for most six cavities. As soon as the last cavity sprue is set up, you can open the sprue plate.

Boolit Grand Master

Just got a 452-255 RF and as the MW reviews state it drops @ .454 w/ COWW. I'm using it in my BP revolvers; Lyman 452424 two cav was too slow to keep up with 4 hungry Colts and the 6 cav TL mould probably won't hold much SPG.
    Nice mould, drops a nice boolit. Likes to run hot so I keep a wet sock around to cool it off.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master
    Most have suggested tyhe 255-RF. It's my choice too.

I use the .452-255-RF in the .45 Colt. The bullet comes out at .455, I size to .454 lube with SPG & have great results. I also use a middle load of Unique & get 830fps from a 5-1/2" bbl. This bullet shoots accuratly & hits with authority. The meplate is almost big enough to dance on, it's a great bullet. That's the one I'd get if I were going to do it again. I think you will be pleased with it.

I have one 4 cavity mould, & I use the Lyman dipper, it holds enough lead to pour 4 .44 cavitys. The way I judge when to cut the sprue is when the sprues turn a duller color. If you open the sprue too soon you will tin the top of the mould & the underside of the sprue plate. I'd rather wait a bit too long than a bit too soon.
    U.S.A. " RIDE FOR THE BRAND OR LEAVE!"

Quote Originally Posted by spfd1903 View Post
    Lyman makes a decent ladle with an adequate capacity for most six cavities. As soon as the last cavity sprue is set up, you can open the sprue plate.
    I'm guessing this is the popular Lyman dipper. I ordered that ladle from Amazon, and the mold from Titan Reloading. Went with the two cav version of the 452-255 RF, cost was a factor, adding in the extra cost of handles for the 6 cav mold made it more expensive. I'm just getting started with "saving money by casting and reloading" so there where other items such as press and dies that I also needed. All I can say is it is a good thing my wife is going on a trip with a girlfriend so she is in an especially good mood when the order confirmation showed up in the email from Titan.

Also just starting out I think I might find it easier to keep track of what I did when pouring to what comes out of two cavities rather than 6. My bread and butter ammo is 38/357 so 45 LC will probably be limited production but I am looking forward to firing that Ruger with bullets that are mine from ingot to target.

For the price, if LEE make's a 6 holer, I go that route.

Boolit Master
    I have used RCBS ladles on 6-cavity molds for many tens of thousands of bullets (2,500 last week). For me at least it is almost as fast as the bottom pour furnace and I have better control of the casting process !

Jerry
    S&W .38/44 Outdoorsman Accumulator

It was a tough call on how many cavities but at the same time I was buying a classic turret press, set of dies, pro powder measure, and safety prime plus the risers and brackets. Add in the mold and ladle plus the other stuff purchased in the not to distant past, plus money on scrap lead and I was really starting to go over budget, heck who am I kidding I was already over budget. Talked myself into this big purchase on the basis of shipping cost saved by getting single shipment and research on this site that pretty much convinces me I will spend the money eventually. That Lee Loader and big bag of 38 boolits I bought from a caster at a gun show was like a free sample from a crack dealer, just got me hooked.

All the reasons given for purchasing the 6 cavity seemed good and valid (and broadly supported by member comments) I will probably go that route later for 38/357 due to the information in this thread. Just getting started so purchase cost of equipment has been high. My hobby has to "give" a bit because I have all the usual spring house and yard projects coming out of the budget, and some work to do on the camper all at the same time. If I can learn to cast well with a 2 cavity then maybe later as finances allow I can replace it with a 6 cavity and pass this 2 cavity one on to someone else just getting started.

I guess what I am saying is the advice on 6 cavity was appreciated, not taking it was not out of disrespect or disagreement. Just financial since between on thing or another I was already spending more than I had planned for.

I know that feeling. Enjoy what you have and make do with it!

Boolit Master

IMO lee 255gr RF

I like the 255RF, feeds in most rifles as well as being a great handgun bullet. No TL grooves for me. You can TL any bullet, the TL grooves limit you if you want to lube/size.
    I have a ladle but I prefer a BP pot.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    For the price, if LEE make's a 6 holer, I go that route.
    Track of the Wolf has the Lee 6 cavity for the 454190 bullet, 250gr. Only issue is - they drop at 268 to 271grs and uniform base diameters leave much to be desired
    So order the Accurate Mold 5 cavity for the 454190 - drop dead nuts at 250grs and the mold casts perfect bullets
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master
    yup, Lyman's 454190 is the traditional .45 Colt's bullet and 454424 is the Keith bullet, as is RCBS 454-255swc, save for one of these molds or Accurate's version.

Boolit Grand Master

Al (NOE) just announced "last call" on an excellent 45 Colt GB mould (452423). I like the economy of the 2 cav Lee but if you're looking for quality and volume production this is an excellent opportunity.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.