Snyders JerkyRepackboxLoad DataRotoMetals2
WidenersTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sodiun Sterate question for chemist ?

Boolit Master

Sodiun Sterate question for chemist ?

Can sodium sterate be used on an equal weight basis with dried ivory soap flakes?

I'm going to make some of 357Maximums lube and it calls for 1oz of dried ivory soap flakes.

I need to know the weight relationship between it and sodium sterate for the basic recipe Mike provides and possible increases for HOT weather so I can control modifications.

Boolit Master
    Sorry, I was under the belief we had some chemists on this board.

Boolit Grand Master
    There are, but maybe just haven't seen your post. My chemistry degree was too long ago, to help you.

Boolit Buddy
    If I remember correctly Ivory soap is about 70% sodium sterate.

Boolit Master

Use .5-5% pure Sodium Sterate...I wouldn't use more than that...4-5% will raise your melt temp 20 -30 deg F. It won't foam as much using pure compared to Ivory in some recipes. Ivory has a lot of water in it.

Boolit Master

Boolit Master
    Thank you for the reply.

Boolit Master
    Randyrat I took a second look at the link and it provided all the information I needed to calculate what I need to know. Thanks a million for your link and input.

It took a dedicated man (357 Maximum) and intelligent people that were dedicated to helping to bring forward a great lube from it's "dormancy" to the forfront .

Above I thanked RandyRat for his link referencing my question!
    That is not intirely true, I contacted my local college in Maryland. I explained the problem and they responded with a COMPLETE answer!!
    I strongy suggest anyone having a techinal question do the same! Just contact your states college and get a correct answer.
    Last edited by MBTcustom; 05-12-2014 at 07:21 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    Feelings of entitlement often go unfulfilled
    Last edited by btroj; 05-08-2014 at 06:46 PM.
    You will learn far more at the casting, loading, and shooting bench than you ever will at a computer bench.

Banned

sounds like someone just want's to get some vacation time.

I'd have just told you the answer to your question but I was 2-k miles away from home [computer] when you asked it, and it looks like you figured it out the same way I did [by doing some research on my own]

Boolit Grand Master
    What? Two full days and no response?
    Last edited by robertbank; 05-12-2014 at 08:06 PM. Reason: Mild baiting but baiting none the less
    You will learn far more at the casting, loading, and shooting bench than you ever will at a computer bench.

Little Egypt, Part of the political fifedom of Chicago
    Quote Originally Posted by Changeling View Post
    357Maximums (Satan lube) and Bens RED, OUTSTANDING acomplishments!
    Usually, advancements are made from a known product. In Mike's case, he was told about the old NRA lube (equal parts parrafin, vaseline and beeswax) about the time he started making lubes. He simply added some ivory flakes. That process has a scientific name also and was quite well known in the late 1800's. Not many things are new under the sun, especially this.

Banned

changeling:
    nobody was developing anything for anybody.
    you apparently misunderstood the whole point of the quest...
    Mike got over whatever it is you ain't over [shrug] and participated again.
    finding out nobody is out to gain anything from anybody else's effort might come as a shock to your system.
    it's not like we stole Mikes super secret recipe and made up a 5 ton batch of the stuff and started selling it all over the country.
    we tested the ingredients in bens lube and mikes and felixes and some of jeff's and glens stuff too.
    big deal we gave away no trade secrets or hurt anybody.
    apparently you have missed the posts [and I'm sure any p.m.'s] where we have discussed their lubes [with them] and gave them props and even some suggestions, some of which they took.

Banned

oh, one more thing.
    who cares? it's just boolit lube.

Boolit Grand Master
    If Mike wants me to back off he will tell me so personally. I have exchanged numerous PMs regarding lube with him in the past and see no reason he wouldn't tell me straight up. Mike is man enough to speak for himself.

I did the work I did on lubes to further the knowledge. We shared info openly and honestly.

Do I feel I owe you anything? Nope. If you feel otherwise I suggest you get over that real fast, I hate to see you disappointed.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Changeling View Post
    Maryland university fulfilled any questions I had, so there wasn't any reason to waste my time or yours again.
    After all you three are so busy utilizing your chemistry knowledge to develop a "great" lube for all the little people for the "last few years" I didn't want to interupt you again with a simple chemistry question, or any others.

I mean after all 357Maximum's (Satan lube) and Ben's Red has kinda taken the "SHINE" off anything you have done/created period, I think that is "0" if I'm not mistaken.

And now you want right off the bat to MODIFY 357's recipe, even though you were told by him (rightly so) politely to BACK OFF, it's great like it is.
    Then you wanted to start pointing fingers and nasty remarks at me sugesting I need a vacation from the forum! Now you seem to think I owe you some response, well you have your response!

357Maximums (Satan lube) and Bens RED, OUTSTANDING acomplishments! Three Mouse cateers "0"! You could at least have complemented these two gentlemen for creating there lube accomplishments.

I hope this satisfies your need for a reply!!
    Where in the world is all this animosity coming from? I read the thread you are talking about and all I saw was some good natured ribbing, not any sort of real conflict.

This is a forum about bullet lube for Pete's sake. Why get this upset about bullet lube?
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Boolit Grand Master
    Look at this thread for more evidence.
    Last edited by MBTcustom; 05-12-2014 at 07:25 PM.

Ageed...satan's lube and ben's red are top notch lubes.....but so is simple lube...and it is a result of the quest. I think it was r5r's baby.I've used it over a year now with no complaints even in 100* temps and cold is certainly no problem for it.

Right now i'm using ben's red and love the way it puts the first shot in. Want to try satan's lube next as i know from all the reports it's a good one.

Just saying the quest has produced a good lube too. Also the way i understand it a good revolver lube too but haven't tried it. I have used the simple lube and know it to be a good rifle lube. Not putting anybody's lube over another cause so far they're all good and in the end i'll settle on one that works best in my rifle.

Good luck with the satan's lube Changeling...it's next to try on my list.

Boolit Grand Master
    That is sorta how I saw it too Mike but apparently someone else felt otherwise.

Boolit Grand Master
    This is a family orientated forum. I KNOW you can do better. I just deleted your thought. Try again.

Bob

Oh, I can do much better. Sadly, so could the rest of the forum
    Last edited by btroj; 05-13-2014 at 06:00 AM.