RepackboxTitan ReloadingInline FabricationLee Precision
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2WidenersLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: tuft of dacron over powder

tuft of dacron over powder

I have seen this talked about on this forum and listed in my Lyman cast bullet manual can some one point me in the right direction to find the dacron that is use to hold the powder in place or take up space in the case.
    Where do you get it from? I want to try it for loading my trap door Springfield.
    Would a cotton ball make a good substitute?

Boolit Master

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01453.jpg 
Views:	445 
Size:	63.3 KB 
ID:	103466

I have some that I offered to sell. A nice big wad for $12.50 postage included
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Years ago I used cotton ball in my 45-70 with excellent results.

Boolit Grand Master

You'll find lots of specific information concerning the use of Dacron fillers in; http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...use-of-fillers

Larry Gibson

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    I bought a big bag of Dacron fluff at WalMart. It is used to stuff toys. Works much better than the sheets of batting. Just pull of a pinch, roll it in a ball (will not stay), and stuff it in the neck with a rod. I use an Allen wrench. Then tamp it down.

Simple and VERY effective!

Someday soon (when the planets align) Larry Gibson and & are going to meet up over at his place and do some testing for pistol carts with Dacron!

banger

Any store that deals in sewing supplies should have both the quilt batting (like the picture above) or in the bagged fluff for stuffing pillows and such... Hobby-Lobby comes to mind. While you're there pick a couple yards of 100% knapped cotton for cutting your own cleaning patches... you'll never go back to buying that pre-cut junk hanging on store hooks.

With Dacron filler, less is more.
    I don't roll it in a ball or tamp it down... I pull off a pinch, sort'a stretch it out a bit, and feed it in the case neck with the aid of a small diameter wooden dowel. The idea (at least my idea) is to keep it expanded so it fills the case using as little as possible while still holding the powder to the rear. It don't take much to do that... for example, a tuft weighing 'round 1 grain is what I use with 19 grains 2400 in the .30-06.

Boolit Master

I used dacron over BlueDot in 45 LC it tighten the group up to about 1.5 inches with the revolver and almost tack driver status in my lever gun.
    Are my kids/grandkids more important than "o"'s kids, to me they are,darn tooting they are!!! They deserve the same armed protection afforded "o"'s kids.
    I have been hoodwinked but not by"o"
    In God we trust,in "o" never trust
    Support those that support the Constitution and the 2nd Amendant

There are two primary camps on the use of Dacron. One is correct and the other is not. One is safe, and the other will cause ringed barrels. Both camps claim to be correct and the other not. I remain publically neutral.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Tatume View Post
    There are two primary camps on the use of Dacron. One is correct and the other is not. One is safe, and the other will cause ringed barrels. Both camps claim to be correct and the other not. I remain publically neutral.
    I have the same feeling. Who you gonna believe?

Boolit Grand Master
    I have never heard of Dacron causing damage!!!!!

Do you have a link to this wive's tale?

Thanks! Inquiring minds want to know.

bangerjim

When I was using the cotton balls in my 45-70, the cotton always exited the muzzle, unburnt and landed less than 10 yards downrange. Looked funny having the white puffball leaving the barrel when you shot.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Tatume View Post
    xxxxxxxxx
    Ringing can be caused by the "filler" acting like a secondary projectile. Reportedly the "filler" is accelerated in the case and is constricted by the case neck producing a momentary high pressure spike that will produce a "ring". I believe this is more often associated with a "wad". DON'T leave an airspace between your filler and the case neck, and no ringing will occur as there is no room for the "filler" to accelerate in the case. If you use dacron just push it into the case and leave well enuf alone. It will expand to fill the airspace above the powder. Do not try to "pack" it over the powder like a wad. I don't believe this phenomenon will/can occur in a straight walled case. FWIW Pilgrim

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    When I was using the cotton balls in my 45-70, the cotton always exited the muzzle, unburnt and landed less than 10 yards downrange. Looked funny having the white puffball leaving the barrel when you shot.
    After seeing flaming cotton fly out of the barrel (!) I stopped using cotton and went to Darcon. 'round here things are VERY dry most of the year and it is easy to start fires in the wild. Dacron is fire retardant/resistant and will not ignite from the powder. Cotton generally will ignite and burn.

Banger

Vendor Sponsor

Am I the only one here that uses toilet paper ?
    1/4 sheet in a 7.62 x 54R for reduced loads 30 herrett or 357 Herrett for fireforming loads
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
    xxxxxxxxx
    Ringing can be caused by the "filler" acting like a secondary projectile. Reportedly the "filler" is accelerated in the case and is constricted by the case neck producing a momentary high pressure spike that will produce a "ring". I believe this is more often associated with a "wad". DON'T leave an airspace between your filler and the case neck, and no ringing will occur as there is no room for the "filler" to accelerate in the case. If you use dacron just push it into the case and leave well enuf alone. It will expand to fill the airspace above the powder. Do not try to "pack" it over the powder like a wad. I don't believe this phenomenon will/can occur in a straight walled case. FWIW Pilgrim
    Interesting! I use such a small amount of Dacron fluff that if I do not tamp it down a bit, the powder will sift thru! Now that is a "small pinch" of filler! Dacron expands and if you are using so much you have trouble stuffing it in the mouth, that is waaaaay too much! I use ~0.2gn in 223's and ~0.3gn in 30-06. That is NOT much. I do NOT weigh every piece...(OMG).....that weight is only for this discussion. I just pull off a tuft, roll it into kind of a small ball with the thumb and 1st finger of each hand (it will NOT stay compressed like cotton), and stuff it in the mouth with a long Allen wrench.....then tap it down lightly.

It DOES gain some accuracy at the other end.

Works for me! Just sharin' what I have found out.

banger

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoke4320 View Post
    Am I the only one here that uses toilet paper ?
    1/4 sheet in a 7.62 x 54R for reduced loads 30 herrett or 357 Herrett for fireforming loads
    At least you will be the only one prepared when mother nature calls out on the range!!!!!!!

HA...........................ha!

It, like cotton is highly flammable, and is probably not recommended in fire-prone areas either.

If you are shootin' in a swamp............go for it! I think I paid $4 for that HUGE bag of Dacron fluff.....more than I would use in a lifetime.

banger

Boolit Master
    One ply toilet paper.....cut into 3/4" squares.....lay it on top of the case mouth and use a pencil to push it down to hold powder against primer. ...no chance of ringing the chamber.....weights nothing and won't leave melted residue in the barrel.

And costs near nothing!
    Roy B
    Massachusetts

www.rvbprecision.com

Boolit Master
    A friend of mine ruined a barrel using a synthetic material as a wad, I don't know which one but it melted in the barrel and in trying to get it out he damaged the barrel beyond use. I always use cotton. Where we shoot there is nothing in front of us but dirt. I have never seen the cotton catch fire anyway.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Bub
    Several years ago I used some kapok over powder tufts, about 1/2 grain not tamped over powder. This was meant to hold powder over primer. It did and worked fairly well. I also tried dacron, about the same amount, just to hold powder over primer. It held the powder over the primer OK . THE BAD PART IS THAT, IT RINGED A 30-06 CHAMBER! I did this twice. I have not used anything over the powder since and have not ringed a chamber in 40 years since.

Boolit Master

This catches fire, no it doesn't, that causes ringing, not so. Whats a newbie to think? What about Cream of Wheat (COW)?
    Lead bullets Matter

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves. - Will Rodgers