Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackbox
Load DataTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyWideners
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Great Gift

Wonderful rifle. Wonderful gift. Great boolit rifle to boot. Hope one day I can be in a position to do the same.
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Boolit Grand Master

Where our governors, congressmen AND THEIR WIVES make our license plates
    When my dad died mom gave me my grandfathers Win 94 RIFLE in 38-55.

I remember when my grandfather told dad that if someone were to stack up all of the deer that riflle had shot it would probably take a 40 acre field stacked nose to tail and 2 layers tall.

Old Texas Rangers never lie.

This one will stay in the family just as yours will with a ton of memories.
    WE WON. WE BEAT THE MACHINE. WE HAVE CCW NOW.

Banned

These rifles were from a time when they were real tools and not a hobby, only God knows how many deer they have taken and how many they will take.

Thanks all for letting me share my little piece of family history

Boolit Master
    This is one of the reasons our guns are so dear to us. They're a piece of our ancestry that we can hold in our hands. A tool and symbol that bring those memories of dad, gramps and childhood flooding back into our minds and something that we can pass down to our children and grandchildren that when they hold it in their hands will bring all the stories that we told them, flooding back into their memories as well.

They are part of our family history and heritage; part of us.

Thanks for sharing yours with us.

smokeywolf
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Boolit Master

It doesn't get any better than that!
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Banned

Awesome story wish i had one just like it to tell. Maybe someday.

Andy

My Dad gave my brother his deer rifle (721 30/06) and me his shotgun (A5 12ga) last summer. We talked of nothing else all the 2 hour drive home and still bring it up. Clint

Great Gift!

Quote Originally Posted by Bzcraig View Post
    It doesn't get any better than that!
    I damn near cryed reading about it.Grand Dad deserves a range trip.

Boolit Master
    Don't refinish the wood, and don't get the metal reblued. The amount of wear to the bluing and wood finish is normal, even modest, for the age and use that rifle has seen. It tells a story of a rifle that was used and respected by it's owners. It was a vital tool that was cared for and treated well and returned the kindness with it's performance in the field. That small amount of wear is what is known as "honest wear", meaning the wear expected from being used but not neglected. It speaks of the proud and loving use by former owners and hunters who took great care of the gear that took care of them. It speaks of people who owned it, of times long gone, of the duty this rifle served and gives honor to their days together. Love the rifle for it's appearance, it's caliber, and it's history. To refinish it would greatly disrespect the life it has experienced and the history of it's previous owners. Just my 2 cents worth.

Thin Man

Boolit Grand Master

Where our governors, congressmen AND THEIR WIVES make our license plates
    My new (pretty) guns will be kept that way.

Many of mine are 80-100+ years old and proudly show their age and service.

I can not make them BETTER by erasing that "been there done that" look of their dedication and service.

Some day write down what you remember of their history so that it can be passed on when you are gone.
    WE WON. WE BEAT THE MACHINE. WE HAVE CCW NOW.

Boolit Master

Nice, just plain nice. Personally I don't think I'd do any restoration to it. I am fortunate to have .22 caliber rifles from both grandfathers and a great grandfather.
    Jeepyj
    Sometimes it takes a second box of boolits to clear my head.
    Feed back thread http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...?261449-jeepyj

Banned

I think I have a load dialed in, should be scooting around 2,000 fps. This is at 75 yds, with a 35-200 RCBS sized to .360 and lubed with carnauba red.

Boolit Master

Just before dad died,(he knew the end was near), he gave his deer rifle to my brother. I couldn't object, he was literally "on his death bed". It was a Springfield 03-A3 that he had bought through the NRA, then sporterized by himself with a Herters stock. His wishes would be followed. He gave the rest of his guns to my other two brothers, again I was disappointed.

Brother Tom died a year ago last August. He has 9 kids! So there was immediately a fight about who got what. He too knew his time was about up, but made little effort to assign things like guns to his boys. So his gun collection, including the Springfield was appraised and included as part of the estate. His son David wanted to keep most of them, he has a great appreciation of family tradition, an avid hunter and I taught him to reload. Their value was subtracted from his part of the estate, he's got his grandpa's rifle! As well as most of the others tools. Well done Nephew!

338RUM, that's a classic rifle, with it's heritage, it's priceless. It's such a versatile caliber, you can even use pistol boolits with reduced loads for plinkers.

Tom shot one deer with dad's rifle. He said it felt like his shot was guided by dad's hands, even felt like he put the deer in front of him!
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
    You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
    You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."

“At the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat”--Theodore Roosevelt

What a gift! Be sure to pass it along eventually.

Boolit Master

That's one terrific story. GG Grandfather.... My Grandfathers didn't live long enough for me to even get to know them. I do have a Win 52B target in marvelous condition that belonged to my Grandfather. My Uncle Tom gave it to me, knowing his own kids would have no appreciation for it.
    That Remington - I couldn't bring myself to change one thing about that rifle. I'd love it more, just the way GG Grampa left it. Beautiful rifle, that. Mike
    Politicians are a lot like diapers. They should be changed frequently, and for the same reason. Benjamin Franklin

Banned

What can I do to the wood to "moisten" it up some, it is definitely getting dry and I am afraid it will crack.

Boolit Master
    I hope you treasure it. I am lucky enough to have a hammer that belonged to my Grandfather and dad. I never use it but when I hold it , I think I am shaking their hands.
    jim