WidenersLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Load DataTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Repackbox RotoMetals2

Thread: Ballistic Products-Shotgun Slug Loading & Field Application, 3rd

Boolit Bub

Ballistic Products-Shotgun Slug Loading & Field Application, 3rd

Hello Cast Boolits;

My first post to this great casting forum.

I want to start slug casting and handloading.

I have been loading for years but have never done slug. Is this a good book

or can you suggest others.

Many thank,
    primerhead

Boolit Master

I can't speak about that book, as I don't have it. But I would think as long as it's current print, and has data, that it wouldn't be a bad choice.
    JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

GOA and FPC have done more in the last decade than your NRA has done in it's entire existence... Support the ones that actually do something for you.

Boolit Master
    I have not looked @ their latest, but the last version was more of a pamphlet and pretty much only covered the slugs they sold. If you are going to cast your own I would think you would do good to look here and the shotgun world slug shooters sub forum.

Themoose
    Perhaps my learning skills have diminished in my senior years.. 50 years ago I could read something once and then "have it"... Now I read it about three times, do it a couple of times and then... "have it" only about half the time.

In Remembrance

Actually, its not too bad. And certainly if you never did slugs before it will help out.
    SOme accuse BPI of using computers to generate pressure and velocity numbers, rather than testing; but the numbers for most loads are close.
    And yes, like alot of manuals, they list the products they sell- but really, what do you expect?
    All thew reason to have more than one manual!
    But for what it is, I like mine.
    C-
    "...the civil libertarians and rationalists who are ever on the alert to oppose tyranny "failed to take into account man's almost infinite appetite for distractions." In 1984, Orwell added, people are controlled by inflicting pain. In Brave New World, they are controlled by inflicting pleasure. In short, Orwell feared that what we fear will ruin us. Huxley feared that what we desire will ruin us. This book is about the possibility that Huxley, not Orwell, was right.” -N.Postman

Boolit Grand Master

Not sure which edition I have but as stated above, it is not bad but limited to mostly BPI products and very few powder choices.

BPI also publishes one page data sheets which are handy and strangely use different recipes than what they show in their manual.

Reloading for Shotgunners has a decent slug loading section in it as well and of course the Lyman Shotshell Reloading Handbook is also a good choice.

So, as Carl said, best to have more than one manual.

If you know which slug you want to load, then you can narrow things down some. For instance if you want to load the Lyman sabot slug there are lots of recipes in the Lyman manual. Lee publishes data for their slugs but fairly limited. There is some Lee data in Reloading for Shotgunners.

Maybe do some reading here an don shotgunworld to get an idea of what is out there and what you want to load for then go from there.

In the end, you will probably want more than one source of info so several manuals will be handy.

Longbow