Titan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingRepackboxInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision Load Data

Thread: Springfield XDS 9mm

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar

Springfield XDS 9mm

Hey guys. I checked out a Springfield XDS 9mm pistol today and really like it. Anybody got one? How does it do with boolits? Aside from the recall have you had any problems with it? The only thing I don't like about the XDS is the red front sight. Can the standard XD sight be installed on it?
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Buddy
    I have an XDs in 9mm and cast and load for it. It was fairly uneventful. I cast the Lee 356-120-TC, size to .358, and lube with BAC. Never had a bit of problem with leading and my loads are quite accurate and chronograph just over 1000 fps with a SD of 18. Not sure about using a standard XD sight, however the gun does come with a green F/O insert included if it's just the color you object to vs. the F/O front sight in general. I really like the XDs line, have one in .45 as well. They shoot better than they should for what they are it seems.

Sounds like a winner. The XDS is the gun that Glock and Ruger refuse to make.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    Sounds like a winner. The XDS is the gun that Glock and Ruger refuse to make.
    Just curious, what features does the xds have that makes you feel that way (apart from being able to shoot cast from the stock barrel)

I like the XDs. I just can't get over the grip/tang safety. I feel like that was put there for the sole purpose of being different from glock.

I also dislike the high bore axis. Have you looked at the M&P9?

Boolit Buddy

Ruther Glen,Va. Recently escaped from Peoples Democratic of Illinois
    My wife has a M&P9c as her carry gun but when she shot my daughters XDs .45 she fell in love with it. Being the romantic fool I am I got her one for our 33 wedding aniversay.
    It is a soft shooting pistol for something that small in .45 and to us it just feels right.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Just curious, what features does the xds have that makes you feel that way (apart from being able to shoot cast from the stock barrel)

I like the XDs. I just can't get over the grip/tang safety. I feel like that was put there for the sole purpose of being different from glock.

I also dislike the high bore axis. Have you looked at the M&P9?
    I know that wasn't particularly directed at me, but well, I've never been bashful.

The XDs is the gun Glock refuses to make because it's a single stack polymer striker-fired handgun in a substantial caliber, 9mm and .45 ACP. I just can't understand why so many people make such a big deal over that grip safety. I don't even know it's there.....don't give it a second thought. It detracts from, nor brings nothing to the party IMO, it's just there. I AM the safety, same as I was during my 10 year affair with Glocks. Same with the whole bore axis thing....I guess the general Glocking communities' aversion to recoil must be why they introduced their first single stack pistol several years too late and a caliber or two too small. I have a hard time naturally pointing either one if I switch around a bunch which is why I dropped Glock like a bad habit after shooting the XDs .45 the first time. I can shoot either one fine and am pretty sure I'd never bemoan the fact that one was high or low bore axis. In general, I think most pick their allegiance, then dream up reasons to justify it.

Boolit Buddy
    Single stack magazine? I didn't know the XD lineup included that. Rereading the posts, I realize now that is probably what the s in xds indicates? I thought we were talking about the XD with a little extra polish XDM I believe - shows how much I know. That single stack sounds cool, is it significantly thinner than the double stack version?

I don't like the grip safeties because they are an extra complexity that really isn't needed. Just an opinion. I have seen people fail to disengage the grip safety on a 1911 once or twice.

My wife and I both have XD's in 9mm- (yes I know it is slightly off topic) - they are the least picky eating autoloaders I own. We sent one back to the factory for modification and the customer service was excellent. The grip safety I've never thought about, never given me any difficulties. Neither of us liked the XDM ergonomics although can't say specifically why, just preferred the XD. The S is on the shopping list the next time the piggy bank is full.
    The essence of education is self reliance- T.H. White.

Currently seeking wood carving tools, wood planes, froes, scorps, spokeshaves... etc....

I bought a XDs in .45 and will most likely be selling it, if I ever find a willing buyer. I had one LGS offer me $175 with all the original accessories, 4 mags , and like-new condition. I told them no thanks, I don't think so.

When I got it, I really liked that I could get 5 rds of .45ACP in something so small, and that it was still very shootable. When new, it came with a very good trigger compared to other striker-fired polymer pistols. I'm not expecting ANY of these black polymer guns to shoot like a custom 1911, I just want something that is not completely horrible.

Then came the safety recall. My gun came back with a trigger with 33% more takeup, about a 10 lb pull, that is squishy, and 'breaks' with a dull thud. Totally unsuitable for anything but last-chance self defense at very close range. Admittedly, this is probably why most people buy the little pistol, but I wanted something I could actually shoot.

I get the impression that this 'fix' by Springfield was a rush job that was pushed into place to cover their 'assets' without adequate consideration for keeping functionality.

I have since replaced the XDs .45 with an XDm 3.8 in .45 and added the PRP trigger kit.

Ultramag hit the nail on the head. What Im talking about is a thin, light, single stack version of the ubiquitous double stack poly frame pistol. Neither Glock or Ruger have ever produced one. Glock makes variants of larger guns with shorter grips and barrels. Ruger makes the same plus a single stack DAO pistol that is most definitely not up to the same standard of quality and performance of its full size pistols. I have a Ruger SR9c and a Kel-Tec PF9. The SR9c is a joy to shoot and not too bad to carry but just as wide and almost as heavy as the SR9. The PF9 is a joy to carry and not bad to shoot with my mild cast boolit reloads. Unlike the SR9c I have serious doubts about its longevity with standard power ammo.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Single stack magazine? I didn't know the XD lineup included that. Rereading the posts, I realize now that is probably what the s in xds indicates? I thought we were talking about the XD with a little extra polish XDM I believe - shows how much I know. That single stack sounds cool, is it significantly thinner than the double stack version?

I don't like the grip safeties because they are an extra complexity that really isn't needed. Just an opinion. I have seen people fail to disengage the grip safety on a 1911 once or twice.
    That is correct....the "S" in XDs literally stands for slim. It is significantly thinner than it's XD and XDm counterparts. It comes in well under an inch in thickness....right at 7/8" thick IIRC. Anyone who carries much, especially pocket carry as I do, knows that as silly as it sounds even .100" or so makes a huge difference. The Kahr PM/CM9 is the pocket gun to beat today IMO, and the XDs 9 gives it a heck of a run for it's money while the XDs .45 bests it in someways. While I enjoy owning and shooting the XDs 9 I know it'll never take my PM9's place in my pocket.....the XDs .45 just might though. While I wouldn't own the Kahr for it being "fun to shoot" I would the Springfield Armory guns. I'm still very impressed with how accurate and easy shooting these two guns are for what they are.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Cmm_3940 View Post
    I bought a XDs in .45 and will most likely be selling it, if I ever find a willing buyer. I had one LGS offer me $175 with all the original accessories, 4 mags , and like-new condition. I told them no thanks, I don't think so.

When I got it, I really liked that I could get 5 rds of .45ACP in something so small, and that it was still very shootable. When new, it came with a very good trigger compared to other striker-fired polymer pistols. I'm not expecting ANY of these black polymer guns to shoot like a custom 1911, I just want something that is not completely horrible.

Then came the safety recall. My gun came back with a trigger with 33% more takeup, about a 10 lb pull, that is squishy, and 'breaks' with a dull thud. Totally unsuitable for anything but last-chance self defense at very close range. Admittedly, this is probably why most people buy the little pistol, but I wanted something I could actually shoot.

I get the impression that this 'fix' by Springfield was a rush job that was pushed into place to cover their 'assets' without adequate consideration for keeping functionality.

I have since replaced the XDs .45 with an XDm 3.8 in .45 and added the PRP trigger kit.
    If your XDs really came back post recall with a 10 lb. trigger I'd call SA and get a call tag sent out. That is WAY out of their own specs for the gun and they will make it right.

I took notes on my two before I sent them in and can post actual before and after trigger pull weights to the ounce. Both guns came back heavier, however not by much, and I believe both would've worked back to basically what they were before with range time. I installed PRP trigger kits in each after one range trip to verify all was well.

Pre-Recall

XDs .45-----6 lbs. 1 oz.
    XDs 9mm---6 lbs. 1.5 oz.

The .45 had close to 1500 rds. through it the 9mm more like ~250 as it was fairly new

Post Recall

XDs .45------6 lbs. 7.5 oz.
    XDs 9mm----6 lbs. 13.5 oz.

The 9mm obviously increased the most. Not sure if it was due to having been shot less prior to the recall or just the luck of the draw. I unfortunately don't have brand new fresh from the factory trigger pull weights on my two examples to compare. Wish I did, it would be interesting.

Post Recall/After PRP kit install

XDs .45----5 lbs. 5 oz.
    XDs 9mm--5 lbs. 10 oz.

As you can see, the 9mm is always coming up the "worse" of the two. I didn't think to check the pull weights after putting 100 rds through each gun but before the PRP kits went in either. I really wasn't wanting to necessarily conduct an in depth study....I just mainly took the pre-recall weights down and recorded them in case I had to square off with SA over a bad recall job such as you report.

As you can see, 10 lbs. is not the norm necessarily. Something is wrong. I can't say it's ok, but they had every hand on deck and modded thousands of pistols in a very short period. It cost us end users nothing, and in fact they sent out a magazine with each gun. Cut them a little slack and let them fix the gun. Don't be the guy that palms your "problem" off on the next guy....make SA do right buy you and all the rest of us.