WidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Heavy 6.5 mould

Boolit Grand Master

Question Heavy 6.5 mould

I have a Lyman 6.5 mould that I've been using. I would like to get something heavier.
    It seems the Lee Cruise Missle being sold by Midsouth has lots of problems.
    What are the problems with it????

most state that it's too fat or something ,mine drops at .270x.269 which is rather fat in my humble opinion , there is or was a recent group buy for a properly spec'd one ( made this po'boy drool anyways )
    my problem is that i have several 6.5's ( not just fat bored old surplus ) and i was torn between the rcbs 140 S boolit or the lyman 150 ...
    Je suis Charlie

" To sit in judgment of those things which you perceive to be wrong or imperfect is to be one more person who is part of judgment, evil or imperfection."
    Wayne Dyer
    if it was easy would it be as worthy ? or as long of lasting impression ? the hardest of lessons are the best of teachers [shrugz]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLzFhOslZPM

Boolit Grand Master
    I'd rather have them fat. I can always resize them.
    Easier to make them smaller than larger.
    Better if they can be shot as cast, but whatever works.

Vendor Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by abunaitoo View Post
    I'd rather have them fat. I can always resize them.
    Easier to make them smaller than larger.
    Better if they can be shot as cast, but whatever works.
    I sure wish that someone would honcho Jumptrap's 140gr flatnose as a group buy. Or maybe Jumptrap himself. You still out there somewhere Jump?

It's not too fat for a Carcano or Jap but it does suffer from "Wobbly Bottom Syndrome". Makes oval holes.
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Boolit Master
    I have a Lyman 6.5 mould that I've been using. I would like to get something heavier.
    It seems the Lee Cruise Missle being sold by Midsouth has lots of problems.
    What are the problems with it????
    What cartridge are you wanting this bullet for?

1. 6.5X55 (38/96 Swedes)
    2. 6.5X55 (commercial ie. Sako, Tiika, Blaser, Remington,etc)
    3. .260 Rem.
    4. other

Makes a difference because their throats are all different length and dia. wise and a bullet that fit's one is not likely to fit another..

What Lyman mold do you have now and how heavy of a bullet do you want?

Boolit Grand Master
    I load both 6.5X55 Sweed and 6.5X50 Arisaka.
    Lyman I'm using is 266469. It cast .265di around 138gr.
    Weight is not my main concern, diameter is. But if I can find something bigger and heavier, that would be fine.
    I was thinking of beagling the Lyman, but was looking for what ever else was out there.
    Lee form Midsouth is cheap enough to try. It just seems like lots of people don't think much of it.
    That's why I wanted to find out what was bad about it.

Boolit Master

There is the group buy mold from Mihec that is going on now. It says it will be cut to the "original specifications" and will drop a 0.268 bullet of approx 170gr. It will be a 3 cavity brass mold. The only trouble is that it has been going for 2 years now. Miha has been having trouble getting the cherry design right. He has broken a few. Who knows when the buy will be completed. Not for anyone in a hurry. If I ever get it I will shoot it in a Norweigan Krag, a Swedish 38 and a Winchester 70 Featherweight.

Bob
    Si hostes visibilis, etiam tu

Boolit Master
    I load both 6.5X55 Sweed and 6.5X50 Arisaka.
    Lyman I'm using is 266469. It cast .265di around 138gr.
    Weight is not my main concern, diameter is. But if I can find something bigger and heavier, that would be fine.
    I was thinking of beagling the Lyman, but was looking for what ever else was out there.
    Lee form Midsouth is cheap enough to try. It just seems like lots of people don't think much of it.
    That's why I wanted to find out what was bad about it.
    If you want a proper sized 266469 submit your request for such a mold here:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...NOE-Group-Buys
    There are already two of us requesting that mold..
    If enough of us show interest then I bet it gets cut..

As far as the cruise missile goes to my eye the frigging nose is just to long even if it is cut to the proper dimensions to fit your rifle..
    See post #5 regarding that..
    I think it would be a much better balanced bullet with the nose shortened by at least 10-15 grs.

Another opinion for you is to ask Erik at hollowpointmold.com if he can enlarge your 266469 for you..
    I have read where he does that type of work..

Boolit Grand Master
    Is there anyplace else that sells the Lee Cruise Missile mould besides Midsouth????
    The mould price is reasonable. The shipping is as much as the mould.

HONCHO EMERITUS

Attachment 101126

I have a 2 cavity version of this design which was cut as a limited run by NOE a couple of years ago.

Very soon I'll be testing it in my sporterized 1895 Dutch Carbine chambered in 6.5x53R. A friend plugged these dimensions into a design program and said this one would fly better than the "Cruise Missile" just because the balance point is behind the center point. He said that all of the Cruise Missile samples he had measured out and plugged into the program had a balance point forward of the center or middle point of the boolit.
    -Matt
    Group Buys Honcho'd: C326-175-FN, 434-210-RF, C434-210-RF, 30-165-SIL-MOD, 358156-PB, 413-170-Keith, C348-225-FN, 8mm SIL, 45-230-CM, 45-270-Ohaus/SWC, Edd's 28-170-FN

Boolit Master
    Nice looking bullet Dutch..

I missed that buy altogether..
    Does the nose taper from .270" just above the top lube groove to .265"?..

HONCHO EMERITUS

Quote Originally Posted by Nrut View Post
    When this limited buy was ran I missed it as well. I contacted swedenelson and he had this one two cavity mold left over, which I bought from him. I have not yet cast any for my 6.5x53R, but I plan to fix that situation shortly. I have been working on case forming a large batch of Winchester .303 British brass this winter. I work night shift (full time and a side job) and it has been just too darn cold to cast overnight in the garage when I am off work. Now that it is finally warming up I'll be able to cast up a large batch of these and report that dimension accurately.

It has been my idea that if this design shoots well in my carbine that I would push him to include this design in his regular catalog.

Keep yer fingers crossed!
    -Matt
    Group Buys Honcho'd: C326-175-FN, 434-210-RF, C434-210-RF, 30-165-SIL-MOD, 358156-PB, 413-170-Keith, C348-225-FN, 8mm SIL, 45-230-CM, 45-270-Ohaus/SWC, Edd's 28-170-FN

HONCHO EMERITUS

Quote Originally Posted by Nrut View Post
    Nrut-

I just got done casting over 450 of these buggers. Brought 10 of them inside and took some measurements.

The nose does not taper down from .270" to .265" just above the top lube groove. The measurement is .265" just above the top groove. So, the top groove is not really a lube groove, but I think it should be considered more of a "scraper" groove. I am getting .270" on the bands. With the alloy I am using they will grow .001" over the next 2 weeks; however, this alloy always casts very close in dimension to straight clip on wheelweights when measured right after casting.

Gator 6.5 gas checks are an easy snap on fit. Weight is 159 grains as cast without gas check or lube.

The gas check shank looks like it will carry as much lube as the lube gooves; so there are really 3 usable lube grooves on this design.

I hope this information helps,
    Last edited by Dutch4122; 04-12-2014 at 03:13 AM.
    -Matt

How about the NOE 269-145FN-4G, in stock as of now