Load DataRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
WidenersLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Titan Reloading

Thread: Colt Delta Elite review published.

Colt Delta Elite review published.

I have been a huge fan of the 10mm Auto since about 1999 when I picked up my Colt Delta Elite GCNM. I began reloading for that round and really gained an appreciation for it.
    When I was as SHOT I was able to secure a new Colt Delta Elite to review. I got it not too long ago and just wrapped up the review.

Here it is, http://rangehot.com/got-chocolate-peanut-butter/

Thoughts please.
    My firearms review site. http://rangehot.com/

Boolit Master

Elite review

Very well done. Thanks.

Boolit Master
    Very interesting and well done. I read your history of the 10mm too. As a law enforcement officer my two cents are that we were suffering under the politics of underpowered pistols and law enforcement officers were losing their lives and no one cared until it happened to a couple of FBI agents. I remembered when there were "citizens panels" that condemned the use of hollow points by law enforcement and large police agencies mandated no magnum ammo in their officer's guns in spite of the objection by those who actually worked the streets and faced the armed bad guys. The advice of Elmer Keith was ignored. It was the Platt and Maddox shooting that changed that.

Today most officers use the .40 S&W. The 10mm was too much gun at first, the FBI agents I talked with about the 10mm hated it and the gun it came in, too heavy and too much recoil for guys who wore suits without Sam Browne belts. I only remember seeing one 10mm in law enforcement, a guy from another agency showed up at one of our shoots. We had a moving target set up and he couldn't hit with it, too much recoil.

Then there's the issue of how the guns last with the 10mm. I carry a 1911 in 45, the system was designed around that cartridge, how would the 1911 hold up to a 10mm? I've seen many manufacturers drill out their 9mm's to 40's and put heavy springs in them and sell them to us as 40's when the 40 was inducted. That didn't work out for us. Smith and Wesson came out with a real .40 in the 4006 but they were too late to the party. I fear the same thing, that the 1911 wouldn't hold up in the 10mm.

Colt has made the Single Action Army in 9mm. I wrote to them years ago and asked why they don't make a SAA in .38-40, .40 S&W and 10mm. It would be the first three caliber revolver ever sold and the SAA frame would easily handle the 10mm and shooters would have a flat shooting SAA with more humph than a .357. They never answered me.

I appreciate your articles.

My wife loves her Delta Elite. We bought it new at a local gun show a couple of years back. She shoots well with it. I like it too. My Colt 45 is more of a push as far as recoil goes. The 10 has more of a sharp recoil. You can tell the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Jack Hammer View Post
    Very interesting and well done. I read your history of the 10mm too. As a law enforcement officer my two cents are that we were suffering under the politics of underpowered pistols and law enforcement officers were losing their lives and no one cared until it happened to a couple of FBI agents. I remembered when there were "citizens panels" that condemned the use of hollow points by law enforcement and large police agencies mandated no magnum ammo in their officer's guns in spite of the objection by those who actually worked the streets and faced the armed bad guys. The advice of Elmer Keith was ignored. It was the Platt and Maddox shooting that changed that.

Today most officers use the .40 S&W. The 10mm was too much gun at first, the FBI agents I talked with about the 10mm hated it and the gun it came in, too heavy and too much recoil for guys who wore suits without Sam Browne belts. I only remember seeing one 10mm in law enforcement, a guy from another agency showed up at one of our shoots. We had a moving target set up and he couldn't hit with it, too much recoil.

Then there's the issue of how the guns last with the 10mm. I carry a 1911 in 45, the system was designed around that cartridge, how would the 1911 hold up to a 10mm? I've seen many manufacturers drill out their 9mm's to 40's and put heavy springs in them and sell them to us as 40's when the 40 was inducted. That didn't work out for us. Smith and Wesson came out with a real .40 in the 4006 but they were too late to the party. I fear the same thing, that the 1911 wouldn't hold up in the 10mm.

Colt has made the Single Action Army in 9mm. I wrote to them years ago and asked why they don't make a SAA in .38-40, .40 S&W and 10mm. It would be the first three caliber revolver ever sold and the SAA frame would easily handle the 10mm and shooters would have a flat shooting SAA with more humph than a .357. They never answered me.

I appreciate your articles.
    Awesome perspective. I would like to in some way share that with my readers.

Thank you all for your kind words.

Boolit Master
    I have a Delta Elite Gold Cup. It is an extremely accurate pistol. I am more interested in the accuracy level than trying to push the limits on velocity. Mine was made prior to any frame enhancements by Colt.

Boolit Master
    Hunter, if you are asking for my permission, go ahead. You have it.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Jack Hammer View Post
    Hunter, if you are asking for my permission, go ahead. You have it.
    I was and I will thank you very much. I will be sure to include your user name and this forum.

Hunter love to see ou review the S&W M&P PRO and CORE models. The later is easily equipped with a slide mounted optic sight. Some say it won't be long before LEO's will move to the slide mounted sight.

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

You can publish my comments if you want to.

Quote Originally Posted by robertbank View Post
    Hunter love to see ou review the S&W M&P PRO and CORE models. The later is easily equipped with a slide mounted optic sight. Some say it won't be long before LEO's will move to the slide mounted sight.

Take Care

Bob
    Why don't you make your way to NC like you have been promising me for almost 10 years now and we can talk about it? Hugs Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter View Post
    Why don't you make your way to NC like you have been promising me for almost 10 years now and we can talk about it? Hugs Bob.
    You get engaged and set a date and I could be enticed. I may never see North Carolina again.

All the Best

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Quote Originally Posted by robertbank View Post
    You get engaged and set a date and I could be enticed. I may never see North Carolina again.

All the Best

Bob
    Easy brother, I am way too immature to get married. I could lie to you about it though, or bribe you wheel weights.

Wheelweights would work.

Take Care

Bob

Vendor Sponsor

Oh we could get him hooked on some of that North Carolina livermush! There are a few things that no other place has, livermush is one of them. If you grew up with it, you will forever miss it no matter where your road leads..
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    Oh we could get him hooked on some of that North Carolina livermush! There are a few things that no other place has, livermush is one of them. If you grew up with it, you will forever miss it no matter where your road leads..
    You have a very valid point but I am parshall to potted meat myself.

Banned

another big fan of the 10mm. Now if colt would just make me one comander sized id have to open my wallet