Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Wideners Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Muffin Trays for Ingot Mold

Boolit Master
    I have used the Stainless Steel Sauce cups available at Sam’s 12 for $4-5 but mostly I cut the tops out of pop cans rinse out what is left turn upside down.
    Make sure to let these dry or you WILL have a visit from the Tinsel Fairy
    I bought some muffin pans at the local DAV but I had to tear off the metal from the lead to get them out.
    NRA Life Member

Super Moderator

I just spray the muffin tins with Frankfort arsenal mold release. I think it's just a graphite, but it works well. No sticking.

Boolit Grand Master

Wilton is the only company that makes Aluminum muffin pans, non-coated, just plain aluminum. You will not find them in the baking section a wally mart. Go to the special birthday cake and party section....that's where they live at wally mart . If you don't look there you will not find them.
    They make 12 and 24 count mini-muffin pans, regular and jumbo muffin pans ALL IN STAMPED ALUMINUM non-coated. Go to Wilton's web site store, if wally mart doesn't carry exactly the one you want order them straight from Wilton. I have a 12 count mini-muffin and picked up a 24 count mini-muffin two weeks ago just because it was on the shelf. The alumn. pans work like an alumn. mould...no stick , no release agent needed! They just hide in a strange part of the store. I found them because my wife, who makes the kids birthday cakes, knew exactly where they hide them.

Gary

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by 30yrcaster View Post
    Found out my buddy has a turkey fryer we can use to smelt ingots. We got 4 RCBS/Lyman ingot molds but our 50# pot could handle more. Looked at Walmart at the 24 cnt muffin trays but all of them are non-stick. Will a non-stick tray contaminate the lead or cause any other problems? Is the 24 cnt trays the ones that produce the 1.1# ingots?
    Thanks
    Personally, I'd skip the muffin tins, muffin ingots don't stack well or package for shipping well. Just think if you could get a ingot mold to make 2lb rectangular ingots that will fit tightly in a small flat rate box ? Ingots with the castboolits name in them ?
    It sounds like he is making them again
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...=1#post2707049
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

It is much easier to fool people ,
    than to convince them they have been fooled !

If you can read this , thank a teacher ...
    If you can read this in English , .. thank a Vet !

I've gotten my best "molds" at garage sales.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    Non-stick isn't an issue if it's teflon coated. The ones that are shiny are tin coated. Tin and lead.....well it's called a solder joint. I use ones made by Wilton. Each ingot will weight close to 4.5#s if I fill them completely. I have done this and the pan holds up just fine. You guys must be using some junk pans of they're folding up on you. I only pour them to 3.5#s and these pans have done close to a ton at this point.
    I use those same Wilton molds, amount others, for larger jobs. They worked well. Mostly I like cast iron though. I've come to really like the corn molds, they can be found used cheaply if the seller doesn't think they folk artsy gold. They are not something you can usually go down to the store and just find when you need them though. They need to be watched for and accumulated.

I prefer the 1# ingot size or corn mold size for casting ingots or blended alloys. The Lee, RCBS or Lyman ones can be found at some LGS, or Cabelas. The Lee one fills up to quick though for smelting.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by ShooterAZ View Post
    I just spray the muffin tins with Frankfort arsenal mold release. I think it's just a graphite, but it works well. No sticking.
    I use this on my ingot molds too. I had some and stopped using it on mold bullet molds, and put it to good use. Also prevents them from rusting.

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    Personally, I'd skip the muffin tins, muffin ingots don't stack well or package for shipping well.....
    By muffin tin did you mean cupcake style rather than the square ones? Round and tapered shape is not ideal in that regard. I'm using for "special" scrap such as tin, hard shot, etc. so the shape will give me a clue that these are special. Still looking for the what I will use to do bulk COWW ingots. But frankly they store in the buckets as well or better than they would on a shelf.

I use the mini muffin trays. The smaller ingots works great for the Lee 10 lb pot

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
    By muffin tin did you mean cupcake style rather than the square ones? Round and tapered shape is not ideal in that regard. I'm using for "special" scrap such as tin, hard shot, etc. so the shape will give me a clue that these are special. Still looking for the what I will use to do bulk COWW ingots. But frankly they store in the buckets as well or better than they would on a shelf.
    that is my own opinion. everyone can do as they please.

I stack them on small "pallets" about 50 to 60 lbs. Then these pallets are stacked in various locations...below is one of my trash cans with over 600 lbs of COWW.

I use part of a 'used' USPS med flat rate box, with a pc of 1/4" plywood (scrap from a jobsite) in the bottom for support.

This makes moving them a little less daunting of a task. Yes I have some muffin and various shapes ingots that I've got from other members from trading and such. Yep they all melt the same in my Lee furnace...They are stored in 5 gallon buckets to the half full mark...it works, just not as space reducing as the pallets.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”

Boolit Buddy

You've got 400 lbs of lead and 4 ingot moulds? I've got about 400 lbs of rough lead in my garage and 1 ingot mould. Now I could use another ingot mould. But if I had 4 moulds... I guess I fail to see your problem. What's your hurry?

That's JMHO. Carry on.
    Last edited by Jayhawkhuntclub; 04-05-2014 at 03:52 PM.

Non-stick isn't an issue if it's teflon coated. The ones that are shiny are tin coated. Tin and lead.....well it's called a solder joint. I use ones made by Wilton. Each ingot will weight close to 4.5#s if I fill them completely. I have done this and the pan holds up just fine. You guys must be using some junk pans of they're folding up on you. I only pour them to 3.5#s and these pans have done close to a ton at this point.

You want them rusted as it helps the release.
    I use the same pans! I recommend them to anyone.

Boolit Grand Master

I don't understand the "they don't stack well" position. They stack just fine.

W/ the pan I use you can stagger the molds. One up, one down and they lock in place. It's not perfect but the stacks are completely stable. And how many people stack them out in the open w/ no support?

It really is a matter of opinion. But if you have a large quantity if lead the one pound ingots make for a long day. Even if you have multiple molds.

As far as mold release on an ingot mold. It's just throwing money away. Something is wrong if the lead is sticking. And using it as a rust preventative is just silly. You want the molds to have some rust on them. It insures that they will release. I intentionally filled mine up w/ water and left them outside for a day or two after burning off the coating. They've worked perfectly from the first pour.

I use 6 hole cupcake pans because that's what I had. They were outside in my scrap pile stacked together so the one is rusty and the other is not. I gave the rusty one a coat of cheap gloss black spray paint and they both work the same, tip them on the side and the ingots fall out.

Boolit Buddy
    Found a 6 hole aluminum muffin pan that works well they just fall out. Only thing is it wants to bend sometimes and they dont stack well but it was cheap. Think I will just buy more lee molds for better stacking.

Moderator Emeritus

I don't understand the "they don't stack well" position. They stack just fine.
    I am only responding because I was the only one commenting that Muffin ingots "they don't stack well". In my mind, cupcake or Muffin, are the same shape...Round. That is surely all me and my narrow upbringing...that's what my Mom made and I can even take this one step farther, until I joined this forum, I always wondered that the heck people used the corncob shaped cast iron pans for...because, on the rare occasion when my Mom made cornbread, it was always in a "medium" sized loaf pan and it was sliced like regular bread as was banana bread and Zucchini bread.

Your photo shows that your rectangular ingots stack quite well and before this thread, I have never seen a square Muffin or square muffin pan, but I haven't been looking for them either, because this bachelor isn't a baker
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Boolit Grand Master

Those little rectangular ingots are made with Wilton's mini- loaf pans, 8 count. I wasn't aware stacking was an issue but the mini loafs sure do stack well. The Wilton mini-muffin pans are the ones I have been using for years , cheap- at wally mart , they worked well, I liked the size and I never gave the storage aspect any thought. Actually the mini-loaf pans seem to be better for stacking. I'm going to see if I can get a couple.....Thanks for posting photo of them.