Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionLoad DataRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingInline FabricationRepackbox
Wideners Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My first batch. Not bad, pretty sure Ive got some keepers.

Boolit Bub

My first batch. Not bad, pretty sure Ive got some keepers.

Well after two weeks of smelting down 540lb of wheel weights, I finally started the actual casting. Took 20+ fills to get my first usable bullets. I knew it would take a lot of trial error since its my first time casting. Im using a Lee 4-20 bottom pour. It definitely takes some finesse to get them looking good.

Already made a batch of 45/45/10 lube. Probably gonna lube tomorrow, load the next day and test some un-sized rounds. They came came out between .401-4.015 and 179-179.5gr. I shouldn't say ALL, but all the random ones I tested were within those specs. Using the Lee 6-cavity 401-175-TC.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0105.jpg 
Views:	340 
Size:	46.0 KB 
ID:	100972

In Remembrance

Looking good. Let us know how they shoot.

Boolit Master

Welcome aboard. You are now officially hooked.
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Nicely done!
    Now get out there and set them out.

Boolit Master

good job! You'll be at the end of that 540 lbs in no time.
    keep us posted on results
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Banned

give them a week of sitting around if you can, then you'll have a better grasp on how they'll do long term.

Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the madness! Not bad looking, my first batch after getting back into it had about half recycled back into the pot.

Boolit Grand Master

Beautiful for the first time. You are obviously a perfectionist! That is a good trait in this hobby (obsession). I know, you want to shoot them immediately, and some of them you will. Set some aside and let them harden. Get your casting ahead of your shooting and you are good to go.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Bub
    Very nice! .40 Cal. is next on my list. Will be interested to see how they work out for you.

Boolit Grand Master

It's hopeless now, you're an addict! I do agree with the above about letting them age up for a week.
    Charter Member #148

Good looking bunch of boolits.....now it's time to have some fun with em!

Banned

Don't forget to lube them twice. Once before you size then again after. I'll second the leave them sit for at least a week or two even.

Boolit Master

Casting for the first time is like, IMHO, fly tying. Your fly might just look like a fuzz ball and unravel to bare hook in three casts, but its yours damn it! LOL

Lefty
    I'll be needing that for squirrels and such.....

Boolit Bub
    Thanks for all the replies. Oh yeah they will be sitting for atleast a week before I shoot them. With 4 kids I have to plan my shooting time in the "family calendar". Probably gonna work on making some .44 cal bullets today.

Banned

You want to let them sit before you size them.

Those look really good! The mold you're using appears to be a non tumble lube mold but you mentioned using a tumble lube for them. Will the 45/45/10 work well for those? I've cast some 9mm but haven't decided on a lubing method (leaning towards 45/45/10 for TL and powder coating for traditional groove).

Boolit Bub
    From what I've read the 45/45/10 should work fine with non-TL moulds. Please correct if I'm wrong before I lube these.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudwraith View Post
    Those look really good! The mold you're using appears to be a non tumble lube mold but you mentioned using a tumble lube for them. Will the 45/45/10 work well for those? I've cast some 9mm but haven't decided on a lubing method (leaning towards 45/45/10 for TL and powder coating for traditional groove).
    45-45-10 should work as straight LLA does. My understanding about PC is that TL boolits are preferred but I use a Star for all my boolits except TL ones. These are lubed using 45-45-10.

IMHO the most common problem with boolits in 9mmP and .40S&W is the sizing down by the case. To eliminate this I use a custom PTX to open up the brass while reloading.

To the OP: The boolits you cast appear to be just fine.
    Liberalism is the triumph of emotion over intellect, but masquerading as the reverse.

I don't know how we ever shot maximum loads before P/C come along and saved us all. R5R

"No mosque in the United States flies an American flag."

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloudwraith View Post
    You can easily Tumble Lube (TL) a regular lube groove boolit. Much of the time it will shoot just fine for mild handgun applications, or even medium rifle.

For example I've had good results shooting a Lee C429-240SWC HP in 44 special, (7 grains of Unique) and 44 magnum both pistol and carbine (Over 10 grains of Unique) Without using a gas check, and tumble lubed in Alox or 45-45-10.

Tumble lubes are often considered a somewhat marginal lube system for many applications, but many times it can work surprisingly well.

I have shot quite a few regular lube groove design boolits tumble lubed in Lee Liquid Alox (LLA) or Recluse's 45-45-10 mix. (45% Alox - 45% Johnson's Paste Wax - 10% Mineral Spirits)

Here's a few non TL boolits I have fired successfully using tumble lubes:

Lyman 358311, Lyman 356402, Lee 358-105 SWC, Lee 358-125-RF, Lee 358-148 WC, Lee 358-158-RF, Lee 401-175-TC. Lee C429-240SWC (w/out gas check), Lee 430-310-RF (checked) and Lee 452-235-RF.

- Bullwolf

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    You said it took you 20 pours to start getting usable boolits? Try pre-heating your mold(s) on an electric hotplate! No need wasting time using molten lead and remelting it. Sit your mold on the plate when you turn your pot on and by the time your are cooking soup, your molt will be hot.

Using this method, I usually drop perfect boolits on the 1st pour. Takes some of the frustration out of casting.

Give it a try.....and welcome to the madness!

bangerjim