Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2RepackboxSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Wideners Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 32 S&W Favorite

Boolit Master

32 S&W Favorite

I received a Favorite through a trade that was in pretty decent condition overall. The barrel was chambered for 32 Shot Rimfire and is pretty much a sewer pipe. I saved all of the original parts, made a new centerfire breech block, rebarrel it with a barrel that was collecting dust which I chambered for 32 S&W (Short). I'm nearly done with the rifle but am having so much fun with it I had to show someone what a cute little rifle it is. Here it is:

Edd
    Charter member Michigan liars club!

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in Government." -- Thomas Jefferson

"Consider the clown(s) just one of God's little nettles in the woods, don't let it detract from the beauty. Sooner or latter you are going to run into the nettles regardless of how careful you are."

Beware of man who types much, but says nothing.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Lovely! How much does it weigh? What sort of groups do you get at "BWD?" ( 50-foot to 25 yard Bunny Wabbit Distance).

Perma-Banned

I have been wanting to do the same thing to one I have but just have not gotten to it. Who did the breech block for you?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    Lovely! How much does it weigh? What sort of groups do you get at "BWD?" ( 50-foot to 25 yard Bunny Wabbit Distance).
    It weighs a whopping 3.59#. I haven't shot it for group yet, but I plan to in the next few days as spring is trying very hard to give us some warmer days in the near future. I can tell you I am having no problem hitting a soda can at 50 yards though.

Edd

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in Government." -- Thomas Jefferson

"Consider the clown(s) just one of God's little nettles in the woods, don't let it detract from the beauty. Sooner or latter you are going to run into the nettles regardless of how careful you are."

HONCHO EMERITUS

Neat, can't wait to see it in person!
    -Matt
    Group Buys Honcho'd: C326-175-FN, 434-210-RF, C434-210-RF, 30-165-SIL-MOD, 358156-PB, 413-170-Keith, C348-225-FN, 8mm SIL, 45-230-CM, 45-270-Ohaus/SWC, Edd's 28-170-FN

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by John Allen View Post
    I have been wanting to do the same thing to one I have but just have not gotten to it. Who did the breech block for you?
    I made the breech block. I didn't want to mess up the original and I left a couple areas square instead of rounded to make it apparent it is a conversion.

Edd

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    In my practiced opinion, I would surmise that reliable 50-yard can whacking equates to a serviceable small game rifle!

Banned
    I bet the guy that handed you that mess in a trade feels like he did the right thing......looking good mister.......cannot wait to try her out.

Boolit Buddy
    I assume you are rolling your own ammo. Care to tell us about your powder/primer/boolit/methods?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Kermit1945 View Post
    I assume you are rolling your own ammo. Care to tell us about your powder/primer/boolit/methods?
    I'm loading 1.2 grains Bullseye, under a BRP 78 grain bullet, with CCI SP primers. After a lot of looking through old manuals I'll try some other powders and a couple other bullets. This action is a fairly weak action so I'll be loading to factory ballistics or lower for pistols. I expect to try 700x, 231,RedDot, Unigue, and HP38.

Edd

Boolit Master
    What a dandy little rifle! Envious here.

I am curious, why not chamber for 32 long which would be more readily available and could still use 32 short? And I agree with posts that you have a neat rifle here.
    "Time wounds all heels." Well, maybe not, but it helps me to think so rather than responding to bad actors.

California. Where absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good.
    Oh Edd,
    How you can make us drool. Sweet piece with a very interesting tang sight. PM coming at you.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas View Post
    I am curious, why not chamber for 32 long which would be more readily available and could still use 32 short? And I agree with posts that you have a neat rifle here.
    Like I said earlier, the Favorite action isn't a hearty action so I went with a cartridge that will be safe in factory ammo. The operating pressure on the 32 S&W is somewhat lower than the pressures for the 32 S&W Long/32 Long Colt N.P. The 32 S&W was developed in 1870 while the 32 S&W long was developed in about 1905. The 32 S&W brass isn't that hard to find and will last a long time so it isn't a matter of constantly replenishing the brass. Lastly, one can make 32 S&W from the 32 Long brass if necessary. Everything was done considering the fact that the gun will in all likelihood be around long after I am gone and will no longer have control of the events concerning the rifle.

Edd

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by helice View Post
    Oh Edd,
    How you can make us drool. Sweet piece with a very interesting tang sight. PM coming at you.
    Thanks Karl. I'll give you a call soon and tell you the "rest of the story."

Edd

Boolit Master

What makes the Favorite's falling block a weak action?

Thanks, Badgeredd for your explanation on the cartridge choice. Makes really good sense. Given your other work on the rifle, who should expect anything else.

Nick
    "Time wounds all heels." Well, maybe not, but it helps me to think so rather than responding to bad actors.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeym1a View Post
    What makes the Favorite's falling block a weak action?
    Mainly that it is not a falling block, but more of a swinging or pivoting block. There is a bit more to it than that, but I don't have my copy of "Single Shot rifles and Actions" handy.

Robert

Boolit Master

Just looked it up. A swinging block. Nice looking rifle, but.................

California. Where absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good.
    Edd,
    What is the barrel length on your 32 S&W. Rifles with short actions can make a barrel seem shorter than it is.