Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Load DataTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Wideners
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pouring your lead, Bottom pour, Laddle pour or custom set up

Boolit Grand Master

My big Lyman 2-cavs seem to prefer ladle pours, Lee 6-cav's and other 5-6 cavs seem to prefer bottom pour. Smaller 2-cavs seem to do OK with bottom pour.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Moderator Emeritus
    I do both depending on what I need and the boolit/mould and its application.

Generally speaking anything rifle over 8mm gets ladled as do boolits of any calibre for long range high velocity shooting. I use Lyman and Rowell's

Pistol calibre and low velocity rifle where volume is important then I bottom pour from a couple of RCBS Pro Melts.

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks

Boolit Buddy
    Bottom pour for me.. I use the Lee six cavity molds mostly and can drop bullets very fast with the bottom pour.
    Jim

"The problem with quotes on the internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." - Thomas Jefferson 1803

Boolit Master

Bottom pour here, too. Had to Lee-ment my 6-cavity molds but that doesn't take long compared to how much better they are when done
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Master

I've used both. It all depends. I prefer to ladle, as I feel I have greater control. but with big boolits, I used my lee bottom pour. I guess it all depends on what you like and what you are casting. Cheers!

Boolit Bub
    I use a Lyman bottom pour ladle. So far no issues with it. Have not decided I want to buy a bottom pour furnace yet or not. Seems the ladle is doing just fine!

Boolit Buddy
    I started with ladles around 40 years ago, and that's still my preferred method - even with a 4-cavity Lyman 457125. I have given bottom-pour several opportunities to sway me, but I have returned to my ladles every time.

Jim

I have always gotten better bullets with a ladle, especially on the bigger bullets.
    45 AUTO! Because having to shoot someone twice is just silly!

Boolit Master
    I do both depending on what I am casting.

For my 45-70 I have a Lyman SC 457122 HP with the Pin heater and a single cavity a bottom pour pot doen't make much sense and I have a 20 Lb Lyman dipper pot for that and other old style HP molds.

For my auto pistols I run two Lee 6 cav's per caliber using a pair of bottom pour pots rigged one over the other, the top one being a feeder pot. This works very well when I need a 1000 or so 9mm or 45 acp boolits.

It's as simple as what you need for the job at hand so I do both and enjoy casting both ways equally as well.

Boolit Master

Bottom pour only.

I use a ladle for making ingots during smelts of raw materials. I have zero desire to even try one for the actual casting. One more item added to the cycle of picking up and putting back down. The spigot handle on a bottom pour doesn't move. I like that.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullwolf View Post
    I often use a Palmer Hot Pot, Sometimes called an electric ladle.

It's inexpensive ($30 or so) and holds around 4 lbs of lead. I make special mini-ingots just for the convenient little Palmer HotPot.

I purchased it years ago as a small cheap electric pot to cast fishing sinkers with. I use it for many of my smaller casting sessions now. It has turned out to be a very convenient item.

- Bullwolf
    Cool, never saw one of these!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by singleshot View Post
    I have done both and don't mind either, however, bottom pour is faster and in theory will make more consistent boolits since it keeps all oxidized material out of your boolits...oxidized metal, being lighter, floats to the top.
    Have you measured boolits from each method to prove your theory?
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    I use a Lee production pot IV, I find it an efficient way to handle molten lead. I also think it is a safer way, as the lead is transferred straight into the mould and it eliminates any possible spillages from a ladle.
    ukrifleman

Quote Originally Posted by ukrifleman View Post
    I use a Lee production pot IV, I find it an efficient way to handle molten lead. I also think it is a safer way, as the lead is transferred straight into the mould and it eliminates any possible spillages from a ladle.
    ukrifleman
    Hmmm. What about when the bottom-pour pot dumps 20 pounds of lead on the bench?

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Lesson-learned

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by wildchild2010 View Post
    What seems to be the best for pouring lead for you? Bottom pour, paddle or your homemade set up?

I was wondering if an old electric fryer with a spicit drilled and tapped in the bottom with a ball cable for controlling the lead flow.
    I have been ladle pouring since I started about 15 years ago. Yes, I routinely pour my 462420 Group buy six cavity mold with my Lyman ladle. You need to realize that steel and iron float on molten lead so anything on the bottom of the pot cable controlled from the top won't work.
    Last edited by Wayne Smith; 03-24-2014 at 07:55 AM.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

My last casting before this afternoon was 40 years ago. So I guess you could consider me a newbie. I originally used a bottom pour electric pot (still have it and it still works) but today used a propane burner, cast iron pot and ladle to cast RCBS 45-255-SWC bullets and a few RCBS 500 grain BPS bullets for a 45/70. I was satisfied with the result and will do even better next time. The RCBS mould blocks are large and need to be hot to get a good bullet base. The ladle poured a larger flow than my old pot which helped keep them hot, especially for the 500 grain cavity. It was fun and a good learning experience.

Boolit Buddy
    I really like to use a ladle, but have had to switch over to a bottom pour. I have Parkinsons an it's getting harder to use the ladle. I have two ladles, one is a RCBS, but am unable to control the pour with it. I bought a gravy ladle which has a pour lip. For some reason that is easier for me to control kind of. I just do my BP pours with a ladle now. I do have the RCBS bottom pour with a PID that I got for it. It seems to do a really good job but it's not as much fun as using the ladle. I haven't been at this very long, don't have the experience that a lot of ya'll do.

Ghost101

Banned

I remember the good old days when this was the hottest argued topic on here.

Boolit Master
    I use a ladle...just the way I started and have seen no reason to change.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    I have 2 Lee 4-20 bottom pours and a 10# standard.

I bottom pour 90% and use the tiny one for the RCBS ladle or rare occasions.

You cannot beat bottom pours! And they REALLY pressure cast well....with 18# of molten lead pushing down on your little cavity!

banger