Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRepackboxLee Precision
Snyders JerkyLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Wideners
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Does anyone here use gloves to mitigate recoil?

Boolit Master

Well, I finally got to do some shooting today, and the gloves help a lot.

I can't say that my accuracy (offhand) is better or worse than without the gloves; it appeared the same, but the gun most certainly felt better in recoil, and I left (after shooting ~25 rounds of medium to hot loads) with no bruise on my support hand fingers like I normally get when shooting this one.

So far, so good.

Boolit Buddy
    I have always used gloves for shooting. Whatever the caliber from 22lr to .500 mag, it doesn't matter. Rifle an or pistol. I also seem to think it absorbs some of the body impulses the same as a target match shooting jacket does. I like deer skin work gloves that I buy at the local feed store. Soft an break in easy.

Ghost101

Boolit Master

I use gloves when I shoot my AR for any length of time, not so much to mitigate recoil, but to avoid those aggravating side and bottom rails.
    Gun control is not about guns.

Boolit Master

When ruger replaced my 44 hunter with a 44 SRH they came with the Houge rubber grips that have the soft jell insert that is inside the grip.
    It cushions right in the web between thumb and for finger. I can say without a doubt they do what they say they do. I highly recommend them. They are not a supper small grip but do very well on the SRH.
    Small hands may be a problem but I would look into them.
    Hate is like drinking poison and hoping the other man dies.

*Cohesiveness* *Leadership* *a common cause***

***In a gunfight your expected to be an active participant in your own rescue***

The effective range of an excuse is ZERO Meters

Boolit Master

I shot the .45 Bisley again today; about 60 rounds, all offhand, maybe 1/3 were really light loads, 1/2 were medium, and I think I shot 8 of my full-powered hunting loads.

They feel MUCH better with the gloves on. I don't like wearing gloves; they make my hands feel weird, but I shoot MUCH better with them. After taking them off I shot a couple more shots and the grips felt so....small.

Maybe a new set of grips would help as much as the gloves. Too bad that aftermarket Bisley grips aren't as common as other guns.

Boolit Master

I bought a set of Hogue grips for my .45 last week.

I took a measurement across the upper side of the factory grips, as an index measurement, and got 0.9" across both sides. Swapped the Hogue grips in and got 1.05" for the same measurement.

So the Hogue grips are a tad wider. Hopefully I'll get to shoot a bit this weekend and see if they help with recoil any.

Boolit Bub
    I wear weight lifting gloves when I shoot my 500...nobody says anything... other than DAAAAAMMMMNNNNNN WHAT THE HELL IS THAT???!?!?!?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qGz20-P6Eg

recoil.

Vendor Sponsor

I got some Hatch tactical police gloves, real nice leather, padding where most LEOs would want it, better for climbing fences, sliding down a rope, but for shooting I think I would rather have another PAST glove. I shot 15rds of Lee 300gr RF out of my birdshead Vaquero, I had to tape up my middle knuckle to keep the trigger guard from beating it, but it drew blood from the web of my thumb in the first 5 rds because I didn't bring the nice new tactical glove with me. More tape... Ugh..
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by sirsloop View Post
    I wear weight lifting gloves when I shoot my 500...nobody says anything... other than DAAAAAMMMMNNNNNN WHAT THE HELL IS THAT???!?!?!?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qGz20-P6Eg

recoil.

The indoor range where I shoot won't permit the shooting of my .500s there. I can't imagine why.

Gloves.

Boolit Grand Master
    I got some gloves at Harbor freight and cut the tips off the fingers. Helps when shooting a lot of .357. Even mid range loads can hurt from the sharp recoil.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ClemY View Post
    It is just that the grip is so small the glove helps my large hand get a better grip. I am saving the Bearcat for my grandson to learn on.
    I apolagise I opened by big mouth before thinking.

Boolit Master
    I have Carpal Tunnel ,Arthritis and other hand finger problems, so I do use gloves when shooting my big BOOMERS at the bench. Not for hunting un less it's cold. I have 2 pair, one a "NO NAME" pair and a pair of browning shooting gloves. One of my Drs. said that recoil impulses build in your hands and fingers that CAN cause problems later in life. Maybe I should wear gloves when hunting!