WidenersLoad DataRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why there are Reloading Manuals

Boolit Master

Why there are Reloading Manuals

I just got back from the range
    I wanted to make sure my new 223 reloads shot the same POA as last years
    3 shots just over 2" high at 100 yds in about 3/4" group....yep the gremlins didn't change anything

But the reason I am posting

As I was BSing with another member before leaving
    2 - 20 something guys set up to shoot a nice looking Remington 700 Varmit rifle in 243

First shot , it looked like bomb went off under the rifle
    The floor plate was blown out and the laminated stock was not looking the best
    The bolt would not rotate and looking into the bottom of the rifle at the bolt
    It looks almost like at least 1 of the bolt lugs is broken

Luckey the guy didn't have his hand close
    The other member and I talked to the 2 guys as they picked up
    That is after they tryed to rotate the bolt by hitting the bolt handle with a chunk of 2x4 ( no luck)

We found out Darwin award winner #1 was new to reloading
    He didn't have a manual
    But he did have his dads old press ,a few pounds of powder and a few sets of pistol dies

So he found a set of used 243 dies and a box of bullets and figured he could reload a lot cheaper than store bought ammo

So Darwin award winner figured out how to deprime , resize and put a new primer in the case ( rifle primer ??)

Then as he didn't have a reloading manual
    He just filled the cases with powder to just below the neck and seated the bullets

We ask what powder ....he said it was gray

And we wonder why some people get hurt shooting reloads !!!

And now the other member who is a Trustee is looking at the 2
    And seeing if they can remove thier range acess

Still shaking my head
    John
    Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
    And I carry a LOADED Hell Cat

HONCHO EMERITUS

Good post, John. This one should be required reading, especially for the touch screen phone generation. I'm sure he had one of those that he had big bucks invested in. Probably had spent a lot more $$ on apps than he would have spent for a book. $25.00 for a manual and a little reading would have went a long way here.

Glad nobody got hurt.
    -Matt
    Group Buys Honcho'd: C326-175-FN, 434-210-RF, C434-210-RF, 30-165-SIL-MOD, 358156-PB, 413-170-Keith, C348-225-FN, 8mm SIL, 45-230-CM, 45-270-Ohaus/SWC, Edd's 28-170-FN

Boolit Master

Man! I can't believe people actually do that kind of stuff. They must have never lit off a firecracker, bottle rocket or anything like that. Not to know what and how much powder to use is just crazy. Glad you weren't hurt. I hate ranges when someone else is around. I'm retired and find that weekdays are pretty good days to go shoot around here.
    ARMY Viet-Nam 70-71

Boolit Master
    For those two, the reloading manuals better have a lot of pictures.

smokeywolf
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Boolit Grand Master

These are the people that scare me. I see them to often at ranges. The fact that they exist and you run into them is a problem. This is why I say reloading is not for everyone. In this day and age you can find all the info you want about reloading w/out buying a manual. They are still indispensable and everyone should have a couple of them. But there is no excuse for not going online and finding load data. The manufacturers give it out for free so these situations don't happen.

They should be permanently banned from the range. They put other people's lives at risk. This is unacceptable.

In Remembrance
    One of the reasons I don't care much for ranges. When I started, I was just a kid, and knew nobody that reloaded. I didn't have a manual but bought a lee loader whackem style and used the instructions and dipper that came with it. These were probably low powered rounds as far as the 300 savage went, but suited my purposes and was way more affordable than factory ammo.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by starmac View Post
    One of the reasons I don't care much for ranges.
    +100, among other reasons. Too dang many Darwin award recipients running around. Our new range wanted me to be a RSO, and I declined for this very reason.

Vendor Sponsor

Actually I look at it from a totally different Light.. That was the perfect situation to befriend them and begin to teach the correct way to reload.. better they learn the right way to do things than either go somewhere else and repeat the problem with even worse results or totally turn them off of shooting/reloading..
    make an omelet out of broken eggs not throw them in the trash ..
    The more shooters we have (safely of course) the better our chances of turning the anti gun legislation around
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Banned

Lucky no one was hurt. Too bad about the ruined rifle.

Seems to me like there are two schools of thought to this; the "there's nothing to it" school and the "there's some kind of voodoo black magic to reloading, so I won't do it" school. I have known some guys who were very knowlegeable about guns and shooting who fell into this second category.

I just spent last week teaching my oldest son how to do it and he left with a good press, powder measure and manual among other things. I have a scale ready to send to him when he gets back home now too. He grew up around it, so he has an appreciation for it, he just never was all that interested in doing it back then. My Dad did the same thing for me. Too bad everybody doesn't have a mentor.

Boolit Master
    I want to scream read a manual every time there is a post need a load or what load to use. I will not give out load data. you hit the wrong key and don't catch it then what. the other thing about reloading. why do so many think they have to turn every caliber into a mag. ?

Banned

"I want to scream read a manual every time there is a post need a load or what load to use."

Agree, unless it is someone with a lot of experience and ability to work up loads and is seeking unpublished off the books data. Me, I stick with the book loads. For new reloaders, it should be "Read the Manual."
    Last edited by jmort; 03-18-2014 at 05:51 PM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke4320 View Post
    Actually I look at it from a totally different Light.. That was the perfect situation to befriend them and begin to teach the correct way to reload.. better they learn the right way to do things than either go somewhere else and repeat the problem with even worse results or totally turn them off of shooting/reloading..
    I had not thought on those lines
    But true
    Helping them to be safe reloaders would help

But I also see it as
    Some people don't give a darn to even try and learn BEFORE they start doing something that they should know can be dangerous if done wrong
    And the Done it wrong

John
    Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
    And I carry a LOADED Hell Cat

Boolit Master
    The more shooters we have (safely of course) the better our chances of turning the anti gun legislation around
    I agree with your assertion that they should learn the right way from a friendly and willing mentor. Problem is, these guys have already demonstrated that they lack the common sense necessary to absorb and use the information required to safely reload. These are the kind of people who don't understand why they should have to wash their hands after they do their bathroom business or think think that when they have a flat tire it's not that bad cuz it's only flat on the bottom.

smokeywolf
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Vendor Sponsor

you can lead the horse, you can hit him over the head .. buts its up to him to drink..

I would still rather try to teach them and hope they take me up on it .. if they don't its on them .. if they do you will create a shooter for life and if he teaches someone else it just goes on and on...
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Master
    Two things just happened at the indoor range that I used to go to, but stopped years ago because they don't allow reloads. Their excuse was that reloads were too dangerous.

1) They started a free senior night on Tuesdays for 60+ yr olds (I am 60)
    2) Since bullets are scarce, they are allowing reloads (even with cast boolits)

I'm kinda glad they have bullet (blast?) proof glass panels between each station
    Plata o plomo?
    Plomo, por favor!

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    As once said: "Let them blow up........and decrease the surplus population!!!!!!!

banger

Boolit Buddy
    Some people will also hop on a motorcycle and roll the wrist without thinking about the implications of only 2 wheels and no body panels around them. Some figure it out without being maimed, some aren't so lucky. Could be the same mindset at work...

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by smokeywolf View Post
    I agree with your assertion that they should learn the right way from a friendly and willing mentor. Problem is, these guys have already demonstrated that they lack the common sense necessary to absorb and use the information required to safely reload. These are the kind of people who don't understand why they should have to wash their hands after they do their bathroom business or think think that when they have a flat tire it's not that bad cuz it's only flat on the bottom.

smokeywolf
    This is exactly where I am at, some people are not worth the time and headache. These two are better off with cap guns the rest of their life.
    We need new people that shoots, but thinking everyone is suitable will hurt more than help. Not everyone should pick up a gun of any kind.

Banned
    With the relatively large numbers of new reloaders (NOT handloaders) that are starting out, due to price/scarcity of factory ammunition, this seems to becoming more and more common. Had an occurance on another board, a member was looking for data for the .25 Remington. Somebody responded by posting their favorite load for the .25/06. Get a manual, look at a manufacturer's website for data, or a trusted source. Don't guess.

Boolit Master

Where Pennsylvania, Delaware, and Maryland join.
    I'll bet a donut that since dad only had pistol dies the "grey powder" they used was some kind of pistol powder. They should be thankful it wasn't a caliber with a larger case capacity.
    Blacksmith

S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us!