Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersSnyders Jerky
Repackbox Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help with 45acp load

Boolit Master
    My Dillon die makes the loaded case look a little coke bottle =ish. With no crimp the slug will not push back into the case. I have actually, in the old days, used a slight roll crimp with success also. Something is not up to spec, dies bullets, but probably not the brass being too old. I'm still loading and shooting Korean war brass that has been loaded way over 10 times with 225gr. linotype round nose with 5 gr. Bullseye or 7 gr. Unique. Let us know when you get the answer. Rod

Boolit Master

The only reliable brass I have found in 45acp is TZZ military from Israel. I bought 10,000 of them years ago and still have most of them.
    Marty-hiding out in the hills.

Boolit Buddy
    I use hornady dies, same as you, I use brass off the range, some pretty crappy and have never had the issues you are. Must be something weird, why don't you use the crimp in the seating die?
    Hope for change.

Proper neck tension is due to proper case sizing and then expanding to suit the bullet. For soft bullets, I find .001-.002 interference is usually sufficient. Taper crimping is just to flatten out any case mouth flare to ensure the cartridge chambers.

+10

I had problems with a Lee die NOT sizing the brass down far enough got a dillion sizer and problem went away.

The taper crimp is used to remove the flair it is NOT to hold the boolit.

The case without any crimp should hold boolit so that it will not move in if you push against the side of work bench

look for larger boolits .452 or so or check that your sizer is hitting the shell plate and giving maximum sizing or get a new sizer

Banned

Didn't the Hornady dies in 45acp roll crimp instead of taper crimp? I think your sizing die is at fault here. If you can push them in before you expand them, then they are not being sized right. And you do not need to crimp them anyway. You just need to remove the belling. They headspace on the mouth of the case. If they don't because it is rolled in it is going to headspace on the extractor and that will mess up the extractor after a while. Call Hornady and tell them the FL die is not sizing the brass down enough and explain what is happening. It would not be the first time a die was sent with the wrong carbide insert.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bruce381 View Post
    Proper neck tension is due to proper case sizing and then expanding to suit the bullet. For soft bullets, I find .001-.002 interference is usually sufficient. Taper crimping is just to flatten out any case mouth flare to ensure the cartridge chambers.

+10

I had problems with a Lee die NOT sizing the brass down far enough got a dillion sizer and problem went away.

The taper crimp is used to remove the flair it is NOT to hold the boolit.

The case without any crimp should hold boolit so that it will not move in if you push against the side of work bench

look for larger boolits .452 or so or check that your sizer is hitting the shell plate and giving maximum sizing or get a new sizer
    I'm going to disagree with you just a little. I was always taught that taper crimp did two things. First it removes the flair and secondly it does help retain the bullet.
    I judge the taper crimp by filling the magazine after measuring the OAL of each round. I then fire several rounds and remove and check the OAL again. If the bullets don't move its fine and if they do I give it a little more crimp.

Banned
    check this

http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/showthread.php?t=76154

The taper crimp is where the case is pushed into the body of the bullet so tightly that it secures the bullet from moving. The case mouth is pushed by a tapered surface in the seating die or a separate crimp die into the bullet’s body. It can be applied to varying degrees dependent on how the die is adjusted but there must still be an exposed edge of the case standing proud of the bullet’s body. That edge is what the case headspaces on because in most of these cases there is no shoulder or rim on the case. Typical examples are all the semi-auto pistol calibers like 9mm and 45ACP, among many others.

Boolit Master
    I suspect the sizing die as well. Although I don't have any dillon running .45 currently, I have some spp that made it through inspection that were sized. I will do an outside mic of the case and get back to you. Stand by.
    Our house is protected by the Good Lord and a gun and you might meet them both if you show up here not welcome son!

Boolit Master
    I had a set of Hornady titatinim dies for the 45 colt that the sizer would not size the cases enough to hold the bullets and one could push the bullets into the case with thumb pressure. Second set of Hornady dies I've had with problems. I ate the cost of the 45 Colt dies and looked at it as a lesson that cost me the cost of the dies.
    Could be the problem with the 45 Auto dies.
    Now I have a Lee .430-310 mold that cast undersize and got the run around from Lee.
    Last edited by 44MAG#1; 02-26-2014 at 09:04 AM.

Boolit Mold
    Full length sizing of the case is the answer. After the case has been properly sized, only a light to moderate taper crimp need be applied. I do not know of any pistol die that actually sizes the entire length of the case, but some do a better job than others. I have Dillon, RCBS and one Redding 40 caliber sizing die specifically made undersized to address this situation. An easier solution is to get an EGW "U" sizing die. EGW starts with Lee undersized dies, then they machine off the bottom portion of the die to allow for more of a of the case to be full length sized. I use "U" dies in 40 caliber and 45 ACP. I tried one in 9mm, but due do the 9mm tapered case, I did not like the result.

Boolit Grand Master

I recently got a set of 45 Hornady Dies from a member here. I use a separate Lyman TC so I seat and crimp in 2 steps. I also have some Ranier on my bench. I have had no problem with seating and crimping to .468.

Unless Ranier has changed something I suspect another problem such as gunk in the sizing die causing variable sizing or gunk in the taper crimp die causing the same thing. If you are using the same stamped brass and the same bullets with the dies set the same something is odd.
    Make sure all of the brass is the same headstamp and measure it before and after sizing and see if there is a variation.
    Pull out 10 random bullets from the box and measure those.
    Check your seating die for gunk also and after seating but before crimping measure every round.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    I would bet money that it is the sizing die. Get a Lee carbide die and you will be okay.

Boolit Grand Master

I had a good friend of mine send me some 230gr lead RN boolits sized at .452 and are AC COWW. They seem to do just fine. I do have a habit of over crimping things. I think it is just left over from all my revolver shooting with stiff loads. I just have to say me and the ranier bullets just agree to disagree. Lesson learned. I sold them and hope the new owner is happy with them.

Quote Originally Posted by osteodoc08 View Post
    I'm ending the madness. Bullets for sale under swap and sell

Good call!

Jerry
    Buzzard's luck!! Can't kill nothin', nothin'll die!!

If nothing changes in your process loading round to round then it is the brass that is different case to case. I bet that the length of the cases varies and thus the crimp die works it different. ie. a little longer or shorter will result in a different crimp. QED

Banned
    I had exactly the same problem with both Rainier and Berry's bullets, and came to the same conclusion: now I use lead or Hornady jacketed bullets for .45 ACP, no plated.

In the lead, I crimp them a little tighter than jacketed, and I have trouble with bullets seating farther in if I chamber them more than about twice.

bhn22
    As was mentioned earlier, not all cases are created equal. Some, like Remington, have thin case walls, and don't crimp correctly at .470. I segregate my brass by headstamp, and reserve Remington (for example) for larger cast bullets. Some plated or jacketed bullets are .451 instead of .452, and that little difference can throw you off even more.

Just a little late responding to this.....A little outside of the box thinking here.
    Perhaps that brass is too soft.....like it got caught in a fire.
    Just my .02 worth

Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga View Post
    I'm going to disagree with you just a little. I was always taught that taper crimp did two things. First it removes the flair and secondly it does help retain the bullet.
    I judge the taper crimp by filling the magazine after measuring the OAL of each round. I then fire several rounds and remove and check the OAL again. If the bullets don't move its fine and if they do I give it a little more crimp.
    Disagre if you want a TAPPER crimp is only to take out the flare now a ROLL crimp will help hold the boolit from moving under recoil but again not to hold it.
    To make most accurate round the sizing must be correct to hold the boolit without a crimp a crimp is secondary

Boolit Grand Master

I bought a mic and mic'do the bullets. .45105 inch. No issues there. They seem to work fine with boolits at .452 inch. I will also buy a new sizing die and consider it something that I new better....

I was also taper crimping too much and literally swaging the bullet "shank" down. Love and learn.

Thanks everyone.