WidenersSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingLee Precision
RepackboxLoad DataInline FabricationRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Have you ever had to admit defeat?

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndAmendmentNut View Post
    Cast 22 boolits. This is where I had to admit defeat. Two different molds, a number of alloys and two different center fire 22 rifles. I admit defeat on this one and tip my hat to anyone that can get those tiny little lead boogers to fly straight.
    Amen to that. Even sold all my moulds and everything associated therewith. So what happens? Last month an uber-rare Stevens Model 108 (1894 predecessor to the Model 44) drops into my lap, and what's it chambered for? .22 WCF. The predecessor to the Hornet. Anybody got a mould that drops .228?
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    Amen to that. Even sold all my moulds and everything associated therewith. So what happens? Last month an uber-rare Stevens Model 108 (1894 predecessor to the Model 44) drops into my lap, and what's it chambered for? .22 WCF. The predecessor to the Hornet. Anybody got a mould that drops .228?
    I think you should send that rifle to me so you don't get frustrated. I will beagle my mold and get that beast shooting. If it old enough we don't even need to involve an FFL. What do you need for surety?

Tim

Boolit Master

I have a different "problem" of my own making. I purchased a business associate's Estate and quadrupled my arsenal, which was not small at the time. I am faced with too many toys all at one time, not that that by itself is a bad thing. I believe it may take the rest of my days to wring out accuracy in 6 new and different calibers across dozens of new pistols, revolvers, and long guns. So it has become a Fish or Cut Bait sort of daily question, which gun gets wrung out this day/week/month/year (in the interstitial spaces between my day job, family, and sleep) including new cases, powders, boolit moulds, reloading, range testing and the whole 9-yards. Then there are additional calibers that I want to own but have, in the "short run", been diverted from purchasing and the process repeats...what a hobby!
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Buddy
    Land owner since I too am a Floridian, you could just hire me to work out loads in all your new arsenal. I could retire from my current job and while it would be a lengthy endeavor, I could get all your new found irons shooting their best. It would be a sacrifice but it would be for a good cause!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Flinchbaugh View Post
    Have you ran across a rifle you just couldn't get to perform the way you think it should?
    Or am I just not able to wring this one out with my current abilities?
    When do you admit defeat and move on?
    I've got 4 rifles that shoot cast great,
    I have a 7mm-08 Handi rifle I'm about to turn into a tomato stake.
    Victory or defeat depends on what your goals are. My goal has been to get any rifle to shoot cast bullets as well, but not necessarily at the same velocity, as jacketed bullets. With that as my goal, I have never been defeated. Set some higher goal and I might be defeated.

Rifles are individuals and are not the same, even of the same caliber. One must consider the twist of the rifling, the interior smoothness of the bore, the specs of the chamber and so forth. While each of these need to be considered, each of them can be dealt with.

One of the big problems I have noticed about this board is folks tend to do an information dump on folks with issues and mention every possible issue that might comes up without consideration of the relative importance of each. This makes it difficult for folks to sort through it and chart a linear course to success.

This stuff isn't near as hard as some folks make it appear.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Quote Originally Posted by Land Owner View Post
    I have a different "problem" of my own making. I purchased a business associate's Estate and quadrupled my arsenal, which was not small at the time. I am faced with too many toys all at one time, not that that by itself is a bad thing. I believe it may take the rest of my days to wring out accuracy in 6 new and different calibers across dozens of new pistols, revolvers, and long guns. So it has become a Fish or Cut Bait sort of daily question, which gun gets wrung out this day/week/month/year (in the interstitial spaces between my day job, family, and sleep) including new cases, powders, boolit moulds, reloading, range testing and the whole 9-yards. Then there are additional calibers that I want to own but have, in the "short run", been diverted from purchasing and the process repeats...what a hobby!
    You don't have a time problem or a shooting problem, you have an addiction problem. However it is common to folks on this board. With time, you will learn to set priorities and concentrate on the few firearms that truly interest you. Guns are like women, sooner or later you will have to make a choice as trying to have them all, leads to a bad end.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by bobthenailer View Post
    I was defeated with 2 contender barrels with cast boolets one was a 32/20 .308 bore the other was a 7mm TCU. i tried at least 2 boolets in each with many different powders and different boolet sizing dia, accuracy was mediocer but both shot jacketed bullets excellent.
    Conversly all the cast boolets i tried in both calibers shoot excellent in my XP-100 in 7mm IHMSA and RPM XL in 30/20
    Yep, the throats in T/C barrels aren't called Linda Lovelace throats for nothing. T/C intentionally deep throats them to decrease pressure on the Contender frame, that may be a good thing but it does present problems trying to get cast to shoot well with that huge jump to the rifling. The XP and the XL both shoot the same calibers well because of a normal throat.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    ...you have an addiction problem...to have them all, leads to a bad end.
    Oh yeah! I have an addiction alright. It is the Best of times. It is the Worst of times. Don't feel badly for me. I am just wallowing in my own self pity. I should take advantage of 308w. Think he would "work for lead"?

I'm fairly new to casting and reloading for that matter, but have you ever tried playing with Cartridge Overall Length (COL) on your cast loads for that 7mm-08? I wrestled with my Model 43 Win 22 Hornet for a while with a 34 grain Jacketed HP I bought (because of the price for 500) that would not group well, although it did shoot other, heavier jacketed bullets well. I finally started playing with the COL on it and found I could get it to shoot under 1" groups at 100yds by going from 1.725" to 1.80". I couldn't load them in the mag anymore, because of the length, but I shoot groundhogs with it so no biggie. Maybe take your best "bad load" and give it a try to see if it improves at all.

Boolit Master
    I never thought I would end up with a gun that would not shoot, but I am about ready to admit defeat and rebarrel an old '95 Winchester. It just refuses to shoot anything for some reason. Slow, fast; jacketed, cast; light or heavy bullets. It refuse to budge from its blunderbuss patterns.

Quote Originally Posted by Land Owner View Post
    Oh yeah! I have an addiction alright. It is the Best of times. It is the Worst of times. Don't feel badly for me. I am just wallowing in my own self pity. I should take advantage of 308w. Think he would "work for lead"?
    I don't feel badly for you as I am a recovering gunaholic myself.

I have had a life long preference for 30 caliber rifles because in my salad years, the army used the 30-06 and the cowboys used the 30-30 and that was all I needed to know. I strongly lean toward the 30-30, 30-40, 308W and the 30-06. I do have other calibers, but seldom shoot them anymore.

I have four 308s, two Winchester 88 leverguns, one Savage boltgun and a Remington 700 VS. They all do very well with cast bullet. All have 1-12 twist barrels, save the Savage who has a 1-10 twist. The only negative on the 308 Win. is the short case neck which limits the number of bullet designs that work well in it. But that are some that do very well such as the RCBS 165 Sil.

I tend to prefer the 30-06 over the 308 Win not because the round is superior, but I just like some of the rifles chambered for that round (1903, 1903A3, 1917, Garand and so forth)

Boolit Master
    Well, my method has been to play with it, try stuff, and when the frustration takes over, hang it up for a while.
    Then, if I read something here I havent thought of or tried, I take it down and try it.
    I am giving serious thought to finding a 357 barrel and having it reamed to 356 Winchester.
    I like the 358Win, but I like a rimmed cartridge for single shots, and the brass thickness of the 356 is
    a little thicker, making the inside case capacity a touch more cast friendly

Boolit Buddy
    Land owner that just might be a good deal on my end, lol!!!

Boolit Master

My 223 Remington shot in the Super 14" and Super 16" Contender barrels...

Forget it, forget it, forget it...

But both of those barrels will shoot Hornady V-max like there is no tomorrow...

No tomato stake of them--But no cast boolits either...

Good-luck...BCB

Statesville, North Carolina...too close to Charlotte
    Yep, been down this road too. My curse was a Savage 110 in .243 Winchester. I spent several months trying to get it to shoot consistently. One day it would punch 1/2" groups, the next day groups would open up to 3-4" with same load, same rest, same range, etc. No reason for the dispersion that I could ever find.

When I finally gave up on the little bugger, I wrapped a $20 bill around the barrel before heaving it out the window of my truck. I figured if someone found the gun beside the road, at least it would have something worth picking up.
    "Ignorance is the parent of fear."-Herman Melville

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by CWME View Post
    I have a 22 hornet Handi that I can't get to shoot. Gave up, it was becoming a chore to load and test for it. I was not having fun anymore and so I moved on.
    The .22 Hornet has been one of the most finicky calibers I have ever loaded for. Worked with 2 different Hornets and they were like a woman with PMS.

I think the long slopping shoulder adds to the hassle. I did find pistol primers really helped grouping. One Hornet was a Ruger heavy barrel bolt action. It wouldn't shoot until I made a shim and put between the two piece bolt to tighten up the slop. Then it was a tack driver. The other was a Savage that had a long chamber and a long throat. After I fireformed cases so the shoulder moved forward a bit, and seated boolits out long, it shot good. Headspacing with the rim didn't work well, but when I used the shoulder to headspace it was fine.

I would rather have a .22 K-Hornet if I had a choice.
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Boolit Master
    A H&R Buffalo Classic in 45-70. I think it will hold better than 2 moa. Problem is there isn't enough windage to get it on the paper beyond 40 yards. By the time I gave up, the warranty was well beyond void. It's been locked away for about five years. Maybe I'll try again some day...
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Master
    the first 3 shots I ever fired from my Buffalo Classic and I bought it used

Boolit Master

That right there looks like the epitome of defeat...

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    I had a Ruger number three that shot pretty well ... the problem was it refused to put the group in the same spot from one day to the next !! Not a good thing for an aledged woodchuck rifle .

It is someone elses problem now , life is to short to fight with some things .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter