Titan ReloadingLoad DataReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersRotoMetals2Inline FabricationLee Precision
Repackbox Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gas check almost killed my chrony!

Boolit Bub

Gas check almost killed my chrony!

I had only shot about 5 of my gc'd .223 boolits when I noticed this! One more inch to the right and it would have gone belly up. The dent is deeper than it looks. I think I am done casting and shooting 22 cal. Am not getting any accuracy or constant velocity and now this. I am now loading and shooting copper plated .224 39 gr. boolits that were made for .22 magnum. Much better accuracyClick image for larger version. 

Name:	003c.jpg 
Views:	323 
Size:	37.4 KB 
ID:	98825

i worry about that too. was it copper or alum? how well did it crimp on?

Boolit Bub
    Copper, good solid crimp. Funny thing is I never heard of this before but the night before I went to the range I read a post about this same thing. I don't have a remote read out for my chrony so a shield in front won't work for me. The week before I shot about 50 gc'd 22's but didn't have a problem. Maybe more of them are coming off and I don't realize it. Scary thought.

I'd be seriously worried about those checks coming off. Have you checked the bullet profile compared to one seated in the case? Is the check in the middle of the neck or is it near the bottom where it starts to flare out? If the bullet isn't being pushed down the barrel by the gas pushing against the check, the check is just going for the ride.

Maybe you should shoot a bunch of those bullets with a big target at about 20 feet to see if you are getting more holes in the target than shots.

Grouchy Old Curmudgeon

There are two kinds of shooters...those who have shot a chrono and those that will. If you don't have a shield protecting it...my advice....borrow a friends and practice your blank stare...lol.

I think there is something prophetic in that picture.. Does anyone else see a guy standing with engineer boots on?
    Oh great, another thread that makes me spend money.

Boolit Grand Master

I had a Chrony with the display like the OPers. I also had a plexiglass shield that I taped over the front but one day I forgot it and that is the day the 22 cal GC went thru the display. Cost me $60 to exchange it to Chrony for one with the display on the bench.
    I have had very good results with 22 cal boolits with the best accuracy being around 2,200 fps to about 2,700 fps. I have shot the 50gt Bator to 3,619fps.

Quote Originally Posted by pmer View Post
    I think there is something prophetic in that picture.. Does anyone else see a guy standing with engineer boots on?
    Looks like sweats and Nikes to me......

Or, looking a little higher up, an Edvard Munch lookalike?
    Last edited by uscra112; 03-06-2014 at 10:20 PM.
    Cognitive Dissident

I always put a drop of super glue on the gas check before I seat them.

Key
    "Hatred is the cowards answer for being intimidated"

Boolit Buddy
    i made a wood box to set my chrony in for that very reason

Capt., what was the distance to your Chrono?
    Sorry for your lost equipment!

“A liberal’s paradise would be a place where everybody has guaranteed employment, free comprehensive healthcare, free education, free food, free housing, free clothing, free utilities, and only law enforcement has guns. And believe it or not, such a place does indeed already exist: It's called Prison."

--- Sheriff Joe Arpaio, Maricopa County, Arizona

Doesn't matter crimp, copper, glue , aluminum, when its time...... its time.......... I am still afraid to shoot thru mine with a gas checked boolit. I have a chrony, and its dented from the gas seals I use in my 12ga slug loads. I saw it once and stopped.
    Is it chicken? or cheap?

Anyone have any reasonable ideas for guards?
    Pete

Boolit Buddy

Another chrono shooter here. A Pro-Chrono Digital. Took out the display with a 6.5mm GC. Company fixed me all up for around $30+$15 or so for a clear plastic shield. I really like my chrono.....hope I don't shoot it again!

Boolit Master

I've had a Model 33 Oehler since 1983. I have only shot it three times. It has remote screens. But the screens aren't cheap. I ended up building a 2x4 shield for them. It is much safer now. But it is still possible to shoot it. My problem wasn't the boolits it was the shotgun wad, gas checks, muzzleloader sabots, and the various other things I wanted to measure the speed on.

Heck, I have shot mine 4 or 5 times so far (no gc's yet that I know of). None have been fatal yet, and that wasn't with a gc. Haven't even had to send it back. I do however have the display at the bench tho. One of these day I won't be so lucky but she has served me well. Some of the days when all I get is E1 or E2 or just a blank screen that O on the front starts to look more and more like a bulls-eye.

I wouldn't give up on it yet. On the bright side it seems that you have found the reason for your inaccuracy. I have had good luck with both aluminum and copper gas checks from the 223's and a 22-250. Oddly enough the ar's that I have shot the cast better than my m77 or atleast I found the load for them quicker.

Jerry Jr.
    You can't buy experience, but you'll pay for it.

.... but what do I know, I'm just a dumb farmer. ~ My Dad.

NRA LIFE MEMBER Upgraded to Endowment Member 5-23-14

This was the result of the sabot coming out and making a hard right turn just outside the muzzle of my Optima Pro muzzleloader. The bullet was on target, but the sabot took out a skyscreen rod. Notice the material (thanks to the local Chinese restaurant for the chopsticks). I've found that the replacements don't need the thread wrap, just superglue and clamp.
    Attachment 98927

Boolit Master
    shotgun slug wad took mine out.

Boolit Grand Master

Check the local home supply stores or hardware stores, You want lexan not plexiglass. A piece of 1/2" lexan will stop wads and gas checks is clear and can be bent and formed into the shape desired. Lexan is stronger than the standard plexiglasses.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by wistlepig1 View Post
    Capt., what was the distance to your Chrono?
    Sorry for your lost equipment!
    Ten feet luckily it was not destroyed just disfigured. I use 1/8th" dowels for sky screen supports, have shot them out twice, now that I think about it I bet the gas checks did it.

I am still searching for accuracy, haven't given up totally on cast but right now it is not the priority. I am hoping to discover a .223 squirrel load that will shoot mos (minute of squirrel) at 75 yds.
    Last edited by Captain Capsize; 03-07-2014 at 11:09 PM. Reason: add info

In Remembrance

Sky-screens are designed to be expendable. I keep a few extra wire coat hangers and milk-jug plastic to replace them as needed. I use a 3/8 thick piece of clear Lexan taped in front of the display on my 20 year-old Chrony. I did this after powder granules sand blasted the face then an errant gas check took out Chrony #1. Former shooting buddy shot Chrony #2 right between the eyes--DRT. Step-son took out Chrony #3 with a 12 gauge that shot a lot lower than he thought. The Chrony folks never saw one so totally destroyed but made good on their half-price guarantee. I learned on #4 not to let others shoot through my Chronys. The Lexan is a bit dinged up but has survived unburned powder blasts, wayward gas checks, cloth patches from muzzle loaders and the occasional card wad.