Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2RepackboxInline Fabrication
Wideners Lee Precision
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Japchester 1892 45 Colt loads

Boolit Grand Master

Nice velocity using the 2400. I've got 1-1/2# of it on the shelf and may need to see how she runs with that.

[You'er sick!]

yep ... I know it !!!

Moderator Emeritus

Apply the "Taylor" formula to those results and you will be surprised just how potent the 45 is. I mostly hunt in brushy country now with 100yds being about as far as I can see any direction.
    Using a 255gr boolit in the 1400fps. range the gun will make good kills on anything I make a decent shot on.
    grit yer teeth an pull the trigger

Boolit Grand Master

Pleasant to shoot with 20gr of 2400? You should get a 460 Weatherby Mag and be done with it.

Exploding the Myth is actually Dissolving The Myth. I have it saved on my comp and got the name wrong. You might want to try some H110/W296 if you have it before settling in on 2400. Higher velocity without the sharp snap of recoil more of a push but that was my experience only. I am a big fan of H110 in all high velocity/power loads in Mags and it works well in the 45Colt also.
    Last edited by jonp; 03-02-2014 at 08:44 AM.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Pleasant to shoot with 20gr of 2400? You should get a 460 Weatherby Mag and be done with it.

I do shoot way more powerful rifles then this ... namely a 375 H&H and I also have a 458 win mag. but I download these for something a little more manageable.

remember that I have the 24 inch RIFLE ... not a short barreled 20 inch carbine nor the 16 inch trapper. I also have the leather lace up pad on the hind quarter for the length of pull over that snazzy crescent plate.

this rifle is very fun to shoot with these hot sounding loads but I will try the H110/W296 powder when I can locate some. the local folks are still fraid of the current gubberment and so are hoarding everything they can get their hands on ... know that everything up here is shipped in an extra fashion according to the procedure down there in America.

at any rate I do like the 2400 powder and till I find something else for a hunting load ... I will stick with the 20.5 grain load behind the 266 grain accurate boolit. seems like this would be a spiffy close range load in this dandy rifle.

the IMR4227 powder comes close to the same velocity and push of recoil ... I have not maxed out with it yet so I have some more experimentation to do with it so maybe the 4227 is a go to powder as well. the 1600 FPS is my goal with this rifle/load combo for hunting. I like the unique load of 8.5 grains for general plinking in the rifle as well as my Vaquero. nice pair of weapons to pack and play with.

where do I find the TAYLOR formula? I will do a search after I get this posted but help may need to be given this internet deficient hunt n peck computer genius.

edit ... found the Taylor formula ... my expectations outdo the 44 mag in the final equation. my little 45 colt with a 266 grain boolit going 1700 fps carry's a 29 in KO figure. this comes in over my old 270 loads by a bunch and hovers just below the 45-70 with a 350 grain boolit. not bad according to this formula.
    Last edited by bigted; 03-02-2014 at 05:34 PM.

went out to upgrade my data with the IMR 4227. my loads in my rifle ran 1350 FPS for the 301 grain LEE hollow base with 20.5 grains ... top end for the 300 grain boolits in 45 colt as I read it ... of the IMR 4227. which give a 26 on the Taylors formula ... 6 grade points higher then the 44 mag.

I also ran some fun loads with GOEX cartridge powder ... 40 grains powder ... 266 grain boolit lubed with SPG ... a federal match large pistol primer. this load runs 1100 FPS thru my rifle and gives a 21 grade on the Taylors formula which is still above the 44 mag numbers.

so yes I am surprised at the numbers in comparison with the normally accepted handgun hunting load with the 44 mag and 240 grain boolits. this will fill the bill better then I ever expected. even with the blackpowder loads ...[which by the way if you haven't tried them you should ... man they be fun!]... they develop the KO numbers that Taylors formula compares favorably with the 44 mag hunting loads.

the BP loads are fun and for cleanup allow me to state the why I have so much fun with them ... to clean the rifle I go at it as such ...

1- i PULL thru the bore a double patch with my string cleaner soaked with Ballistol/water mix in a 10 part water to 1 part ballistol mix.
    2- I then PULL it thru the second time folded with the dirty side inside the patch.
    3- then look down the bore as the barrel is startlingly clean with almost all the fouling gone.
    4- now I use my rod and PUSH a ballistol soaked single patch down and back 10 times.
    5- turning it over on the tip of my rod I run it down and back out another 10 times.
    6- now I run a dry patch down and up 5 times to dry the bore.
    7- now I oil a patch and run it in and out 5 times ... I take this oily patch and rub down the rest of the rifle.

all in all it takes 4 patch's ... just 2 more then the smokeless loads require for cleaning and sometimes I need the 4 patch's for a complete and proper cleaning with the smokeless loads so it be a push in some cases ... no more elbo grease and the smell of BP and ballistol just makes me smile ... instead of the foul odor of the ammonia cleaners needed to dissolve the smokeless powder fouling.

that's it. except for the first string PULLs this is JUST as easy to clean as any smokeless loads I ever clean up after. not taking any more cleaning supply's and NOT taking any ammonia stinking scrubbers to the barrel.

well that's my storie ... im not gonna waver nor stutter ... and ... im gonna wait to see what others do with their Winchester model '92' rifles in 45 colt chamber.

thanks for the help and I look forward to hearing about more loads and experiences with this little dandy. maybe a hunting experience or two with them.
    Last edited by bigted; 03-02-2014 at 09:05 PM.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by bigted View Post
    my expectations outdo the 44 mag in the final equation. my little 45 colt with a 266 grain boolit going 1700 fps carry's a 29 in KO figure. this comes in over my old 270 loads by a bunch and hovers just below the 45-70 with a 350 grain boolit. not bad according to this formula.
    Now you get my reasoning for so much praise for the .45 Colt. It's not a 45-70 never was intended to be, but with the Lee C452-300-RF boolit over modern powders, it handily steps over a .44 Magnum and gets right up under the momentum and power of the old gatling gun cartridge. The Lee boolit runs right at 320gr lubed and checked here.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    Now you get my reasoning for so much praise for the .45 Colt. It's not a 45-70 never was intended to be, but with the Lee C452-300-RF boolit over modern powders, it handily steps over a .44 Magnum and gets right up under the momentum and power of the old gatling gun cartridge. The Lee boolit runs right at 320gr lubed and checked here.
    And my exact reasoning for not owning a 44.

I've got a 41mag and a 45 colt. If top end loads aren't enough, I need a rifle. Then I play with my 45/70.

If I need more than my 45/70 slinging major lead at 1700 FPS, I shoulda stayed at home!

I've got a few rifles to handle longer range stuff, but under 100-150, my 45/70 definitely gets the nod.

***BigTed***
    I'm not sure why you need ammonia based cleaners unless shooting jacketed. Powder, lube, soot should clean up fine with Hoppes #9 or other general cleaner. I only use ammonia to cut copper, mostly in my 22-250. Even now, they have ammonia free copper cleaners that work fair.

I use the "Butch's bore shine" and it smells like pure ammonia to me but ... having come from a home where my dad would inspect all weapons after putting them away ... er just before they were put away ... I can say that if there were ever any black on any patch ... my involvement with the guns was curtailed till I learned to "clean em proper". its the why of why I like black powder ... it is easy to return the weapon to pristine condition ... not so much with smokeless powder.

is Hoppes #9 not an ammonia based cleaner? it has been years since I used it ... may be time to remedy this condition. I used it as a kid and it seemed like it took lotza scrubbing to bring the fouling outta the metal ... coarse I was using the metal jackets then too so maybe that IS it.

I still maintain that the BP loads will do most jobs needing to be accomplished with a 45 Colt in a rifle. I cant imagine ... if hit rite ... a snazzy little blacktail buck wouldn't meet his ancestors when hit with a 260 or 300 grain boolit of a soft metal mix. heck we used to feed the family with a whole lot less then that amount of power ... coarse the deer ... like it sounds like all other game animals ... could have gotten a lot tougher in the last 40 years. ahhh guess its just me huh?

Boolit Buddy
    This is the best .45 Colt data I've found. Would like to see more 296/110 info...
    Thanks
    M

yep ... me too. I cant find those powders yet but as soon as I can ... unless someone else beats me to it.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by bigted View Post
    yep ... me too. I cant find those powders yet but as soon as I can ... unless someone else beats me to it.
    I'm using 21 grs of 296 under a similar boolit from Ranch Dog but haven't tried it in a rifle. I shoot it in my Ruger. Only shoot BP in my other .45's.
    Dunno what I'm doing wrong but my smokeless cleanup uses more patches and takes longer than BP. Only takes 4 patches for a revolver, 3 for a frontstuffer. Smokeless takes a minimum of 5, generally at least 6 patches.
    Ya'll are going to force me to bring that Trapper out of retirement.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

c-mon Tex ... ya know yer gonna ... jest *** whell getter did ... drag that hummer out and get with the program my friend. that Winchester aint gonna shake itself out.

I am havin a ball with my 45 Colt in this Winchester. we are waiting for your range report and fins with loads and accuracy.

Vendor Sponsor

I accumulated my .45 Colt loads over the years, some came from John Taffin and other writers published in the gun rags before any of us had internet, but the majority of what I use now comes from the current Hodgdon data.

Since way back when I first started loading for Rugers and Trappers, I used 22.5gr W296 or H110 interchangeably under all of the heavy boolits without incident or pressure signs, it just seems a sweet spot for a case with this much volume under the base of the boolit. I use 340gr SSK PB hardcast w/lino over .060" wax sheet gas checks, talk about a load that will rock your world shooting it out of a 4 5/8" Vaquero, whew!

The two fired boolits on the left are exactly those 340gr SSK TC PB designs, they had been driven endways through 32" to 36" of seasoned oak out of that Vaquero when they were recovered between rows of stacked firewood.

Boolit Master
    Here is an article on the 45 Colt in lever guns http://www.leverguns.com/articles/pa...ltlevergun.htm

Boolit Bub

Ted, I had to size mine at .454 for accuracy.

I've been shooting the .45 Colt in a rifle since 1997 or thereabouts. I don't hunt much so haven't harvested any game with it. I do like to shoot steel animals though.

I do like H4227 under a 250-260 gr cast bullet for 1,600 (24.5 grs) and 1,721 (26 grs - capacity load).

With the Gould 330 gr. h.p. .45-70 bullet sized to .457, 20 grs of 296 ballistically duplicates the vintage .45-70-330 loading (1,385 f.p.s.) and is not a maximum load.

I agree that the .45 Colt with b.p. is a lot of fun! Several years ago I tested some original UMC .45 Colt b.p. cartridges (pre 1911) to see what they would have produced in a rifle if a rifle had been chambered in .45 Colt back then. I did have to replace the primers which were dead. Anyway, average velocity ...... 1,241 f.p.s. 40 grs of Swiss or Olde Enysford FFG will provide a ballistic equivalent to the b.p. ammo in the days of yore........

Which bullet are you using? 45-260B? C? D? etc.

w30wcf
    aka w44wcf
    aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
    aka John Kort
    NRA Life Member
    .22 W.C.F., .30 W.C.F., .44 W.C.F. Cartridge Historian

my boolit is the 45-260F. it has a generous lube groove and seems to fly pretty good rite now. I am on the search for an old steel Lyman/Ideal receiver sight as this gives me the best of all worlds for accuracy ... don't really get along with the wrist mounted flip-up sights but the receiver mounted peep with the adjustment nobs is just what the doctor ordered.

I have 1 can of 2F GOEX that I been hoarding so think I will open it and load a few 40 grain loads with it and settle both the 266 grain as well as the Lee 301 grain hollow base boolits on there to see what the 2F gives me velocity wise.

Boolit Master

I had a 45 colt in a 92 rossi to follow mw home yesterday,I don't know how it will group but with 6.3 grains of titegroup the four times I shot it at a target at 25 yds I hit with it out of the box.I will see what it will do when the weather clears.There was this guy that was at the gunshop said he reamed the chamber of his Rossi out to 454 and did some minor adjustment to the cartiage lift for the longer boolit.He offered to go get it and let me shoot it but the only intrest I had was if the action was strong enough for the Ruger and Contender loads and that was my answer.The four shots I did pleased me.If I had wanted a 454 Consul I would have bought it in that Chamber and have no intentions trying to make a race horse out of the 45 colt.
    Are my kids/grandkids more important than "o"'s kids, to me they are,darn tooting they are!!! They deserve the same armed protection afforded "o"'s kids.
    I have been hoodwinked but not by"o"
    In God we trust,in "o" never trust
    Support those that support the Constitution and the 2nd Amendant

guess I had not contemplated the 330 Lyman sized down to fit the case. this sounds interesting and I intend to give it a try. thanks for the tip.

I don't desire to "race horse" my colt chamber either but ... this little rifle is such a sweety that id like to collect game with it as it would carry like a champ and the love affair is just going to get sweeter as time goes by. I want to develop loads that I can ... plink ... hunt ... target shoot ... general rock busting ... so this is the experimentation road I am running. I have settled on a good blackpowder load ...[tho I will continue to experiment n play with it in search of that magical load]... I also have a fairly good load developed with the 2400 powder but the boolits still have mystery and other powders as well sooo ... the pursuit continues with this dandy rifle and I am havin a ball with it.

thanks for all the hints and suggestions and I look forward to all the thoughts and experiences you all have to contribute. for all the foo-forah of the fact that there was never in history ... a 45 colt chambered rifle ... THERE IS NOW ... about time huh? I really like the 45 caliber and always have. since I grew to an age that enabled me to know what I heard ... I have been enamored with the 45 cal. in rifles and pistols and revolvers. my first revolver was an older cattleman style 45 colt in a 7.5 inch barrel ... first muzzle loader was a 45 cal. in a CVA kit ... my love affair has not diminished over the years and this addition is maybe the best yet.