RotoMetals2Load DataRepackboxLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Powder..whatcha using real or sub?

Boolit Buddy
    I acquired more than a few pounds of GOEX (red and white cans) some years ago from local guys who, for whatever reasons, had given up the sport. It ranges from 4f to 1f. As I shoot through each pound I replace it with Swiss or Old Enysford.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rodwha View Post
    After I've worked up my hunting load in my .50 cal with PRB's I want to see how light I can go and have great small game accuracy at 25 yds until I buy a proper smaller caliber.
    20-30 gr is about perfect for accuracy at 25 yards 3f worked better with these light charges

and better yet you can get it to shoot dead on at 25 with the right charge of powder and not have to touch your sights from your hunting load typically

how low can you go , very low a little real black tricked under the nipple will get a ball 40 yards down range before hitting the dirt and bouncing 2 times to 100 when held level and fired to get a ball loaded on no powder out
    Last edited by GREENCOUNTYPETE; 02-26-2014 at 04:54 PM.

Boolit Master
    I shoot and practice for woods walk competition. The reason I bring this up is because I use a sloppy wet patch. This works great with real black powder but not so well with subs. The reason for such a wet patch is to be able to load and keep reasonable accuracy without cleaning for as many shots as you need.

Boolit Buddy
    Goex 2f in a TC Hawken; 777 in a sidelock TC lock, Douglas barrel, .451 slip fit boolit built by Dr. Gary White; Blackhorn 209 in Knight Bighorn .50.

Just started shooting Bighorn 209 not enough shots to have much of an opinion except you sure do get a lot of carbon fouling. Cant find the recomended magnum 209 primers so Im using regular Winchester 209s. I do not know if a magnum primer might ignite and burn more of the powder and cut down on the fouling. Time will tell.

Boolit Buddy
    Goex and Pyrodex in a .58, .54, .50, .50, .50, .50, .40, .40 and eventually the .451 and .36. I have some mid-1990's Elephant I haven't tried yet.

Boolit Master
    Loaded up on some Graff FFF last year while it was on sale. Until then I was buying Goex at the local gun shop for $25.00/lb. Still have about 1/2lb of FF left which I'm using up but plan to stay with FFF for my rocklocks and model cannons.

Boolit Master
    I shoot Homemade Black Powder, for about $2 a # use it in my Muzzle loaders and BPCR 45/70's. get the same FPS as with Goex. read the stickies lots of good information there.
    Frank G.

Boolit Buddy

Homemade Black
    The problem with our society is a decline in morals, only the people of this once great nation can choose to correct that problem, morality cannot be regulated by our government.

Boolit Master
    Frank G.

Boolit Master
    Got into black about the time Atom 73 posted his thread. With Fly and Boz 303 keeping things interesting I decided to give it a try. Not the wet method but with ball rolling. First batch I have to admit was a joke. But as Atom73 thread progressed so did my knowledge as did my powder improve. Never got into pistol so there was no need to puck it. Just the usual screening to proper kernel size is all I do. Haven't regretted once getting involved in its making. These days I have about 8-10 lbs of Gorex 2-FF & 3FFF aging on the shelf. My rifles are sighted in for the homemade. I doubt my Gorex on hand will be used up anytime soon.

Boolit Master

Holy black, in percussion revolvers and CW era muskets and Sharps Berdan.
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Boolit Buddy
    3f goex in .32 to .62cal prime and main. and now .45-70. tried subs when i started but saw the light using real bp.

Banned
    3F Goex is what I have on hand. Should have purchased the Swiss Kik when I had the chance a few years ago. I ran across 10 pounds of it at a good price but didn't want to buy that much at the time and the seller wouldn't break the lot down.