Titan ReloadingLoad DataRepackboxInline Fabrication
WidenersRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky

Thread: Choking a SG barrel

Boolit Master

Choking a SG barrel

I have a Remington 1100 that i would like to have the barrel bored and threaded for chokes. Right now its a rifle sight cylinder bore.
    Who would you recommend sending the barrel to to have it bored and threaded for interchangable chokes?
    "In GOD We Trust"

Boolit Master
    I suggest you contact Mike Orlen for the barrel work. He has done excellent work for me. His turn around is quick and his prices reasonable.

See:

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/view...p?f=12&t=36237

Boolit Buddy
    I would agree from what I have read Mike does good work at a reasonable price. He also occasionally gives discounts to SGW members.

Vendor Sponsor

Lefty: have a look at Briley. They make choke tubes and they also fit them to barrels. They are kind of the goto outfit for this type of thing since they do more than any other outfit.

http://www.briley.com/

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Banned

I've had Briley do several, but I have no experience with any other person or company in that regard. I very pleased with them. They even did a jug choke on my Nikko and got it down to a light modified, the barrels were too thin for screw-ins.

Gear

Boolit Buddy
    I am not bashing Briley nor am I affiliated with Mike Orleans but while Briley will charge $269.00 for installation and a 3 tube set Mike will charge you $55.00 (less if you are dealer or have discount) for installation and a 3 tube set. Your choice.

Boolit Bub
    Do you have a link or email address for Mike Orleans?

Boolit Master

Open the link for the shotgun forum posted above and his info will come up. Prices are still the same I called him this afternoon as I asked about getting remchoke tubes put in my Win 97 since it is already cut off at 20 inches. When I get the extra cash I am going to send him the barrel and one of my remchoke tubes and have him do the work. Even with shipping it would be cheaper then what the local gunsmith charges.
    A gun is like a parachute: If you need one and don't have one, you won't be needing one again.

Boolit Master
    The trouble with having gunsmiths install choke tubes is that the tooling for each system is expensive. You pay a large chunk of that for a small or recently equipped gunsmith, or less for one who shares it around more customers or got enough to pay for it already.

Also "can't be done" very often means "can't be done with the tooling we have." There are, for example, two Tru-choke systems, one with the threads 0.020in. smaller than the other, for thinner barrels. There is of course a "can't be done at all" level, even when there is enough metal to be safe in the unmodified shotgun. But it can be worth shopping around for someone with a system to cope with your muzzle dimensions.

I vaguely remember two other methods for which I don't know of the source or current availability. One is choke tubes to be permanently soft soldered into a bore recessed with a special cutter. The other is a threaded sleeve which can be soldered over the muzzle of a single barreled gun with thin walls.

For a very short barrelled shotgun, the extended choke tubes sold for use with steel shot are worth considering. The choke is some way in front of the muzzle, to allow thicker walls to stop it being swollen by the shot. So the few extra inches it provides will reduce blast (in what is likely to be a more sociable style of shooting), and may improve pattern be reduced terminal pressure as well as the choke itself.
    Last edited by Ballistics in Scotland; 03-01-2014 at 07:50 AM.

Boolit Master

Can an old smoothbore barrel be rifled at a reasonable price or is this impractical?

Boolit Master

Im sending the barrel out monday for chokes and forcing cone work.
    Thanks for the help
    "In GOD We Trust"

Boolit Master

Got my barrel back today from Orlen. Man that was fast! Now waiting on choke tubes, cant wait to pattern it!
    "In GOD We Trust"