Inline FabricationWidenersLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Repackbox
Lee Precision Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dogs and living with allergies - need some advice

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
    The drugs that can be used as meth precursors are DECONGESTANTS, such as pseudoephedrine; the drugs you take to control allergies are ANTIHISTAMINES, such as cetirizine or diphenhydramine, and the DEA doesn't care at all about those. The problem with antihistamines is that you must switch drugs every 6 weeks or so to maintain efficacy.
    From your friendly non-local pharmacist-
    I know this but all of our retailers put them all behind the counter and enter your name in the database to purchase. It's a state law and I'm not having any part of it. I used to get my allergy meds by prescription but my med insurance doesn't cover them any more because most have an over the counter alternative available which brings me right back around to my original problem.

I like the idea of visiting a breeder of one I'm interested in, never thought of that. I'll have to try that out and see how it goes.

Generous Donator

Quote Originally Posted by Jailer View Post
    Are you talking a Dachshund?

I should have mentioned no ankle biters. I want something that will provide a little protection if I'm not around.
    I have 4 ankle biters. 1 doesn't like anybody new and will bite if we don't put his electronic collar on him. One other one will bite but not as mean as we can tell him to cool it. The other 2 doxies are mellow but bark.

Boolit Buddy
    Just checked Michigan law--combos such as Claritin-D (with pseudoephedrine) require record keeping; straight antihistamines do not (plain Claritin or Zyrtec). Besides, you're posting on a firearms board and worrying about a state drug database monitored by DEA mandated algorithms?

Boolit Master
    Talk to your Dr. about flonase nasal spray or generic equivalent. I did the whole allergy thing. Wasn't till I was prescribed those steroid nasal sprays did I find any relief.

Winelover

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Jailer View Post
    How much work does it take to keep them groomed? How well do they do in colder climates. It will be an inside dog but the winters can be long and cold here in MI.

I will check into this, thanks.
    Jailer, Depending on how you style their hair, its not that bad. Mine are in what would be called a modified puppy cut, their hair is essentially about a 1/2" long all over except for the end of the tail and top of the head. They do just fine in cold climates, Just leave the hair a little longer, an inch or inch and a half long is good. I had two other poodles when we lived in Maine. They did just fine with snow.

Banned

getting a dog tested for allergys can be expensive. try some over the counter for human benedryl (spelling) My dog had allergys real bad for about a year. Had rashes all over his body. Benedryl was recomended by my vet to stop the itching and worked well other then he slept alot more. After about a year the problem just disapeared

Boolit Bub
    I will first suggest to you sir, that you get on line and purchase one of those Air Filters like I did. Now there are a ton of them out there but only 2 that filter way down to .003 mircons. The cost was $800 dollars and worth every penny. My wife took shots for 2 years, she coughed a lot but this machine has cut that down 70%. She also sleeps with it in her room.

Now for dogs, you need a short haired type of dog. There are many breeds to choose from, take your time and look into each one as to what you want. I raise German Shorthair Pointers, they need 45 minutes of hard exercise per day. So if you are not into taking such a dog out, then don't NOT choose any hunting breeds OK>
    "GOD Bless America & Our Troops"