MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLoad DataRepackbox
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationLee PrecisionWideners
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lee six cavity .452 200 grain TL semi-wadcutter mold?

Boolit Master

Lee six cavity .452 200 grain TL semi-wadcutter mold?

I just placed an order for a Lee six cavity .452 200 grain TL semi-wadcutter mold for the .45 Auto. Anyone have any experience with these in a 1911 pistol? I was going to get a 230 grain truncated cone mold, but this one popped up. From my experience I enjoy the 200 grain weight boolit in the .44 Special more than the 240 grain, so I thought I would give this one a try.

My main concern is whether the 200 grain SWC will feed in a 1911 pattern pistol? I am pretty much decided on a tumble lube mold design, so that is not really an issue, just whether the 200 grain SWC will feed well?

Thanks for your input.

(And for those of you for whom it applies, Happy Father's Day)
    "There is not a single instance in history in which civil liberty was lost, and religious liberty preserved entire. If therefore we yield up our temporal property, we at the same time deliver the conscience into bondage." --John Witherspoon, The Dominion of Providence Over the Passions of Men. 1776

"The words of the Lord are pure words, like silver refined in a furnace on the ground, purified seven times." Psalm 12:6 (E.S.V.)

I know its not a 1911, or a 45... but my sig sp2022 in 40sw feeds SWC's all day long. it did, however, take me a couple of trial loads to figure out a proper OAL and crimp to get feeding reliable. I find backing off a tad on powder charge, and crimping tighter with a taper crimp is the ticket. the round still headspaces properly on the end of the case, and no feeding hiccups whatsoever.

I have shot lots of 200 grain SWC through my 1911's with no troubles, as long as the bullet is seated deep enough. Only a sliver of the shoulder should be showing above the case mouth. Too much and the slide will not go into battery. I have poured some Lee tumble lube 200 grain bullets like your mould you have coming, but I have never loaded them.

Boolit Buddy
    your 200 grainers shouldn´t give you any trouble, fired a few thou through my Springfield Trophy Match with no troubles.
    Uwe

Boolit Bub
    they shoot great in my milspec and xds

Boolit Master
    they work fine in 1911's. I have a 6 cavity from the first year Lee made them, I have cast about 7 or 8 thousand boolits with it. I did not even lube the mould for the first 4,000 rds or so!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by quasi View Post
    they work fine in 1911's. I have a 6 cavity from the first year Lee made them, I have cast about 7 or 8 thousand boolits with it. I did not even lube the mould for the first 4,000 rds or so!
    Thanks guys I appreciate the responses.

exile
    "There is not a single instance in history in which civil liberty was lost, and religious liberty preserved entire. If therefore we yield up our temporal property, we at the same time deliver the conscience into bondage." --John Witherspoon, The Dominion of Providence Over the Passions of Men. 1776

"The words of the Lord are pure words, like silver refined in a furnace on the ground, purified seven times." Psalm 12:6 (E.S.V.)

I used that boolit in my 1911 fed great shot nice clays powder. And old timer sold those to me for 12.00 dollars per 500 boy I miss that.

Boolit Master

I use that bullet exclusively in my 1011's and have very good results.
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Boolit Master
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	at long last 1911 021.jpg 
Views:	398 
Size:	85.0 KB 
ID:	73939

Shot it for the first time today, unfortunately with factory ammo, really enjoyed it, definately "minute of can" at 25 yards, very low recoil, nice trigger, fun to shoot. My wife enjoyed it, which is good since it is her gun.

Looking forward to getting that mold, take care guys.

exile

Boolit Bub
    I've had feed issues with that bullet in my SR1911, maybe 1 in 50. That being said, they are extremely accurate.

Boolit Buddy
    Nice weapon man, but seriously get to loading them boolits.
    I shoot about half of the lee 200s and half of their 230s out of my
    RIAs and .45 acp revolvers. the 200s are faster and kick more
    but always run well out of my pistols.
    btw, what is it like to shoot a long slide? that is really long.
    oh, sorry just realized you didn't get your molds yet. but when you do
    get to it!

Boolit Master
    Use the regular lube Lee in my SA Range Officer. Seating depth is important and you may need to experiment to see what works best for you. Had to do that with mine, had an occasional feed problem, round would start into the chamber and nose would get stuck on the top of the chamber. Tried a few different seating depths and the problem has gone away. The SWC is very accurate in my RO.

I had a AMT long Slide In the 1980s had a oxford light sight took double aa batteries. Also had a Jim Clark mount that replaced the left grip drilled two holes in grip frame for that rig. It'll shoot SWC tl 200gr just fine.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by daniel lawecki View Post
    I had a AMT long Slide In the 1980s had a oxford light sight took double aa batteries. Also had a Jim Clark mount that replaced the left grip drilled two holes in grip frame for that rig. It'll shoot SWC tl 200gr just fine.
    Thanks guys. As this is our first 1911, any suggestions on magazines?

exile

Boolit Master

I have been lusting after a long slide since about 1970.

I have never even seen one "in real life".

First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

I know this is an old thread but I have a RI 1911 that will eat everything i feed it. My Colt Commander does not like swc boolits at all.

I just started casting with the Lee 200 SWC TL. I have a Springfield 1911 that shoots them just fine. I have a Para Ordinance SF45 with a ramped barrel that won't feed this bullet or a factory SWC bullet that I have tried.

Boolit Grand Master

I've had mixed results with SWC Cast in a couple of 45ACP pistols. I had to play with the OAL a bit before I got them to feed and an XDS I was loading for simply would not load them at all no matter what I did.

Will they load? Only your pistol can tell you that and if they don't just pull the rest, melt them down and cast them as something else like a rnfp.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    Will they load? Only your pistol can tell you that and if they don't just pull the rest, melt them down and cast them as something else like a rnfp.
    That's true, I like the SWCs in the pistol that shoots them well because they make very sharp holes. I've had several comments at IDPA matches how my holes look "bigger' than other 45s. One person even asked if I was shooting a 50 caliber pistol.

But my Para won't cycle more than a couple SWC bullets without jamming, so I don't even bother with them in that gun anymore.